2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42449 - 29/11/02 07:51 PM lost some coolant..........
yz250fguy Offline

Loc: churning dirt on earth
WHile changing the oil today I noticed the antifreeze overflow was dry. Checked the radiator and it was down some. In total I guess it may have taken 2 quarts.
No evidence of leaks. I remember but couldnt find, I tried, someone having a problem with a hose that ran over the manifold.
Although I dont smell coolant.
I hope its not a head gasket, I would be pissed.
I will be buying the extended warranty before I get to the 36,000 mile point, I worry about this truck sometimes.
ANy ideas what to look for?
Also, anyone have headgasket, or similar problems that I can relay to the dealer when I take it in for a roof rack bar replacement(again).
Thanks,
YZ

#42450 - 29/11/02 08:11 PM Re: lost some coolant..........
Best4x4 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Well I've still battling with a lovely coolant smell, eventually lowering coolant level, and dealerships that keep telling me nothing is wrong with my truck. I paid 160.00 (since they said hoses and hose clamps aren't under the $1300.00 extended warranty!!!) to have them change out a 4 inch long coolant hose at the back of the motor which they told be was impossible to reach without taking the plentum off. Funny when I looked under the hood the next day the hose they replaced was in plain site. My truck still stinks, no visible coolant leaking anyhere (I think it's a head-gasket leak) but no dealer in my area wants to help me get my truck fixed. Now my oil cap keeps popping off and the dealers are like oh wow never heard of that before. They never once mention replacing the cap or both the cover and cap! I guess I'll just take it in when the engine blows up from either a lack of coolant or dirt/mud/bugs/water getting into the engine through the oil filler tube!

I've already taken 3 of my days vacation time in order to take my truck in, and I can't take off anymore right now. I really love my Xterra, but man getting my Nissan dealerships to help me is like pulling teeth from a shark.

Sincerely,

Tad

Best4x4

#42451 - 29/11/02 10:21 PM Re: lost some coolant..........
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Quote:
Originally posted by yz250fguy:
ANy ideas what to look for?

Thanks,
YZ
YZ,

The obvious? If you change your own oil and it looks like a frothy, lite latte then your getting coolant into the oil. BTW I miss valve covers with oil caps laugh Hope it turns out OK man!!

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#42452 - 30/11/02 08:39 AM Re: lost some coolant..........
yz250fguy Offline

Loc: churning dirt on earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Miikkaa:
Quote:
Originally posted by yz250fguy:
[b]ANy ideas what to look for?

Thanks,
YZ
YZ,

The obvious? If you change your own oil and it looks like a frothy, lite latte then your getting coolant into the oil. BTW I miss valve covers with oil caps laugh Hope it turns out OK man!![/b]
no coolant in the oil as of now...........
yz

#42453 - 30/11/02 11:28 AM Re: lost some coolant..........
Ljxterra Offline

Loc: san diego, ca
Quote:
Now my oil cap keeps popping off and the dealers are like oh wow never heard of that before. They never once mention replacing the cap or both the cover and cap!
That happened to a handful of 2000 Xterra's. As far as I know many people including me had our valve cover replaced under warranty

#42454 - 02/12/02 05:40 AM Re: lost some coolant..........
copper017 Offline

Loc: Chicago
I have a 2002 and noticed the coolant level was going down and I could smell an odor; however, there were no visible drips. Dealer put a pressure tester on the cooling system for about an hour and a half with the engine cold and we saw a very slow trickle from the back of the intake manifold. After the dealer replaced the gastker all is well. Hope this helps

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal