2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423229 - 07/04/06 01:58 PM Will I be hurting my X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I've done a ton of research on a PML for my Xterra and I'm 99% ready to order the shackles. Before I do I decided to check with the pros one last time. Next year I'll be off to college and BROKE! I take my Xterra on some pretty hardcore trails and while I do take care of it after, it can get beat around. Seeing as it will be difficult to replace things that may break, I need to know if a PML is going to give my truck any MORE reason for a major part to break. I understand that off-roading a vehicle can, over time, wear it quicker than not off-roading. I would like to get some input from XOC to find out will a PML wear down my vehicle quicker than w/o a PML? Thanks a lot.
Travis

#423230 - 07/04/06 02:43 PM Re: Will I be hurting my X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your t-bars will eventually need to be replaced if you're doing even mediocre wheeling
As for what the PML will do, it will wear out your stock steering faster than it would normally (when wheeling it goes quick laugh ) the most affordable steering replacement is the L&P setup (www.lpperformance.com) that you can do in three stages or all at once.
[Wave]

#423231 - 07/04/06 04:31 PM Re: Will I be hurting my X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been running my PML for over a year now and I've not seen any side effects yet. I don't have any steering upgrades and I wheel it.

So far torsion bars have not sagged at all. I do remember that I needed to adjust one slightly but they all do that over time.

PML would be the easiest and less envolving (in terms of wear, additional parts, difficulty to install) upgrade. I say go for it.

#423232 - 08/04/06 07:50 AM Re: Will I be hurting my X?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Your t-bars will eventually need to be replaced if you're doing even mediocre wheeling
Huh? I'm still on my 6 year old stock t-bars, and you can ask anyone, I'm not gentle on 'em.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#423233 - 08/04/06 09:58 AM Re: Will I be hurting my X?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Going by personal expoerience here, mine are saggy and re-indexing them only lasts about 3-5 months before I have to do it again.
I've got a T-17 out front and a PML also replaced the front shocks with 10% stiffer bills, soon to be replaced with 20%.

#423234 - 08/04/06 07:33 PM Re: Will I be hurting my X?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Some people have saggy t-bars w/o doing anything...so YMMV, etc.

The PML doesn't sag the bars per se....tightening the tension does not sag them.

It can stress the steering very slightly...its only 1.5" different.

If you try to go higher than the 1.5" though, you leave the range of factory adjustment, and see more problems.

So, other than the shackles...you will need a wheel alignment, and that should cover you.

Enjoy!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal