2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427409 - 11/04/03 04:20 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I remember reading somewhere (possibly here) that testing shocks by pushing down on a corner of the truck doesn't work. A shock can be dead but may still have enough life to control a push-down-by-hand bounce.

That's what I found before I replaced mine. When I did, the ride was much, much improved. If I were you, I'd get some good shocks ASAP and see if that helps.

#427410 - 02/08/03 11:28 AM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
mtjake Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtjake:
[b]How hard is this to get to and can I do it myself? How?
The steering sector shaft adjusting screw can be reached from the engine bay with a long flat blade screwdriver (2002 and newer us an Allen wrench AFAIK).

You'll need to pop a few of the plastic rivets loose on the inner fender rubber flappy thing to get to the side of the steering box.

Then loosen the locknut on top of the shaft (should be 17mm).

Then look down into the engine bay at the top of the steering box, and you'll see the slot on the shaft.

Try a small amount at first, 1/4 turn or so. Too much and it can make steering difficult.

Tighten the locknut back up when done (22 lb. ft.)[/b]
Finally getting around to this. Quick quesiton, just to be sure I don't screw anything up. Is the circled area on the picture the adjustment screw? It looks like it is an Allen socket, but I have a 2001? Also, is it a clockwise turn to tighten the adjustment screw? Thanks again.

#427411 - 02/08/03 12:10 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
yes, thats the right spot, BUT be carefull
one of our club members had to replace the gear box after the adjustment went wrong

Maybe you should just take it to Nissan , and ask them to adjust it for you

#427412 - 02/08/03 03:12 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
mtjake Offline

What went wrong? Is this adjustment something that is easy to mess up? I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer for something that seems easy to do. What problems should I look out for? Also, clockwise or counter-clockwise to tighten the adjustment? Thanks for all of your inputs.

#427413 - 02/08/03 09:14 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
It is not that hard to adjust, just turn it in a little (as Ian had mentioned), and if it starts to get tight as you adjust it in stop! And back it off...as it should be adjusted to just before it starts to get friction.

BTW my X wanders too...and it has been somewhat abused off-road.

Tightening the screw = clockwise (its standard thread)

#427414 - 03/08/03 02:01 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
something inside of the box just got snaped/sliped did not require any tourk ( so it aint like he put alot of mussels into it )

#427415 - 04/08/03 02:03 AM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Anonymous
Unregistered

FINALLY!! After all is said and done, my biggest complaint lies within this thread...one that I have been UNsuccessfully trying to plea my sanity to both my husband and boyfriend (ya gotta have more than one theory here...that's beside the point).
A thread that screams loud and clear, nearly everything that I have been saying over & over, apparantly falling on deaf ears... until NOW!
Thank you for VALIDATING and putting into words precisely my complaint and looming huge concern.
Most of you state my exact sentiments and ongoing experience. My lack of confidence in the steering (column/accuracy/wear down etc.) issues, as far as being able to pinpoint in descriptive lingo and getting directly to the UNSETTLING possibilities are addressed finally. I am so thankful for being supported, in theory here. This thread managed to get through to my boyfriend tonight, by stating almost verbatem my biggest frustration in knowing what I perceive to be a problem and the complaints I have said over and over in the last month or so are being challenged.
I have checked in religiously on this site, going from alignment, rotating tires, shock issues, to leaf springs and/or lift mods and possible weakening of parts, etc. to finally this. Excuse my jubilation here, it's just extremely hard to get a man to take me serious when he drives my truck and says everything is fine!
After my hooping and hollaring and obviously celebrating in a sense the confindence empowering me by the backup here....I taunted him for a reaction, with a 'bring it on now baby attitude'...only for him to say...Well, if this is the case, and the steering is what is really the culprit and the core of my problems and other ailments stem from this, than that's #%@**%&$ up... and I should just unload it now!
He also added that the steering is one of the 'foundation basics' and are a huge factor in determining the quality of the make of the truck.. and if that's all out of wack and needing replaced etc., then the truck's quality is in serious question, and in the least, speculative of questionable manufacturing with the quality in design and detail of OUR "X" should be of serious concern....
SO...I put this out there for some backup here....I love OUR Xterra! Any idea if the 2003-2004 models are having this obviously widely shared and apparantly widely occurring problem?
Help me out here, is replacing the steering a bigger issue than just the damage we feel financially (if not covered under warranty which sounds like it may be)...but any hint of this being more than what's seems easy enough on the surface to replace? is this an area of greater concern? down the road? in the long run?

#427416 - 04/08/03 02:12 AM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Kim, do you feel like driving up to Aurora any time this week ? I can diagnose the steering problem for you.

#427417 - 04/08/03 11:15 AM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I would agree to have someone who knows steering systems look at it (someone without financial concerns on the repair) to get a good idea of what is actually at fault. The dealer will in most cases try to sell you parts and labor...based on a limited inspection.

Ian might charge you some beer for his time though... (I hear he doesn't drink the cheap stuff though frown )

However, I would tend to disagree with your boyfriend that a worn steering component denotes a poor overall build quality...

#427418 - 04/08/03 09:38 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
mtjake Offline

The steering adjustment screw worked great! Steering feels much tighter. Thanks for the help everyone!

#427419 - 05/08/03 09:09 AM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Aifwikir:
Not sure what you call the parts but the pitman(?) arm on the right side has a wiggle to it. what parts do I need and Where can I get them! HELP!
I know this is a late reply (missed this tidbit first time around) but you can replace the bushings in the idler arm if it has play in it:
H ere they are

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#427420 - 06/08/03 12:47 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Anonymous
Unregistered

XOC-
Are you kidding? Aurora? It's a hop, skip and a jump for me! I couldn't have asked for a better situation here...done deal, as far as someone to take a look at my X and give me the 'peace of mind' I am in search for!
I would be willing to drop everything to accommodate your schedule (and time of conveniences). Just let me know what time/day works for you. Anytime the rest of this week works for me.

P.S. to Pacopico! Hey and thanks for the heads up! What is his 'flavor' of choice? import or domestic?

#427421 - 06/08/03 12:56 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh and XOC, please disregard any posts I made in reference to Neon colored cars in the past... Yellow in particular! I have a NEW FOUND FONDNESS and sudden RESPECT and APPRECIATION for them...suddenly! (Yikes!)

#427422 - 06/08/03 12:59 PM Re: Suspension/Steering question..
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Kim,

Email me at webmaster@xterraownersclub.com and we'll set up a time.

I'll be working on my X this weekend, so that would work well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal