Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423989 - 15/02/05 05:56 AM Leveling out front end
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
I have reaad through searches that there should be a slight bias left to right as far as ride height on the front end. I've cranked my torsion bars, 6 times each and had the truck aligned a day later. Now, another day later, the passenger side is 1/2 inch higher than the left at the reference points that I used on the frame (found through search). Just for the heck of it, I found that one crank up on the driver side and one crank down on the passenger shortened the difference between the two to 1/4 inch. I should probably put the settings back to what it was when it was aligned, but I was wondering if you think that one opposing crank of either side would throw the alignment off significantly. Which brings me to my next question. After my T-bar crank, only caster and toe were out. I thought camber would have been out (positively) after 6 cranks, but it was not. Could someone please explain? Could this condition been pre-existing?

#423990 - 15/02/05 08:52 AM Re: Leveling out front end
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
I've noticed that most Xterras, even at stock height, have a noticeable positive camber (the tires look like they're leaning out at the top).

Adjusting the torsion bars a turn or two won't affect alignment very much at all. Heck, on my previous 4x2, I did a five turn crank on each side to bring the front end up. Waited until I bought new tires to have the alignment checked and it was within tolerance enough to not touch it. I drove several thousand miles after that without any abnormal tire wear.

#423991 - 16/02/05 03:12 PM Re: Leveling out front end
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
BTW - After cranking...some settling time is required to get the final adjustment right.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#423992 - 16/02/05 04:03 PM Re: Leveling out front end
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
getting the front end level is a never ending battle. as long as it doesnt bug you when you drive it dont worry too much. just make sure everything is tight and nothing is too far off, use the old JDLR (just dont look right) method to make sure you good. like what was said above drive the truck for a while to let it all settle out. have fun.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#423993 - 16/02/05 07:56 PM Re: Leveling out front end
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
Thanks for your replies. But as far as cranking goes, should caster and toe be affected? Or do you think my alignement was out to begin with? I would have thought camber would be mostly affected, but my alignment proved that wrong, unless it was off in the opposite direction, and adjusting the preload corrected it smile

#423994 - 05/03/05 05:17 PM Re: Leveling out front end
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just did AAL's and new shocks today with the Tbar crank. On the alignment rack we noticed that as long as we kept the front end sides even in cranked height the alignment was good to go. With a deviation of about 1/2 inch from left to right in ride height (measured from ground to frame) we started to lose alignment.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal