2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427212 - 11/08/06 11:50 PM 2005+ suspension options
Anonymous
Unregistered

To make a long story short, I drove all the competition, and believe I will end up with a new 2006 or 2007 Xterra very soon. This will also be my first Nissan purchase; I’ve been a Toyota guy for some time. Therefore, I don’t know that much about the Nissans. With that out of the way, I need to get it up to snuff for some pretty good trail duty. The things that I know I will be getting right away will be Shrock front winch bumper and Warn 8000M, Shrock rear bumper with tire carrier, and Shrock rock rails.

I have been reading and searching all the forums, but most of the information is jumbled and incomplete at best. I was hoping to pool together everyone’s expertise into a nice single thread about suspension options.

Where I need your guy’s help is with the suspension lift choice. To increase the rear axle articulation I’m seriously looking at some Teraflex Revolver shackles. However, who makes the best front and rear lift kits? I’m looking for about a 3” lift to keep things reasonable because it will be a daily driver too. I have never been much of a fan of the spacer lift kits. They always looked more like a band-aid than a true suspension system to me. The one thing that has surprised me is it appears no one is making adjustable front coil-overs for the IFS. So, who makes the good suspension kits, and what do you think I would need in the front and back? Thanks in advance.

Rgs, JLH

#427213 - 12/08/06 06:37 AM Re: 2005+ suspension options
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
www.prgproducts.com they have adjustable coil overs for the new X. SLR has a 5 inch suspension lift, calmini is taking pre orders for there 5 inch lift. There are also several 2 inch lift kits out there from Calmini, Daystar, and a company called 4x4parts.com With 2 inches of lift you can urn a 285/75/16 tire.

#427214 - 12/08/06 09:03 AM Re: 2005+ suspension options
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I'm running the Revolver Shackles on an '01 X - WOW...what a great mod!

None of the bad things that are attributed to them by people who didn't have experience with them actually happen....they just let the rear tires stay on the ground better.

"Unloading" seems to be the biggest fear people have, that going on a steep down hill, they will suddenly unfold to full extension, sending you heels over head, etc.

It doesn't happen, as the physics don't support it, and real world experience doesn't support it...

...as the terrain is further from the truck, the tires merely stay on the ground...so the revolvers, as they are supporting the weight ofthe truck, unfold and refold, gradually, following the terrain.

If I go down a really steep hill, the kind that typicallay unweights the rear end and transfers most of the weight to the front end anyway...the revolvers do exactly what normal shackles do...support what ever weight is still on the rear end...that's all that happens.

If anything, its more stable than before, as the suspension follows the terrain better.

Besides, its fully extended length is about 9.25" or so, about 3" longer than a Calmini lift shackle, or the equivalent of about another 1.5" of lift...

= less than the same rear extension one might expect of a 4.5" rear lift...what you get if you SAS the front to match, etc.

So a Revolver gives ~ the rear travel of a longer suspension w/o the added center of gravity issues a taller lift would give you.

laugh

That said - We're still waiting to see if the Revolver shackles for the new X's are available yet....the old/new X's rear leaves are almost identical...its the clearance (for ALL brands/types of lift shackles) that is a bit different between the two generations.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#427215 - 12/08/06 11:46 AM Re: 2005+ suspension options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi TJ,

I had found your post on the Revolvers a little while ago. Very nice details and pictures! It really looks like Revolvers do truly end rear coil spring suspension envy, LOL!

I see were you wrote that they add about 0.75 inch of lift over stock. In your option, what is the best way to pick up another 2 inch of lift?

I see you are doubled up on the Add-A-Leaf springs. Unloaded (no gear in back), do the extra AAL make the rear a bit stiff or rough riding?

Do the Darlington UB Skidderz help or hurt you at full droop?

I was considering some Total Chaos UCA, but don’t which shock/coilover to go with. I will be putting on a winch bumper with Warn 8000M with Amsteel Blue rope. (I really don’t want any more weight on the front than what is completely necessary.) What is the best, most well thought out method of lifting the front 3 inches? Thanks for your insight. [Too much XOC]

Rgs, JLH

#427216 - 12/08/06 08:58 PM Re: 2005+ suspension options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I've done some very exhaustive research to see what is out there for the 2005+ Xterra suspension mods. To say the least, I'm pretty damn disappointed. Searched the following manufacturers:

Skyjacker
Pro Comp
Full Traction
Fabtech
RCD
Superlift
Daystar
Trailmaster
Readylift
Rancho
CST
Black Diamond
Revtek
Rough Country
Tuff Country
Downey
Donahoe
Allpro
Old Man Emu
Camburg
Truxxx
Total Chaos

It appears that Total Chaos is the only one doing anything other than a cheap spacer kit. It was nice to see the PRG Products coilovers in conjunction with the Total Chaos UCA.

I don't get it, why is there some much stuff out there for Toyota and the domestic makes and nothing for Nissan? Heck, I saw at least 10 different complete lift kits for the new Toyota FJ Cruiser and its been on the market for less than 6 months! WTF?

I test drove everything and liked the Xterra the best, however, I may not buy one if there is no after market support for it.

The poorly designed rear doors on the FJ Cruiser are a deal breaker for me; too hard to get in and out of. In addition, my kids could not shut them from inside the truck. That leaves me with the Hummer H3, Toyota 4Runner, or the 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LWB.

The H3 is a dead NO! What a P.O.S., this thing could not get out of its own way. Trying to get away with a in-line 5 in a 4700 lb truck, dream on GM.

The 4Runner has a ton of after market parts for it. However, it is a dated design and will get a remake in 2009. I don't want to get stuck driving last generation's design again.

The Heep, uh...I mean Jeep is known well for its reliability problems. However, I have to say when they run there is no place one will not go.

So, what's a guy to do...?

#427217 - 12/08/06 09:45 PM Re: 2005+ suspension options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Historically, the aftermarket (and by that I mean the OFFROAD aftermarket) for Nissans has been almost non-existant...it takes a while for the aftermarket companies to come around to new ideas/designs. Sad fact, I know.
Keep this in mind, though, the X stock is quite capable...several stock 2nd Gen Xs ran most of the trails at GONE this year...just something to remember.

#427218 - 13/08/06 04:56 AM Re: 2005+ suspension options
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLH:
Well, I've done some very exhaustive research to see what is out there for the 2005+ Xterra suspension mods. To say the least, I'm pretty damn disappointed. Searched the following manufacturers:

Skyjacker
Pro Comp
Full Traction
Fabtech
RCD
Superlift
Daystar
Trailmaster
Readylift
Rancho
CST
Black Diamond
Revtek
Rough Country
Tuff Country
Downey
Donahoe
Allpro
Old Man Emu
Camburg
Truxxx
Total Chaos

It appears that Total Chaos is the only one doing anything other than a cheap spacer kit. It was nice to see the PRG Products coilovers in conjunction with the Total Chaos UCA.

I don't get it, why is there some much stuff out there for Toyota and the domestic makes and nothing for Nissan? Heck, I saw at least 10 different complete lift kits for the new Toyota FJ Cruiser and its been on the market for less than 6 months! WTF?

I test drove everything and liked the Xterra the best, however, I may not buy one if there is no after market support for it.

The poorly designed rear doors on the FJ Cruiser are a deal breaker for me; too hard to get in and out of. In addition, my kids could not shut them from inside the truck. That leaves me with the Hummer H3, Toyota 4Runner, or the 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LWB.

The H3 is a dead NO! What a P.O.S., this thing could not get out of its own way. Trying to get away with a in-line 5 in a 4700 lb truck, dream on GM.

The 4Runner has a ton of after market parts for it. However, it is a dated design and will get a remake in 2009. I don't want to get stuck driving last generation's design again.

The Heep, uh...I mean Jeep is known well for its reliability problems. However, I have to say when they run there is no place one will not go.

So, what's a guy to do...?
Dude i told you calmini and Spencer Low Racing make a 5 inch kit for the X's. And PRG Products has adjustable coilovers with remote resivoirs. Did you not reading anyuthing I posted.

#427219 - 13/08/06 12:39 PM Re: 2005+ suspension options
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Big Daddy Chia,

I did read what you wrote, and owe you a big thanks for pointing out the PRG coilovers. I don’t know if I would have found those on my own. The front end lift was what I was most concerned with. (I really hate spacer kits) I do appreciate you also pointing out the Calmini 5” lift, but that is going to be too much lift for me. I also owe a thanks to the rest of the good folks here on the forum. Without your valuable input, I may have been pushed into looking at a different vehicle.

My plan now is to gather all the important bits of info so I can make all the purchases. I believe PRG needs to know if you are running a winch up front so they can install the correct spring. Need to find out about the Teraflex Revolver shackle availability for the 2nd Gen Xterra, etc…I’ll be making quite a few phone calls to get all the details straight. I think once I get everything figured out, I’ll post all the details with company names, contact numbers, contact names, location address, and prices. Hopefully this will help any FNG’s like myself from getting frustrated about the after market support for the Xterra again. I believe everything that is really needed is available, but just scarce. Thanks again Guys.

Rgs, JLH

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal