2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424582 - 09/03/06 01:57 PM Re: How much is too much?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bluesky, let us know how your adjustment goes. I'd be interested to know if your results are similar to mine. I recently did a PML and had it aligned, asking the tech to make sure I cranked the T-bars evenly. But, when I got it home I noticed that the passenger side was about 1 1/2" lower. After re-cranking for awhile, I finally brought the passeger side up an inch. I then checked my bumpstops and saw that the gap was pretty much even on both sides (about 1/2 inch+), but that I was still nearly 3/4" lower than the driver side (measuring from ground to top center of wheel well). Anyone have an explanation? (yes, tires are evenly inflated).
Thanks for any insight.

#424583 - 09/03/06 02:35 PM Re: How much is too much?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
I cranked up the passenger side today. Took more turns than I thought it would but it's evened up.

Measuring from the ground to the lip of the wheel well, my passenger side was just about 1" lower than the driver's side (33" vs. 34"), and you could see the difference looking at the truck from the front. It took about 5 full turns of the passenger side adjustment bolt to even it up. Checked the bumpstops and all's well, still have at least an inch of space. I'm going to get my alignment checked to be sure it's ok since my Toyo's are only about 2 months old.

Hats off to Bobby B. for his instructions, which made a job I was nervous about seem very easy. 5 trucks and a heartfelt thanks to him, and a big DOH! for me...my uneven front end had bothered me for a couple of years now but I never realized it could be adjusted. :rolleyes:

#424584 - 09/03/06 03:02 PM Re: How much is too much?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp]

Glad all's well that ends well.

Terratup, this may sound overly simple, but are you checking your measurements on level ground? That could make a difference.

When you crank the torsion bars, the differences in the gap at the bumpstop vs. any differences in height are not equal, meaning that if you gain a 1/4 inch in ride height, you don't decrease the gap at the bumpstop by that amount.

Perhaps the best way if heard the relationship explained was on this site -- and I wish I remembered who it was to give them credit -- but visualize one of those gardening/branch trimming tools that have 3-foot handles but the pivot point of the tool is down next to the blades, which are only like an inch or two long. With the handles all of the way open, like when you're cutting a branch, the gap at the ends of the handles is several feet apart while the blades are an inch apart. If you close the handles half way, you've moved them like a foot while the distance between the blades also decreased but in a much much smaller proportion than the other side. It's kind of like that when you crank the torsion bars, when you crank them up, the gap at the bumpstop decreases in tiny increments. Ultimately, though, you are lifting the truck at the expense of down travel and too little clearance can cause problems.

So long story short, by evening out your measurement, the gap at your bumpstop might not diminish all that much or, if you're measuring using the eyeball method, it might not appear substantially different.

Hope the long post made some sense, my brain's a little fried at work right now.

Whomever posted that earlier analogy from the way back, thanks again.

#424585 - 10/03/06 11:21 AM Re: How much is too much?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My driveway might be a bit uneven, so I'll re-measure on a surface I know is flat. If it's still lower on the P-side, I'll be really confused. Am I wrong (or dense) to think that if the distance between the bumpstops is even on both sides that the distance to the wheel wells should be even too. To put the shearer/branch cutter analogy to work again, let's say you have two separate shearers with handles opened all the way (with the open handles facing each other, blades facing away). The distance between the blades at the tips should be the same, right? Then, if you close the handles, let's say 3 inches, and re-measure at the tips again, the distance between the tips should be the same too, correct?
Let me know if I'm being an idiot to think this.

#424586 - 10/03/06 11:33 AM Re: How much is too much?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:

Perhaps the best way if heard the relationship explained was on this site -- and I wish I remembered who it was to give them credit
It was TJ, on the first page of this thread.

#424587 - 10/03/06 11:17 PM Re: How much is too much?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by B.:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby B.:

Perhaps the best way if heard the relationship explained was on this site -- and I wish I remembered who it was to give them credit
It was TJ, on the first page of this thread.
Yes, the resident suspension genious. [Finger] laugh

#424588 - 11/03/06 08:09 PM Re: How much is too much?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doh!!! Retarded, party of one. [Too much XOC]

Hey, I did say my brain was fried...

Though, in my own defense [LOL] , I was remembering that explanation from a long time ago, so thanks again TJ. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal