2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425019 - 25/06/08 06:24 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotto:
Here you go, ChefTyler:

It's checked for on any safety certificate, and his hidden here, in Section VI of the HTA.

It's hidden, in that an inspection of the vehicle will show that there is a piece missing, and is therefore a defect:

(12) Where any vehicle examined or tested under subsection (2), (3) or (4), or any of its equipment, is found to have a prescribed defect or to be in a dangerous or unsafe condition, with or without a prescribed defect, the police officer or officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act making the examinations or tests may,

(a) require the driver, owner or operator of the vehicle to have the prescribed defect repaired and the vehicle and its equipment placed in a safe condition;

(b) order the vehicle to be removed from the highway; and

(c) prohibit the operation of the vehicle on the highway until the prescribed defect has been repaired and the vehicle and its equipment are in a safe condition.

Anyway, I'm with bpc on this one - if the truck is a DD, leave the sway bar alone.

Scott
Thanks, Scott, exactly what I was looking for [Wave]

As for Leeboy...go ahead and yank the rear one, drive it for a week (carefully), then disconnect the front one and drive it (more carefully) for a few days, or around a parking lot, to get a feel for it. Then go ahead and make your decision about the front. Having said that, what bpc and Scotto said makes perfect sense... Part of my advice also comes with driving an SAS'd Xterra with really soft springs up front and no sway bar, so take that for what it's worth.

#425020 - 25/06/08 06:42 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm gonna disagree with Chef on this one.. Take the rear off for sure... no biggie.. but i'd leave the front on. Even off road you aren't going to achieve what it's worth in travel to disco the front. That and you put the CV's at a greater angle, putting you more at risk at snapping one.

#425021 - 25/06/08 01:13 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
RangerX Offline

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Not to make this any more complicated, but I also run without front or rear sway bars. I do, however, have the stiffer bars that were part of the Calmini kit. With stock bars, I would recommend keeping them on as long as your X is on the pavement.

#425022 - 26/06/08 05:20 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Despite the title this thread is about sway bars laugh

So your T-bars help cornering?

#425023 - 26/06/08 10:07 AM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

I forget who it was that did the test. But they went on an RTI ramp with both sway bars, then the rear one removed, then the front and rear removed. There was a big increase in articulation with the rear one removed. With the front removed as well, there was just a slight increased over just the rear removed.

I'd be willing to bet that for most wheelers (including myself), the extra gain obtained by removing the front one is hardly worth the effort.

If only I could find that thread. Had pictures and RTI figures.

#425024 - 26/06/08 07:12 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

its funny, i totally mis labeled this topic and its become a good lil discussion. thanks everyone for the input. I will probably take the rear sway bar off and leave the front. it is a DD so ill be safe. I heard something about "quick disconnects" so i could just easily take them off when going off road. do these parts exist?

#425025 - 26/06/08 08:22 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeboy:
I heard something about "quick disconnects" so i could just easily take them off when going off road. do these parts exist?
Calmini sells the rear (rattles like a mofo from what I've heard), fab it yourself for the front. There's a thread here or on NOR about the front disco's.

#425026 - 27/06/08 05:52 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

NOR?

#425027 - 27/06/08 06:28 PM Re: torsion bar clearification
Anonymous
Unregistered

#679071 - 17/08/12 06:01 AM Re: torsion bar clearification [Re: Kaiser]
Mario Clemente Offline

Years later and many miles away , your explanation help me too , thanks from Brazil

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal