2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#426196 - 02/11/04 12:54 PM Wider T-bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've searched, but want current info, no old info. So....
It looks like some T-bars sold are a little longer and claim to help keep the upper ball joints in the correct position. Is this true? I was wanting to lift my X just a little, but don't want to have steering parts failing in the future due to the lift. I have read conflicting info on doing the shackle/T-bar lift. So, what is the latest on this? How many people have replaced their T-bars with the longer parts? What are the negatives of using the shackles to lift the rear?
Thanks for any feedback.

#426197 - 02/11/04 01:18 PM Re: Wider T-bars?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
There is no such thing as a longer torsion bar, they go from the front anchor to the rear anchor, and that distance can't be changed.

No matter how you lift the front suspension of the Xterra the steering components will wear out prematurely since they are not designed to work at extreme angles.

#426198 - 02/11/04 01:52 PM Re: Wider T-bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, thanks. I was thinking about the upper control arms being longer, and then saying the torsion bars. Got mixed up. I see that there are heavy duty torsion bars and lift kits with longer upper control arms. So, lifting using the longer upper control arms still doesn't help prevent premature wear?

#426199 - 02/11/04 04:56 PM Re: Wider T-bars?
Anonymous
Unregistered

a-arms position the top of the spindle (the wheel is attached to the spindle, it is the big metal thing behind the brakes), the t-bars apply force to keep the lower control arms at an angle, whick keeps you off your bumpstops. The parts that wear are steering.. end links, adjusters and the like.. when you fry it, you get one of these or similar..

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal