2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424659 - 26/08/05 08:19 PM Who's shackles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had my 04 XE 4x4 since May. I want to do a PML but want to now which shackles are best. AC has the nice square tube cross piece, SLR has a flat stock cross piece, and the Calmini doesn't show a cross piece at all, which is best? And then how long to go? I think the 1.5" lift will do fine for quite a while. I don't plan on putting a 3" lift for quite a while with warranty issues and the fact that I own a 73 Bronco with a 3.5" long travel suspension (not currently up - damn I gotta finsh those brakes) Thanks!

Rob

Hey guys in AZ - East valley I could use a hand when I go to do the T-bar crank!

#424660 - 26/08/05 09:24 PM Re: Who's shackles?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've had the SLR and now the Calmini shackles. I didn't have any trouble with either one, but it does seem that the Calminis work better without the cross piece, as the shackles are more flexible without it and so don't twist the spring pack as hard when flexing. I also have the SLR 3 pack AAL's and the combination gives me about 3.5 inches of rear lift and that's with a 175+ lb bumper on the back, tools, and stuff! Expect about 2 inches just from the Calmini shackles, me thinks. I don't think the SLR shackles lift as much; not sure about AC.

FWIW!

#424661 - 27/08/05 12:13 PM Re: Who's shackles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey ChuckH, what UCA's are you running? Thats what I have- Well right now I have the Calmini shackle PML but I've got SLR 3 pack sitting in my garage waiting on UCA's. Since there is that little bit more rear lift with SLR 3 pack and Calmini 1.5 shackles, do you have to go with SLR's UCA's because of the extra travel? The thing is, I may be able to get a good deal on some used Calmini UCA's and T-bars that would save me several hundred $'s.

Sorry Sinagua, did'nt mean to hi-jack the thread. Most people have the Calmini shackles. They give you about 1.5" of lift. I got mine from xterraparts.com

#424662 - 27/08/05 04:51 PM Re: Who's shackles?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
If your eventuial 3" lift will be an AAL/Shackle combo...get a shackle 3" longer than stock, so it gives 1.5" of rear lift....as the AAL will give the other 1.5" to make 3"...

And -

The front crank can only safely do 1.25" - 1.5" of front lift...and the 1.5" rear lift would match well.

As to brand...I don't think there's a wrong answer.

You could get revolver shackles from AC instead of the std design, and get more rear wheel travel than the std. shackle...but they're more $...but also keepable when you do anyother lift later.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#424663 - 27/08/05 05:51 PM Re: Who's shackles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the answers! Looks as if it is a level playing field on shackles. If I go with a shackle 3" longer than stock then I am setting it up in case I want to do the UCAs later and I acheive the 1.5" lift I want now.

Rob

#424664 - 28/08/05 08:08 PM Re: Who's shackles?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Probably be better to use the shorter shackles from SLR with the 3 pack AAL's unless you want the higher ass end. I did the Calmini's because of the extra weight I carry all the time and so my ass end doesn't sag when loaded up with offroad gear or when towing. I also prefer the more nose down profile in general, plus I got a good deal on the shackles from another club member.

I have the Calmini UCA's and have them up as high as I can get away with and still get a decent ride and alignment. Probably about 3.25" of lift. Puts me a little out of spec but oh well.

One thing to keep in mind is that all trucks, spring packs, AAL's, and so on seem to be a little different and not everyone is getting the same amount of lift from the same products, so you may end up with extra parts trying to get the right look and performance. The good news is it's usually not hard to find a buyer for the stuff you want to get rid of!

#424665 - 29/08/05 01:30 PM Re: Who's shackles?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The AC 3pack netted me over 4 inches out back by itself.. no shackle.. I am using the 2 upper leafs, and it was 3.5" last year, down to about 2.5" now.. still factory shackles.. be careful using the ac 3pack and any shackle, you may be driving with your brites on all the time laugh

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal