2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#426471 - 14/01/06 05:09 PM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Yes, the stablilizer. Is it correct that Bilstein and Calmini each make the steering stab system, and that the IA brace is an option for both?

#426472 - 14/01/06 05:38 PM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, the steering stabilizer makes a difference in smoothing out the steering. Less wobble when hitting objects or wind gusts.

As far as the IA brace, there is no difference in feel, but security about IA failure.

Rob

#426473 - 15/01/06 04:07 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
Yes, the stablilizer. Is it correct that Bilstein and Calmini each make the steering stab system, and that the IA brace is an option for both?
It is actualy produced by AC and SLR , AC has the option of Bilstein or a Rancho shock, SLR uses a Doetsch Tech shock. I like the setup of the AC better than SLR for the reason that it is easier (from what I could see in pics) to clear the oil filter and you dont have to mess with an A/C line. As far as what shock to pick, personal preference would come into play(rancho is cheaper). You dont have to install an IA brace if you dont want to they are pretty unrelated, though I think everyone would reccomend getting it at some point.

#426474 - 15/01/06 06:34 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Did the Bilstein stabilizer / Calmini idler arm brace mods a while back. Both are worthwhile IMO. If you take a close look at the IA and realize how much force can be applied to that one pivot bolt, The idler arm brace mod is a no brainer. It's something that Nissan should have considered in the original design. Cheap insurance considering where you will probably be stuck if you are wheeling on terrain that can apply enough force to snap the bolt.

#426475 - 15/01/06 07:14 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the Rancho unit from A/C and can't wait to get it on. (weather delays) In the mean time I've taken off the skid plate and am hitting the bolts w/ PB Blaster. I'll also be writing a "How to" article w/ pics for the NEXterra boards. A test run on the bolts told me they are really on there. I borrowed a BIG breaker bar (19mm socket) from a friend so I can get some torque on it when I do the install. I'll post when it's done. wink

Barry

#426476 - 15/01/06 08:14 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

IMPACT! I live in AZ and bolts don't tend to get as stuck here, especially on a newer truck, but I did hit the bolts with an impact wrench.

This mod is simple to do and you'll definitely enjoy the results. It will only take about 20 minutes to get it all done.

Rob

#426477 - 17/01/06 06:41 PM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Sounds like a pretty good mod. Anyone done this with the Calmini Steering System? Or would it be a little overkill? I'm planning on getting the Calmini steering system before Moab and would like to do it all at once if I get the stabilizer.

#426478 - 18/01/06 02:52 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as I know AC is the only one that makes one that will fit calmini centerlinks, we have a member running it on his fronty with no problems. SLR does not offer that option. Just specify and they give you a different bracket.

#426479 - 18/01/06 07:16 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Shmittey:
I am pretty happy with it, tell you the truth I don't remember what it was like before I put it on. Highway driving is much better, less squirly with winds, potholes and big rigs. I am not fighting to keep it in the lane anymore.

Edit: I assume you are talking about the steering stablizer and not the IA brace, right?
OK, last night I was driving in heavy rain and hit a huge puddle. Sounds like this thing would dampen that "yank the wheel out of your hands" effect. Has anybody with the steering stab system had that experience?

Also, what is the effect on normal steering (corners, lane change, etc.)?

#426480 - 21/01/06 09:59 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
OK, last night I was driving in heavy rain and hit a huge puddle. Sounds like this thing would dampen that "yank the wheel out of your hands" effect. Has anybody with the steering stab system had that experience?

Have not hit any high speed puddles with it on, but I would assume that you would still feel that to some point as you are actualy hydroplaning.

Normal steering is still normal, though it tightens it up a bit. No difference in cornering etc. Just helps with the sudden "oh shit" kind of things.

#426481 - 21/01/06 02:50 PM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorBoy:
Sounds like a pretty good mod. Anyone done this with the Calmini Steering System? Or would it be a little overkill? I'm planning on getting the Calmini steering system before Moab and would like to do it all at once if I get the stabilizer.
good luck trying to get calmini's system, they've been on backorder and still are. my steering is gone so i was in dying need to fix my x. called slr on tuesday and got there system. ups says it should be here monday.

#426482 - 22/01/06 11:06 AM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Reference my previous post on this topic. I finished the install on the Rancho unit from A/C last night. So far, I'm very pleased with the results. I was test driving it in high winds on a winding road and it did make a difference as far as the "mushy" feel. laugh I took several pics and will be finishing up a "how to" shortly to be posted on the NEXterra board. wink Let me know if there is an interest on this board as well.

Barry [Wave]

#426483 - 26/01/06 09:41 PM Re: Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Shmittey:
Quote:
[b]OK, last night I was driving in heavy rain and hit a huge puddle. Sounds like this thing would dampen that "yank the wheel out of your hands" effect. Has anybody with the steering stab system had that experience?

Have not hit any high speed puddles with it on, but I would assume that you would still feel that to some point as you are actualy hydroplaning.

Normal steering is still normal, though it tightens it up a bit. No difference in cornering etc. Just helps with the sudden "oh shit" kind of things.[/b]
Yes, exactly. It definitely firms up the steering. I was coming back from a trip recently and noticed a definite improvement when you get a burst of air from those semis on the highway!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal