2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425769 - 21/04/06 07:21 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got 'er DONE!
Pics coming soon.

#425770 - 21/04/06 07:28 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Bastard!! Can't wait to see....it may change my plans...

#425771 - 21/04/06 07:38 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
Bastard!! Can't wait to see....it may change my plans...
It just might. I shot some pics w/o the shocks so you can see everything we did. There's a lot of room under there there now. laugh

#425772 - 22/04/06 05:03 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Editor X:
Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
[b]Bastard!! Can't wait to see....it may change my plans...
It just might. I shot some pics w/o the shocks so you can see everything we did. There's a lot of room under there there now. laugh [/b]
And????? Jeez...woke up this AM and first thing I did was come here to see if there were any pics...how dissapointing.... wink

#425773 - 22/04/06 11:56 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

First set of pics.

Lower mount driver side.

Lower passenger side.

Upper mount on DOM crossmember.

The ends of the ubolts still need to be cutoff shorter to be a little less than flush with the bottom of the ubolt plate. The upper mount is 1/4 wall DOM tubing (think shrock sliders) and mounted on 1/4 plate brackets that are then welded to the frame. The whole crossmember takes the place of the one that held the spare tire and it much stronger.

The box also was relocated to the new crossmember and a new piece of exhaust pipe was needed to clear the area for the shock. We cleaned up the underside by removing all the brackets for the sway bar (like I was ever going to use those again) and the old upper shock mounts that were on the frame. I'll have final measurememts later today after I articulate the rear, but from what I can tell the 12 inch shocks I had would have fit very nicely. I might be able to get a 14 inch shock in there, but I'm waiting to see first. I can see there is a lot more space to fill over stock even without measuring though.

#425774 - 22/04/06 04:34 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Ed, is that the TC lower relocation bracket?
Paint - Rattle can/Powder coated?

Who is doing the work/welding?

Did you do any frame strengthening/gusseting where the upper cross member is hung since there will be the added stress there?

Were you or whoever is coming up with your measurements able to seperate the leaf pack down to just one leaf and cycle it to get shock length measurements?

What are you looking at for compressed/extended lenghts?

Are you going to be running the SAWs on the rear as well? Bypass or smoothy w/resi?

Are you going with the Baja bushings as well?

#425775 - 24/04/06 10:35 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
socalpunx Offline

No on the Baja Bushings.

Jeff at Deaver strongly discourages their use on street driven vehicles due to wear issues. Ed, I know you've spoken to someone that has run them over time on the street but Jeff also said he's had guys that ahve had them wear after as little as one race.

I'm going to wait until I see how long they actually last in daily street/dirt use and what the indications and results are.

#425776 - 24/04/06 11:16 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
No on the Baja Bushings.

Jeff at Deaver strongly discourages their use on street driven vehicles due to wear issues. Ed, I know you've spoken to someone that has run them over time on the street but Jeff also said he's had guys that ahve had them wear after as little as one race.

I'm going to wait until I see how long they actually last in daily street/dirt use and what the indications and results are.
Nice...will cross that off the list of considerations....think there is the same issues with the orbit-eyes?

#425777 - 24/04/06 12:24 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
That's why I like the Revolvers...like stock until you need them...and they twist as needed to take the stress off the leafs in torsion.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#425778 - 24/04/06 06:44 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Ed, is that the TC lower relocation bracket?

Did you do any frame strengthening/gusseting where the upper cross member is hung since there will be the added stress there?

Were you or whoever is coming up with your measurements able to seperate the leaf pack down to just one leaf and cycle it to get shock length measurements?

Are you going to be running the SAWs on the rear as well? Bypass or smoothy w/resi?

Here are some short answers for you.
1. A local offroad shop. TC has Dan's race rig in now and can't fit me in the schedule.

2. Gussets are there.

3. No on the leaf packs. 2 fork lifts at Home Depot got the job done.

4. Shock length is 16.5 and 26.5. Running the SAW piggy backs in 2.5 dia. body. See other post for reasons.

5. No on the bushings.

#425779 - 25/04/06 08:02 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Ed, is that the TC lower relocation bracket?

Here are some short answers for you.
1. A local offroad shop. TC has Dan's race rig in now and can't fit me in the schedule.

2. Gussets are there.

3. No on the leaf packs. 2 fork lifts at Home Depot got the job done.

4. Shock length is 16.5 and 26.5. Running the SAW piggy backs in 2.5 dia. body. See other post for reasons.

5. No on the bushings.[/b]
How'd you get the forklifts at HD to do that for ya?? couple buddies who work there??

And I'm not needing super beefy shocks like you is the reason the Bilsteins were fine by me...You do alot more highspeed prerunning/desert style driving than I do....no wide open spaces around here to go running on so the 2.0 Bil's with remote reservoirs should be fine for me...My shocks should be in this week so I probly have like another week and 1/2 to go before I get any welding done...

#425780 - 26/04/06 06:06 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scratch the 10 inch shock. Going with the 12's. They will fit just fine. 19.5 collapsed and 31.5 extended. Usind the SAW Racerunner 2.5 dia. Piggybacks.

#425781 - 02/05/06 05:38 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

shocks are in...now just have to get the new rear leafs and then the welding can begin.....

#425782 - 02/05/06 09:17 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very shiney. I'll have to shoot a picture of mine so you can see them.

#425783 - 03/05/06 05:42 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Quote:
Very shiney. I'll have to shoot a picture of mine so you can see them.
Yes....yes you will.... laugh

#425784 - 08/05/06 11:39 AM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

OK...ordered my rear leaf pack from Calmini....for $299 you can't beat an entire replacement for the rear leafs...plus I don't do nearly the highspeed running that you west coast guys you, so if they are bit more suited for slow speed crawling thats fine by me...They had them in stock and should be here in about 10 days..... Calmini SAS rear leafs..

#425785 - 17/05/06 05:07 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Leaf springs are in!! Very fast shipping, good customer service from Calmini....Very happy...now for the welding and such...

#425786 - 17/05/06 05:15 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice! Dan, let me know how they work out. I've been looking at these. The price is right. laugh

#425787 - 17/05/06 05:45 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had the SAS leafpacks on for a coupla' few months now and have used them mainly offroad. They are firm but not stiff, and you'll still get the droop too. They are a vast improvement over any other rear susp mods I'd tried previously also. There's the slightest bit of rake as well, which can only be righted using a SAS...But I think it looks great and handles perfect offroad too [ThumbsUp]
Edit to add- Signed, Dan

#425788 - 17/05/06 05:51 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
There's the slightest bit of rake as well, which can only be righted using a SAS...
They can also be dearched.

#425789 - 29/07/06 12:23 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

OK...my relocation is coming along...have the basic welding done and the new leafs (Calmini SAS spring pack) in place...just waiting on the new SS extended rear brake line to come in on Monday and then just the touch up welding and POR-15 paint job...Much cleaner looking underneath and the lower shock mounts are now moved UP and protected both behind the axle and within the new shock mounts...Very happy with the way this has ended up...just will need to test it out on and off road....

#425790 - 29/07/06 12:49 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
[ThumbsUp] Looking good Dan.. [ThumbsUp]

#425791 - 29/07/06 02:47 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

x2 [ThumbsUp]

#425792 - 29/07/06 04:57 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
spalind Offline

Those damn 33"'s in the back are looking awfully small now!! laugh

#425793 - 02/08/06 09:19 PM Re: Relocating bottom rear shock mounts to axle...
Anonymous
Unregistered

What lift are you running up front?

When I looked at DBAX' pics it didn't look like he had nearly the rake that you do. Your X seems way high in the back compared to his even though you're both running the same rear springs.

Did the Calmini SAS springs change in some way?

Edit to add that it's good to see your project working out for 'ya.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal