2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424994 - 17/06/08 04:36 PM torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok so. I am under the impression you DO NOT need your torsion bar, and with it off it gives you more travel. So. if you dont need it,.....what's it do?

#424995 - 17/06/08 04:40 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

T Bars put downward pressure on your lca's thus keeping your front end up. You CAN NOT drive without you're t bars.

Where are you getting the idea you don't need them???

[Freak]

#424996 - 17/06/08 04:52 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you probably mean sway bar aka anti-sway bar aka stabilizer bar.

#424997 - 17/06/08 05:58 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeboy:
ok so. I am under the impression you DO NOT need your torsion bar, and with it off it gives you more travel. So. if you dont need it,.....what's it do?
You my friend, need to get much smarter friends,

#424998 - 18/06/08 10:14 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

woah, yeah, sorry i'm an idiot. i wasnt thinking when i wrote that. and i wanted to say sway bar.

#424999 - 18/06/08 12:30 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Freak] WOW!

#425000 - 19/06/08 07:57 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

well memeresto? could ya explain? im 19, havent done a lot with this newer vehicle. the only mechanic experience i have is my 86' k-10. and thats a lot different than my X

#425001 - 19/06/08 10:47 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Here's my best explanation:

Picture yourself in a sports car going around a tight corner really fast. You can feel the centrifugal force pushing you sideways, but the car remains nice and stable - hugging the road all the way through the corner.

Now picture going around that same corner - but this time your seat is attached to to the top of a 5' long spring like those little horses in the playground. The car will still go around the corner just fine - but you're going to be leaning waaay out as the spring bends.

A sway bar (or to be more accurate, anti-sway bar) goes from a point near one wheel, up to the body, across to another point on the body on the other side, and then down to a point near the wheel on the other side. You have one in the front and one in the rear.

This creates a firm but flexible connection between the wheels and the body and it also creates a connection between the two wheels.
They allow the body to 'roll' a little bit in the corners - but not too much.

You can take 'em off for a bit more articulation offroad - but then your truck will lean a lot more in the corners. It also (and much more importantly) makes the vehicle much more unstable and hard to handle in an emergency situation. If you suddenly jerk the wheel to the side on the freeway (say, someone cuts you off at high speed) you'll have a harder time regaining control of the vehicle.

You won't notice much onroad difference if you remove the rear sway bar. You'll notice a big difference if you remove the front.

Back before my solid axle swap I permanently removed the rear - but I kept the front one on except for a couple occasions where I was on week-long offroad trips.

#425002 - 20/06/08 06:35 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
well memeresto? could ya explain? im 19, havent done a lot with this newer vehicle. the only mechanic experience i have is my 86' k-10. and thats a lot different than my X
Kaiser summed it up pretty well, But I will teach you how to spell CLARIFICATION.

#425003 - 20/06/08 08:16 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent explanation, Kaiser. That actually made me laugh.

But one really important thing to remember (I wish I had a nickel for every time I have said this):

Aside from it being dangerous to drive (on paved roads at least) with the front anti-sway bar disconnected, it is also illegal! If you are in an accident, god forbid, and you have that bar diconnected you'll be buggered with a 10' pole.

No one cares about the rear one, apparently. So go ahead and pull that one off, but don't toss it, in case you ever decide to sell the truck - the new owner might want it for the safety.

Scott

#425004 - 20/06/08 10:15 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
But I will teach you how to spell Clarification.[/QB]
However, it does not need capitalized in this particular example. [Finger]

#425005 - 20/06/08 11:27 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now they're all CAPITALIZED .....
What are you looking at this for anyway... you don't even have T-bars [Finger]

#425006 - 20/06/08 11:59 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Now they're all CAPITALIZED .....
Uh, neither do you anymore.

#425007 - 21/06/08 04:37 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey thanks kaiser. that was a good explanation. so if i take off the rear, i wont notice too much ON road. But will it make much of a difference OFF road?

memeresto would you mind checking my spelling on this paragraph? thanks pal.

#425008 - 23/06/08 05:19 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ShodanX:
Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
[b]Now they're all CAPITALIZED .....
Uh, neither do you anymore.[/b]
You got me there..... [Too much XOC]

Leeboy, you won't notice on road unless you're trying to do corners at high speeds. And yes, it will give you more articulation. Sometimes the sway bar actually does damage to shocks when left on offroading.

#425009 - 23/06/08 10:32 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok. well im pretty damn sure im not going to be taking any corners at high speeds, with, or without, the sway bar,..so. it wont hurt to just take it off>?

#425010 - 23/06/08 10:44 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
ok. well im pretty damn sure im not going to be taking any corners at high speeds, with, or without, the sway bar,..so. it wont hurt to just take it off>?
Nope.

#425011 - 23/06/08 12:01 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotto:

Aside from it being dangerous to drive (on paved roads at least) with the front anti-sway bar disconnected, it is also illegal! If you are in an accident, god forbid, and you have that bar diconnected you'll be buggered with a 10' pole.

Source for it being illegal? That would also vary from state to state.

#425012 - 23/06/08 12:10 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]

Source for it being illegal? That would also vary from state to state.[/b]
I was wondering the same thing... of course he's from Canada eh..

#425013 - 23/06/08 01:27 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah - it might be a Canadian thing... But since we just sort of adopt alot of our laws from you guys (why bother do all that work?), I wouldn't be surprised if a front sway bar was mandatory south of the border.

Scott

#425014 - 24/06/08 05:28 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah - it might be a Canadian thing... But since we just sort of adopt alot of our laws from you guys (why bother do all that work?), I wouldn't be surprised if a front sway bar was mandatory south of the border.

Scott
LOL...I can guarantee you that it's not mandatory in several states, if not most of them. In fact, since a sway bar is part of your suspension, it's modification is, for lack of a better term, protected in Colorado at least. Back in the day, Colorado passed a law that made it illegal to modify a vehicles suspension...the law was repealed not long after as unconstitutional.

Seriously, though, I'd like to see a link for the law in Ontario that states you must have a front sway bar as I don't recall that being the case when I was living there.

#425015 - 24/06/08 07:33 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, im not worried about if it is, or isn't legal. i just want to get it strait. the rear one, lose it. and the front is the one you need?

#425016 - 24/06/08 07:39 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
well, im not worried about if it is, or isn't legal. i just want to get it strait. the rear one, lose it. and the front is the one you need?
Yes, sort of. You don't need either of them, in actuality. I (and several other people I know and wheel with) have run without them for years, just fine, you just have to drive like it's a truck, not a sports car.

#425017 - 24/06/08 08:16 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]well, im not worried about if it is, or isn't legal. i just want to get it strait. the rear one, lose it. and the front is the one you need?
Yes, sort of. You don't need either of them, in actuality. I (and several other people I know and wheel with) have run without them for years, just fine, you just have to drive like it's a truck, not a sports car.[/b]
Fine if it's not a daily driver.... last thing we need is 2x a year wheelers yanking their front swaybars since someone on XOC said they weren't needed.

I had to dodge an Audi the other day and without having the rear bar it was a bit hair raising.

Just sayin.. .. ..

#425018 - 25/06/08 05:56 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here you go, ChefTyler:

It's checked for on any safety certificate, and his hidden here, in Section VI of the HTA.

It's hidden, in that an inspection of the vehicle will show that there is a piece missing, and is therefore a defect:

(12) Where any vehicle examined or tested under subsection (2), (3) or (4), or any of its equipment, is found to have a prescribed defect or to be in a dangerous or unsafe condition, with or without a prescribed defect, the police officer or officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act making the examinations or tests may,

(a) require the driver, owner or operator of the vehicle to have the prescribed defect repaired and the vehicle and its equipment placed in a safe condition;

(b) order the vehicle to be removed from the highway; and

(c) prohibit the operation of the vehicle on the highway until the prescribed defect has been repaired and the vehicle and its equipment are in a safe condition.

Anyway, I'm with bpc on this one - if the truck is a DD, leave the sway bar alone.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal