2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424370 - 14/02/04 07:32 PM X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had the dealer do a front end alignment the other day, and when I was looking at the x in the driveway, it looked crooked. I looked at the wheel gaps, and the driver side is larger than the passenger side. Is the x able to have the ride height adjusted? Oh yeah, the suspension is stock. Could I fix this on my own, cause I don't feel like taking it to the dealer again, it has been in and out of the dealer for the past three weeks, it's had a bad month!

#424371 - 14/02/04 08:06 PM Re: X sits crooked
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
The X front suspension can be adjusted easily. Especially for minor adjustments. All you need to do is crank the torsion bars up or down.

#424372 - 14/02/04 09:20 PM Re: X sits crooked
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Keep in mind that it's nearly impossible to find an area flat enough to get it exact and even the smallest bump in the road can make it appear off. Even with a flat surface, it's nearly impossible to get it level. Turning the wheels, getting in and out, breathing, anything will cause it to change. Also, changing the ride height affects the alignment, so you may need to have it realligned after changing the height. I would have changed the height before that alignment! wink I'd say if it's within 1/4" or so I wouldn't bother with it. All you'll end up doing is changing it all the time because everytime you park it will sit differently. You will go insane before you actually find a level ride height.

#424373 - 14/02/04 11:26 PM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

My driveway is tabletop flat, and the passenger side is 1" lower than the driver side. I know it isn't a huge difference, but it makes the car look kinda junky. Do I need any special tools to turn the torsion bars, and where exactly do I turn them at? I'm not to familiar with torsion bars and 4x4s, my neck of the woods is my other car, which is a 2002 Subaru WRX. Thanks for all the help!

#424374 - 14/02/04 11:49 PM Re: X sits crooked
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Petty:
Do I need any special tools to turn the torsion bars, and where exactly do I turn them at? I'm not to familiar with torsion bars and 4x4s,
See here: http://www.xterra4x4.com/mods/Owners/T-bars/T-bars.html

#424375 - 28/02/04 03:52 PM Re: X sits crooked
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Actually I think Nissan is setting them up at the factory with the driver higher. Mine came that way, too. Crank up your passenger side torsion bar and it will level it out.

#424376 - 01/03/04 05:33 PM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I leveled out the front end, but now I have a new problem. About a month ago, I broke my passenger side leaf springs, and I took it to the dealer and they replaced the spring pack on the passenger side. Well, about a week ago, the driver side leaf springs broke, and they replaced them also. Now when I look at the back the left side is higher than the right side. I measured the wheel gaps, and the driver side measures 5 1/2", and the passenger side measures 5". Is this because the newer springs haven't settled yet, or did the dealer screw something up? Oh yeah my wife weighs 125, so I don't think she had much to do with the truck sitting crooked

#424377 - 01/03/04 05:34 PM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I leveled out the front end, but now I have a new problem. About a month ago, I broke my passenger side leaf springs, and I took it to the dealer and they replaced the spring pack on the passenger side. Well, about a week ago, the driver side leaf springs broke, and they replaced them also. Now when I look at the back the left side is higher than the right side. I measured the wheel gaps, and the driver side measures 5 1/2", and the passenger side measures 5". Is this because the newer springs haven't settled yet, or did the dealer screw something up? Oh yeah my wife weighs 125, so I don't think she had much to do with the truck sitting crooked [LOL]

#424378 - 01/03/04 05:35 PM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

oops!

#424379 - 01/03/04 05:57 PM Re: X sits crooked
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You'll never get it perfectly level; trust me!

Mine sits 3/8" higher on the right rear than the left rear and 1/4" higher at the left front than the right front (I set it up like that in front to compensate for driver) at the fenders. I don't know of anyone with an Xterra that is completely level. You'll drive yourself insane trying to get it perfect. BTW, be glad yours is lower on the right in back...IMO, that's a better way to sit because it's probably level when you get in. Remember too, the gas tank is on the right side so the right side is heavier on the right unless you add to the left to compensate. And yes, the left side probably hasn't settled as much as the right so that gap will probably decrease.

Another thing to consider is that the body may not be exactly even from side to side. In other words, if you were to take measurements to the frame, you may get the same number on each side. I know I generally get even numbers at the frame, but not the body. Same with the rear axle and bumpstops. The distance between the axle and bumpstops on each side is the same on my truck, which would seem to indicate the frame is riding level. I can almost guarranty that everywhere you measure you're going to get conflicting information.

Just an FYI. I went out and measured my truck at the back in three different places. I have 31" A/T tires at equal pressure and I have a 3 inch lift.

Axle to bumpstops: 3-3/8" left, 3-1/2" right (5-3/8" L, 5-1/2" R without bump extensions).

Floor to fender (measuring through center of wheel): 36-1/2" left, 37" right.

Tire to fender: 8" left, 8-1/4" right.

So, as you can see, there is a 1/2" discrepency from floor to fender, 1/4" discrepency from tire to fender, and 1/8" discrepency at the bumpstops.

#424380 - 01/03/04 06:10 PM Re: X sits crooked
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
think yours is crooked? (my xterra a few weeks ago, she's fixed now though)>

and that's a 3" lift installed.

#424381 - 01/03/04 07:33 PM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm just being anal about how it sits, but I can't help it [Crybaby] That pic looked like mine until I adjusted the torsion bars!! I'm picky about my cars, so I notice the littlest things. On my 2002 Subaru WRX, I had it dropped about 2 inches, and now that the tire is closer to the edge of the fender I can tell that the camber is a little off. I will be getting that fixed very soon smile

#424382 - 01/03/04 07:39 PM Re: X sits crooked
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
your xterra looked like mine? heh you WERE in trouble.

my xterra was the result of a stripped t-bar. that's way lower than it should be.

#424383 - 15/04/04 08:52 AM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine looks the same way after I just got it back from the trans rebuild. I noticed it while driving home from the shop the other day. It's going back in tomorrow for them to level it out. I hope they didn't strip it out as mentioned above... mad

#424384 - 17/04/04 02:22 PM Re: X sits crooked
Anonymous
Unregistered

My X is back from the leveling shop and ready to go. I put a few miles on it today and all seems to be in good shape. [ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal