2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424947 - 11/04/06 11:55 AM HELP - Shocks and Springs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help - (new member alert) 2001 4x4 SE
I took my car to the shop and they recommended that I get new shocks/springs for front and rear. I don't know much about trucks, although I love mine very much. I do a good amount of motorcycle racing throughout the east coast and I use my truck to carry my bike. (NY -> Poconos) and NY -> New Hampshire) here's a pic of the product I use.
http://www.mototote.com/default.aspx?ProductID=44
Bike = 385lbs and Tote = 75lbs. Still under the recommended 500 limit. Everything on my truck is still stock, can anyone tell me what I should get? I do feel the truck's suspension is different from when I first had it. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Donny

#424948 - 11/04/06 12:22 PM Re: HELP - Shocks and Springs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to get this straight -- they reccomended new shocks and springs because of the weight of the bike, or for another reason?

New and better shocks such as those made by Rancho or Bilstein will aid your ride and handling (on and off road) tremendously regardless of carrying your bike or not. The stock ones just don't really hold up all that well.

If the load capacity is what you're after, instead of changing out your springs you may want to add a Firestone air bag system. I've helped put two of these on friend's trucks (one who carrys his dirt bike on his 4runner, the other a cab-over camper shell) and they work great. Not that hard to put on and a breeze to adjust.

You don't mention if you're going off roading or want a lift. In that case, the air bags won't help because they link the axle to the frame and will limit travel.

Hope this helps somewhat. Welcome to the board.

#424949 - 11/04/06 02:18 PM Re: HELP - Shocks and Springs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bobby B.
Thanks for reply - actually I took the car to the Nissan dealership (bad idea) for the 65K check up. During the day, they called me and said that I needed to replace my Shocks/Springs - I declined to get it through them. I didn't tell them anything about my motorcycle situation.

Few months back at a motorcycle event. Another racer with an '04 Xterra, saw my setup and recommended that I get stiffer leafsprings to lessen the abuse on the rear suspension. I never gave it much thought until I got the news from the dealer.

I don't do any off roading (I wish I did, I live in NY) Other than driving around the neighborhood, I basically use my truck for motorcycle racing and snowboarding and that's it. If figured if I was in the market for suspension, then I would get something other than stock products.

Also when I transport my bike, I usually fill the back cargo section with tons of crap, like Tools, extra set of rims, camping gear and etc. I just want my truck to last.

I hope I didn't confuse you. I appreciate your help.

#424950 - 11/04/06 05:58 PM Re: HELP - Shocks and Springs
Anonymous
Unregistered

get a set of bilsteins. They will help on the rear. If you add leaf springs to the back, it might look like your rear is lifted and your front is not. The bilsteins are strong enough I think to handle the extra load.

my 2 cents..

I have the bilsteins myself.

#424951 - 11/04/06 08:14 PM Re: HELP - Shocks and Springs
Anonymous
Unregistered

To add, if you're looking to increase ride comfort and longevity, I'd go with 10% stiffer than OEM valved shocks all around, Bilstein being my choice there. You can get them from Spencer Low Racing [Wave]

#424952 - 12/04/06 07:30 AM Re: HELP - Shocks and Springs
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The stealership is recommending new shocks and springs front and rear?

OK, the front uses torsion bars, which are adjustable, and typically do not have to be replaced most of the time, merely re-clocked.

The rear leaf packs can sag under load...but can be re-arched, or augmented with AAL's, etc.

The stock shocks are probably shot...I also recommend the Bils...But I'd go 20% stiffer than stock to help control the load.

In NY, there are tons of people who offroad...so you are not alone.

laugh

Check out www.njax.net for example.

Consider cranking the t-bars and a set of AAL, and the 20 stiffer Bilsteins. You CAN fit the extended length ones with a stock height rig...so if you ever DO go off road, you will have the extra articulation with no downside.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#424953 - 12/04/06 07:31 AM Re: HELP - Shocks and Springs
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
It's not that expensive to get custom leaf springs made...

edstorm: With a custom pack, you can make them stiffer with a nice progression that will withstand the extra weight without having them lift the truck any.

I know a few folks have had custom packs made... where did you get them done, how do you specify what you want, and how much did it cost?

ETA: This is all about the REAR leaf springs. Your front springs aren't 'springs' at all (at least not like what you're probably picturing). They are torsion bars (a metal rod that gives a springing-action when it is twisted). You don't need to upgrade or modify them unless they're broken. They can be easily adjusted if you need more or less tension on them.

Shocks are a VERY easy install-it-yourself item BTW.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal