2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427858 - 14/12/02 05:58 AM Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Loc: Canada,QC
I first thought it was my imagination..
But I have come to fully believe that my X is lower than almost ALL other X`s I see out there..dealership lots, on the streets, in paking lots..everywhere!
My SC now has 15" wheels for winter..
I measured side to side the 15" wheel with stock size 17" tire right up against my 17" infact inch wheel while it was still on the truck..and the difference in height was very minimal..

Then once 15" were mounted I parked right next to an SC with the 17" on and the height diff. was quite visible...and substancial
So I said fine..
Its normal now with the 15" on height is indeed lower..
BUT when I measured up against anther X with 15" just yesterday..I mean rear bumper to rear bumper..
Mine was again lower..Like a slouchy ass.
It doesnJust seems the ass is on a lower stance..
So I,m convinced that even with 17" or 15" on..
The truck will always seem lower no mater what..

Dealer said they would do a check when I put the 17" on in the spring and see..because "IT SHOULD NOT BE THAT WAY.." "Its impossible that your Xterra is lower than others "
quote Service Director.
Anyone have an input on this.....

#427859 - 14/12/02 08:19 AM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
RS Offline

Loc: Lincoln, RI
It would be easier to help if you gave us some real information, like tire sizes to go along with wheel diameter. Also, the tire/wheel sizes of the comparison vehicles would be helpful. Any mods we should know about?

You haven't given any estimates of differences. If it's only 1 inch, you may be a whiner. If it's 3 inches you've got an issue. Which is it?

#427860 - 14/12/02 09:57 AM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
There seems to be quite a bit of discrepency from the factory too. I've seen new Xterras with no mods that looked like they had 2 inch lifts in the back and then others (like mine) with flat springs (I have since fixed that).

BTW, I'm quite sure you don't have the lowest Xterra. There's one in PNWX that actually looks like it has a drop kit in it.

For measuring, it would probably be better to measure from the axle to the bumpstop in back. That will take out tire differences and put the measurement on the spring packs. I think you should have about 2.5" - 3" between axle and bumpstop for a stock truck. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#427861 - 14/12/02 11:45 AM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Before I lifted mine, I could have sworn that the springs in the back were beginning to slightly sag. At work there is a guy with a 2001 SE, so I would park next to him to just visually make note of any differentce. Never did any exact measurements however to really prove it unfortunatly.

I'm still convinced the 2002 spring pack with only 2 leafs, despite being a tad thicker, will wear down faster than the 3 leafs from previous years.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#427862 - 14/12/02 04:26 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RS:
It would be easier to help if you gave us some real information, like tire sizes to go along with wheel diameter. Also, the tire/wheel sizes of the comparison vehicles would be helpful. Any mods we should know about?

You haven't given any estimates of differences. If it's only 1 inch, you may be a whiner. If it's 3 inches you've got an issue. Which is it?
If there was mods I would have mentioned them..hence if nothing is mentioned out of the ordinary...it usually means "talking stock"
And I am obviously comparing with Stock Xterras...did you read my post.."dealership lots"
I wouldn't be comparing my height with a modified lifted X...why would I? So nope..whinning is not the answer.
So to tell you..There are no mods..and EVERY 'size' is reffering to stock sizes.
Everyone else figured that out smile

#427863 - 14/12/02 04:28 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
There seems to be quite a bit of discrepency from the factory too. I've seen new Xterras with no mods that looked like they had 2 inch lifts in the back and then others (like mine) with flat springs (I have since fixed that).

BTW, I'm quite sure you don't have the lowest Xterra. There's one in PNWX that actually looks like it has a drop kit in it.

For measuring, it would probably be better to measure from the axle to the bumpstop in back. That will take out tire differences and put the measurement on the spring packs. I think you should have about 2.5" - 3" between axle and bumpstop for a stock truck. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
No kidding..man..I ve seen some that look lifted in the showroom..
Mine is definitely not one of them...even with the 17's on.
But I ll have the dealer take a look..
BTW...what was your fix??

#427864 - 14/12/02 05:26 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I really think you'll have to take some measurements to really justify your feelings. I forgot what you have as 15" winters, and don't know the overall diameter of the tires with 17".
I guess AAL's would be one fix, I doubt the dealer will help any unless your leafs are extra weak and sagging. (I don't think you are carrying constant heavy weight, towing or offroading which might cause a sag)

If it helps any, I could have sworn "your" X was higher than mine when I saw you rolling around on our last trip, or when we were working on your hitch. Even today, it seems I was constantly parking next to X's and convinced myself they all looked higher, ....but once parked next to each other, I could notice the difference. The catch to this, I have AAL's, my T-bars cranked, and my winters are 31's.. all the X's I see around here are stock for A to Z. ( I have yet to see another local X with as much as 31" )

#427865 - 14/12/02 05:40 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xcanuk:
I really think you'll have to take some measurements to really justify your feelings. I forgot what you have as 15" winters, and don't know the overall diameter of the tires with 17".
I guess AAL's would be one fix, I doubt the dealer will help any unless your leafs are extra weak and sagging. (I don't think you are carrying constant heavy weight, towing or offroading which might cause a sag)

If it helps any, I could have sworn "your" X was higher than mine when I saw you rolling around on our last trip, or when we were working on your hitch. Even today, it seems I was constantly parking next to X's and convinced myself they all looked higher, ....but once parked next to each other, I could notice the difference. The catch to this, I have AAL's, my T-bars cranked, and my winters are 31's.. all the X's I see around here are stock for A to Z. ( I have yet to see another local X with as much as 31" )
Hi D.
I have Toyo GP-4 tires..stock size.
hehehe Ok I feel better..
Do you think the torsion bar was touched during one of those 3 alignments I kept going back for-and maybe this could be a cause..or no...I doubt it though.

Man I parked ass to ass with another X on the road last night..
Same rims..and I assume same size tires-they didnt look that different..it was tooo dark to see the measurements..let alone have the owner come out freakin' yelling at me thinking I'm about to ruin his truck wink
nonetheless....the difference was indeed significant..His truck was higher in the back..the rear is just a little more raised than mine..and most all I see have that littler ass pop up...
Its not that the rear bumper ass is low..its just that many I see are higher..
For example..I ll measure with my hand against my body the height level of an X's rear brake light..(as if measuring a child's height) then keeping my hand at that height position I ll move over to my truck..stand at the same position and level off the rear brake light..and there's at least 1 inch difference...mine being lower..
I know I know..this isn't no technical way of measuring an actual height difference..but it NEVER fails that mine is lower...know what I mean.

#427866 - 14/12/02 07:27 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
xcanuk Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XTario:
[QUOTE]Do you think the torsion bar was touched.
T-bar would raise the front, you seem to notice the rear more, so it shouldn't be the cause.

Otherwise, the only way to tell is side by side, and with a tape. Most X owners (if you are parked next to them) are pretty easy if they see you playing with their truck. (try hitting the same year since your X has one less leaf versus previous models)..
since there are enough 02 owners here, how about a set standard measurement from ground to frame by the rear tire? (or ground to the bottom of the rear bumper since its cold out now).. with which tire/rim combo

#427867 - 14/12/02 09:40 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
KevinNC Offline

Loc: NC
How heavy is your "little sweetie" riding in the pass. seat? Tell her to get out & you might not be so low! laugh

#427868 - 15/12/02 09:31 AM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
xcanuk Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinNC:
How heavy is your "little sweetie" riding in the pass. seat? Tell her to get out & you might not be so low! laugh
Actually, its usually the mother-in-law that's in the back seat smile

#427869 - 15/12/02 11:15 AM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XTario:
No kidding..man..I ve seen some that look lifted in the showroom..
Mine is definitely not one of them...even with the 17's on.
But I ll have the dealer take a look..
BTW...what was your fix??[/QB]
I installed SLR AAL's then Calmini lift shackles when I installed the front end lift. I know it's only a matter of time though before the ass starts coming down again. My rear bumper weighs 150 lbs alone and when I wheel it also has a jerry can and hi-lift attached, plus all my gear in back. that 150 lbs everyday though will almost surely bring the back end down over time.

#427870 - 15/12/02 02:26 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinNC:
You married her man..you should know wink wink wink
C'maaaan..that was too easy... laugh

Thanks for the replies...
D. I measured my rear height from ground to under bumper edge..the most extreme corner outward...and I am always comparing with the 02's btw..
Anyway the measurment is exactly 20 inches.
I ll send you a pic from where I am measuring..cause I don't have a hst to post one here,

#427871 - 15/12/02 03:13 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
ChuckH Offline

FWIW, measuring the same spot my truck is at about 25" with 3 inches of lift and 31 inch tires. Assuming you have 30" or equivalent tires, your front torsion bars at the factory setting, and you aren't carrying more than a few lbs in the back I offer the following math:

A stock truck should be about 3-1/2 inches lower than mine in the back which would be around 22 inches (figure 1.5 to 2 inches). So, you could be riding a good 1.5 to 2 inches low.

Now, before you go completely nuts, make sure the ride height in the front of comparing Xterras is the same. The factory is also well known for setting in different ride heights up front. I think the factory actually specs about a 1 inch variable there. So, if your truck is riding an inch higher in the front than a truck you are comparing it to then that will effectively teeter the back end down a little bit. Granted, you'd have to be way high in the front to get a 3 inch reduction out back, but it could be at least some of the discrepency. Tire size and actual angle at which the truck is sitting are two main reasons I prefer to measure between the axle and bumpstops. The front end height and tires won't affect this measurement. BTW, I have just under 6 inches between the axle and bump stop on my truck with the lift. Again, subtract 3 inches and you should be sitting around 2-3/4 to 3 inches there, I think.

hope that helps.

#427872 - 15/12/02 03:36 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
FWIW, measuring the same spot my truck is at about 25" with 3 inches of lift and 31 inch tires. Assuming you have 30" or equivalent tires, your front torsion bars at the factory setting, and you aren't carrying more than a few lbs in the back I offer the following math:

A stock truck should be about 3-1/2 inches lower than mine in the back which would be around 22 inches (figure 1.5 to 2 inches). So, you could be riding a good 1.5 to 2 inches low.

Now, before you go completely nuts, .
You just killed me Chuck..
I knew it [Geek]
Seriously speaking..I have to admit that my front end is indeed one aspect that I have noticed when comparing a lot of these X's I see..that my Front End..looks higher.
I look at the space between tire and wheel well..And indeed..I have noticed that my truck does have a BIGGER space in that said area..
I wasn't sure though if that was the reason for the lower backend..
But thanks...I won't go completely nuts until I put back the 17" SC wheels in the spring...Then I will cross my fingers...

#427873 - 15/12/02 03:42 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
ChuckH Offline

Ugh, except I just noticed my math is bad! I think your truck should be at about 21 to 21-1/2 inches at that point. I didn't subtract the tire difference in my original post. A front end difference could be 1/2" of that too. Anyway you slice it though it seems you are potentially at least an inch low.

I'm sure I've probably confused the hell out of you by now so maybe I should stop? I'm even starting to confuse myself...not that it's hard to do!

#427874 - 15/12/02 05:55 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
RS Offline

Loc: Lincoln, RI
FWIW, I have slightly less than 21" at that location. That's with 31" tires.
That's not much difference. Are your "everything is stock" non-stock 15s running 31s?

#427875 - 15/12/02 08:23 PM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
xcanuk Offline

Might as well add to the confusion. To the bumper corner spot, I get 22" ( I've got Calmini AAL, 1 1/2"?? ) so that's 20.5. I do have 31" duelers on, but according to my GPS, they are tracking the same as my previous stock tires, so they may be close to stock diameter, versus the 4% difference I get with my new summer BFG AT's.

Axle to bumpstop comes out to 4 1/2" so that jives with ChuckH

#427876 - 16/12/02 09:24 AM Re: Why is my X lower than all others I see????
XTario Offline

Ok.so Im not that far off..
Will I gain height with the 17's on.
Because i didn't measure the height of X before I put the winter 15's on.
Whats funny though is..when I brought the 15'home
I slid them up against the 17' which were obviously on the truck..and the height difference was or looked very minimal..I guessed the 70 and 65 of the sidewall profile would balance out..and therefore have teh SAME height in tires...
you know the plus 1 or minus 1 rule.

BUT then when I actually mountded the 15' and went right up to a SC with 17'..I put a piece of wood on top of both tires..and the slant downward towards the 15" was quite big..meaning the height of the 15" was dramatically less the 17"
I figure the pressure on the mounted tire would make that difference..
[Freak] ok my head's spinning now wink

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal