2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424332 - 26/05/07 05:59 PM With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had an occassion for first time to really load up my x. Had to transport my son, and some of his bands equipment to a gig, which is really heavy. Drums, amps, pa systems etc.
I can really feel the difference in the acceleration and braking with all the extra weight.
In one way, it feels better when in traffic, as the truck doesnt react to the gas pedal as much, and your takeoffs are really smoother.
Upon unloading my son and his equipment, the ride home, made the x, truly feel light a butterfly and very light and spright, and springy.
Is it just my feelings or do you feel the same sensations?

Stay safe

#424333 - 26/05/07 07:22 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea weight in the back really smooths out the ride. I have to say about 200 lb in the back does wonders for the right. not as much for the agility and speed but hey I didnt buy my X for that.

#424334 - 26/05/07 09:32 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anytime you have a load on, your Xterra will perform more like a truck, and IMO that is a good thing.

#424335 - 28/05/07 07:19 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, I've had mine loaded to where i'm bottoming out on speed bumps. Makes the ride much smoother.

#424336 - 17/06/07 08:06 AM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not even 265 horse power is enough to violate the laws of physics. Newton's laws of motion effect the Xterra just like they do the planets.

An object at rest (stopped) tends to remain at rest unless acted upon by an outside source (265 horse). An object in motion (moving) tends to remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside source (brakes/fiction).

Mass times accelleration equals velocity. The more massive something is the harder it is to move. The more massive a moving object is the harder it is to stop. The suspension is going ot behave differently loaded up with sevral hundred pounds of PA equipment than it did when empty.

If you have custom shocks or spings made for you one of the questions they ask is your typical loading and if you want the suspension "tuned" for that load or for empty.

I've been an avid camper and outdoorsmen for +25 years. I do notice the differnce when the X is loaded with all my camping gear, extra fuel and water but much less so than my old 120 horse power Honda CR-V that the X replaced. laugh

#424337 - 18/06/07 12:14 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulXyZ:
Mass times accelleration equals velocity.
Might want to double check that one.

I'll give you a hint...FORCE.

#424338 - 18/06/07 05:37 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketX:
Quote:
[b]Mass times accelleration equals velocity.

I'll give you a hint...FORCE.[/b]
hell, I'll do you one better and just give you the answer...

The integral of acceleration equals velocity.

The integral of velocity equals distance.

(both are over a set amt. of time...)

[Finger]

#424339 - 30/06/07 05:25 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After altogether to much research, second gen Xs are undersprung in the back. Whereas the HP allows you to sting like a bee, the rear suspension has you floating like a butterfly (I wonder if Ali has an Xterra). There are many solutions to this problem, which you will find in this suspension forum and in the 2nd Gen forum.

My solution was to install SuperSprings. BUT... if you are second gen, do NOT accept the SSA3 model. Insist on a rear shackle with four total holes, not three. I installed a SSA3 and the back end rose 3 inches. They later sent the four hole shackle.

And BTW, those guys at SuperSprings are great! Seriously into making sure the customer is happy.

#424340 - 30/06/07 08:39 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed an ARB bumper (no winch) and the extra few LBS of extra weight has made the ride much smoother. I have the SLR econ lift and steering on order (ordered one month ago...hope to get it next month!) [Wave] with 20% stiffer bilsteins up front. I am really looking forward to seeing how it improves the ride even more!

#424341 - 18/07/07 09:30 PM Re: With weight , do you feel the difference?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketX:
Quote:
[b]Mass times accelleration equals velocity.

I'll give you a hint...FORCE.[/b]
Yeah that's the one ... I keep getting that one mixed up with the unified field theory.

(Paul had his last physic course +25 years ago!)

I added 138 pounds of Shrock front bumper and 105 pounds worth of winch to that. Big time change in the feel of the truck. I've got the AC lift springs and until now the front end felt "nervous" and a bit light. Now it feels right again however there is now a pronouced understeer on the street. I don't race around the streets with the truck but feel it big time.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal