2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427907 - 15/08/02 11:40 AM Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
I just received a pair of Calmini UCA's to replace my SLR arms (too long, camber was off). I didn't get any instructions and had a couple questions.

1) What torque values should be used to attach the ball joints to the spindle and to the UCA?

2) There are 2 small tubes of what looks like grease. I'm assuming these are to lubricate the bushings, am I wrong?

#427908 - 15/08/02 01:17 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
1. See step #15

2. I didn't get this, but yeah, that's probably what it's for.

#427909 - 15/08/02 01:28 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Thanks,
I had looked at Calmini's site on the page that was the control arm only. I didn't think to check the full kit page.

#427910 - 15/08/02 01:32 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
The X Factor Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
I could be wrong but could it possibly be lock tight that needs to be applied to the bolts that hold the balljoint to the A-Arm. If it isnt that then you might want to use some.

#427911 - 15/08/02 01:33 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
dandingo Offline

I am not sure of the torque specifications for attaching the ball joints to the UCAs, but some people have posted about the bolts coming loose after a few hundred miles. I came up with a solution (thanks to ChuckH's idea) which is working great so far. You can read more about the discussion here .

Edit: Oh yeah, use the grease on the white bushings. You will have to buy some Loctite separately.

#427912 - 18/08/02 02:39 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

I did the swap, now I have camber adjustment range. Here's the differnce in arms

#427913 - 18/08/02 06:36 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
That's really interesting and thanks for the comparison photo. Has anyone else had this problem with the SLR arms?
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#427914 - 18/08/02 07:33 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by dano:
That's really interesting and thanks for the comparison photo. Has anyone else had this problem with the SLR arms?
Yes, I could never get my truck aligned correctly.

I now have the CALMINI lift on my truck, and the alignment was a cinch.

#427915 - 18/08/02 09:14 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I noticed that SLR gives alignment specs in their instructions for the lift. I don't know if they are different than the Nissan specs, but did you guys use SLR's specs or Nissan's?

When I had my truck aligned after having the Calmini arms put on the guy said he couldn't get the Caster to spec. Did you get proper Caster? That was Les Schwab that did my alignment though, so...

I also have a pull to the left now. I'll probably take it to a better place to have the alignment done after the Calmini steering system is installed.

just rambling! :rolleyes:

BTW; you didn't pull your whole lift did you Ian? You only replaced the A-Arms right? Sorry; having nightmares imagining you pulling your nice rear springs and installing the Calmini AAL's. eek

#427916 - 18/08/02 09:46 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
BTW; you didn't pull your whole lift did you Ian? You only replaced the A-Arms right? Sorry; having nightmares imagining you pulling your nice rear springs and installing the Calmini AAL's. eek
I'm running the full CALMINI lift now.

The National spring pack sagged over 2.5 inches in the last year, so it's in the garage now with the rest of the parts. I had already bandaged the sag last year by adding the SLR 1" shackle. When I removed the springs last week I had less than 3" between the axle and rear bumpstop, which is the same as a stock Xterra.

National would not warranty the spring. They asked me to weigh my truck with all my gear in it, and they would make me an AAL for it.
Fuck that, 200 lbs. of gear in a 4100 lb. truck shouldn't cause the springs to fail that quickly.

They were a nice spring, and I miss how well they handled, but they don't last.

#427917 - 18/08/02 09:51 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

I couldn't get within Nissan's specs and barely within SLR's looser tolerance with a 1/4" bumpstop gap. I feel this is bullshit that they sell a lift that cannot be aligned to Nissan's spec with usable downtravel. The tires still looked like this: "\ /" and my front tires were wearing on the outside edges.

I also don't think their kit is balanced well front to rear. Using my rock sliders as a reference the rear was only a 1/4" higher than the front when first installed and no load in the truck. The truck looked very level almost no rake to it. With my normal load of camping gear and tools, the front was higher than the rear. With the ride height set to look level when loaded meeting either spec was impossible.

I have an appointment Tuesday to get aligned, for now I eyeballed it. I played around with the camber bolts today and can set positive or negative camber with the Calmini arms with more down travel than the SLR setup would allow. Other than the Calmini UCA's I have the rest of SLR Stage III installed and don't plan on removing it.

#427918 - 18/08/02 10:08 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
... they would make me an AAL for it.
Fuck that, 200 lbs. of gear in a 4100 lb. truck shouldn't cause the springs to fail that quickly.

They were a nice spring, and I miss how well they handled, but they don't last.
I agree they ride great but don't seem like they'll last long. $600 bucks for springs every year doesn't sound too appealing.

I discussed my problems with the ride height with Spencer and he said he would send a AAL to raise the rear. That was 18 days ago, we'll see if he comes through before GOX. I'm not holding my breath.

#427919 - 18/08/02 10:10 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow; that sucks Ian! frown Sorry to hear that.

I have kind of a mix of things going on now on my truck. I have the Calmini A-Arms, Calmini Torsion Bars, and Calmini Shackles, but have the SLR 3 pack AAL's. So far I'm very happy with the way my truck rides and drives. It also sits the way I want it visually, with the nose down stance. Hopefully my Calmini steering system won't be too far off so I can complete the package.

BTW Ian, I painted my roof rack too. Now the Turd (KMA), ARN, sliders, and roofrack are all the same color. Kicks ass if I must say so myself! laugh

Here's a side profile picture I took at work one day after adjusting the torsion bars a bit (they're still settling). I have just over half an inch between the A-Arm and the upper bump stop.

Forgot to add that I have the extended length Bilstiens in back and when the rear susension drops all the way my driveshaft just clears the frame crossmember and I had to lengthen my breather hose. I guess I'm pretty much at the max for rear droop.

#427920 - 19/08/02 09:42 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
I'm running the full CALMINI lift now.

The National spring pack sagged over 2.5 inches in the last year, so it's in the garage now with the rest of the parts. I had already bandaged the sag last year by adding the SLR 1" shackle. When I removed the springs last week I had less than 3" between the axle and rear bumpstop, which is the same as a stock Xterra.

National would not warranty the spring. They asked me to weigh my truck with all my gear in it, and they would make me an AAL for it.

They were a nice spring, and I miss how well they handled, but they don't last.[/QB]
Time to change the "Reviews" section eh?

#427921 - 19/08/02 10:30 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dano:
[b]That's really interesting and thanks for the comparison photo. Has anyone else had this problem with the SLR arms?
Yes, I could never get my truck aligned correctly.

I now have the CALMINI lift on my truck, and the alignment was a cinch.[/b]
At least the alignment issue with your SLR arms was not as bad as the problems I had with my AC arms.

Bummer about the National Springs.

#427922 - 19/08/02 11:45 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
Time to change the "Reviews" section eh?
Yes.

#427923 - 19/08/02 12:29 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
So...many...problems.

#427924 - 19/08/02 03:54 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Measuring to the frame rails is very inaccurate, and shouldn't be a basis for comparison.

After lifting, I measured 14" at the front cross member, which is 3" of lift considering the stock distance was about 11". I have no idea what you are measuring to to get 18".

The front end settled and had to be readjusted 7 times in 18 months.

I had 3 alignments, and the adjusters were as far back in the slot as they would go.

It still didn't work, and I ended up with this...

SLR originally stated 0.75" between the bumpstop and the upper arm. That was hard to measure since the bumpstop pads are in the wrong location on my arms (they were never originally designed for the Xterra or Frontier), but I was close. They later changed that to 0.75" - 0.50".

They recommend -0.5 to +0.5 camber, which was impossible to get on my truck, even after nudging the ball joints as far back into the mount as they would go. I could finally get close to the Nissan max spec of +1.1, but with arms this long, that causes too much camber under compression. I would estimate +5 degrees when cornering, which ate up a really nice set of BFG MT tires in only 18,000 miles.

With the truck sitting as high as possible to allow the best alignment I could get, the truck then sat an inch lower in the rear due to the sagged National springs.

So now it's off the truck and I am reviewing another brand and we'll see how that goes.

#427925 - 20/08/02 07:10 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Philosopher Offline

So much for all the bullshit people were saying about SLR being "great" because they have so many years of racing Nissans under their belt. Give me a break.

So what has SLR done to rectify the problems you encountered?

#427926 - 20/08/02 07:14 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
So much for all the bullshit people were saying about SLR being "great" because they have so many years of racing Nissans under their belt. Give me a break.

So what has SLR done to rectify the problems you encountered?
Mike..
Don't forget that it was SLR SR. not Jr. that had all the racing experiance. SLR still makes some great things. I guess that they are just more human than they would like to admit.

#427927 - 20/08/02 09:42 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio@work Offline

Guys,

Great information here..never have seent he SLR A-ARMs let alone sitting next to the Calmini.

Just a question though more than anything:

For the folks having troubles with Camber, how old or worn is your centerlink? The only reason I asked was after building this heim setup I had to put a washer over the top of the heim on both the Idler and Pitman or it would not align at all... meaning if there is ANY play or wear there it's impossible to get a correct camber.

As an experiment I loosened the Idler bolt a little to simulate stock centerlink wear and the more it was loosened, the more the camber was off. After retightening it, the camber came back into spec and this is just backing up 15 feet in my driveway.

Not the most scientific experiment but I think it demonstrates some of the problems folks are having with some of these AARMS.

It just doesn't make sense that BOTH AC and SLR would have quality control issues like that but it does make sense that centerlink wear is causing it.

Oh, well, just thought I'd share

MVM

#427928 - 20/08/02 09:53 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WheelOhio@work:

It just doesn't make sense that BOTH AC and SLR would have quality control issues like that but it does make sense that centerlink wear is causing it.

MVM
I think this problem is here because both the AC and SLR arms were not designed with the Xterra in mind. Rather they are adaptations of designs that happen to work with the Xterra (for some not all).

To my knowldge the Calmini arms are the only Xterra specific arms on the market.

#427929 - 20/08/02 09:58 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio@work Offline

Carlton,

Good info bro' I wasn't aware of that....hmmmmm.

MVM

#427930 - 20/08/02 10:00 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
i just wanted to add that i've never had any alignment issues with my SLR UCA's. i've been able to set it to factory alignment specs, when i first installed it and to the specs that SLR recommends. with all the futzing and changes i've done with tires and my steering set up, bumpstop clearance has always been between 1/2" to 3/4". never had a camber issue at all.

i'm assuming you guys brought this up to SLR's attention and if you did weren't you able to work something out with them? i mean why would you go out and spend another $400 for another pair of UCA's when you could work something out with the manufacturer of the product? just curious.

#427931 - 20/08/02 10:06 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio@work Offline

I've never had an issue with my AC arms but know folks that have...it's frustrating to say the least.

Carlton can speak for himself, but I beleive he got the AC arms for free or really cheap, so going with Calmini arms was probably affordable solution.

My thoughts are: ahhh who cares what AARMS you have or whose you have to have to get on the trail..as long as your wheelin'...

MVM

Edit for spelling error..oops.

#427932 - 20/08/02 10:10 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:

Carlton can speak for himself, but I beleive he got the AC arms for free or really cheap, so going with Calmini arms was probably affordable solution.

MVM

I got them from Brendan Goss (some of you may remember him - the non2002 Supercharged Xterra at GOX last year) He got them from AC as promos for his vehicle and then gave them to me once he made the same deal with Calmini. It seems that once he saw the differance in quality and build he decided to dump them.

Ask Jane at AC about it sometime.

#427933 - 20/08/02 10:15 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:

[/qb]
I got them from Brendan Goss (some of you may remember him - the non2002 Supercharged Xterra at GOX last year) He got them from AC as promos for his vehicle and then gave them to me once he made the same deal with Calmini. It seems that once he saw the differance in quality and build he decided to dump them.

Ask Jane at AC about it sometime.[/qb][/QUOTE]

dude who cares.

i agree with WheelOhio@work though, who cares what AARMS you have or whose you have to have to get on the trail..as long as your wheelin'...

whatever works best for you.

#427934 - 20/08/02 10:18 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio@work Offline

Carlton,

Okay, that does sound familiar now...Jane was explaining it a while ago but it's impossible to keep track of all the info running around out there.. smile

Glad it worked out in the long run and you've got AARMS that work for your truck.

MVM

#427935 - 20/08/02 10:41 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

I agree that if your arms are working with your truck then great.

I suppose that if there are variations in the frames of all these vehicles then the shorter arms are more likely to fit without problems. Just a thought.

#427936 - 20/08/02 10:46 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:

dude who cares.

i agree with WheelOhio@work though, who cares what AARMS you have or whose you have to have to get on the trail..as long as your wheelin'...

whatever works best for you.
Because someone cared enought to bring it up I cared enought to explain.

I agree that it makes no differance how I got the arms. What matters is the way that the problem was handled and resolved (or lack thereof)

#427937 - 20/08/02 11:57 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
i'm assuming you guys brought this up to SLR's attention and if you did weren't you able to work something out with them? i mean why would you go out and spend another $400 for another pair of UCA's when you could work something out with the manufacturer of the product? just curious.
I have been trying since April, but I'm not one of the major names in the Xterra community that gets free parts from SLR and I guess my opinions and problems carry no weight with SLR. I have talked to and emailed Spencer Jr. several times about different aspects of the lift kit. Each time I have be promised something that never arrives and I have to make due. I'm fed up, so I looked at other solutions.

Anyone want some slightly used (5000 miles) SLR arms?

#427938 - 20/08/02 11:59 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio@work Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve

Anyone want some slightly used (5000 miles) SLR arms?[/QB]
How much you askin? It would be nice to have another set around...never can have enough spares..

MVM

#427939 - 20/08/02 12:02 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
For the folks having troubles with Camber, how old or worn is your centerlink? The only reason I asked was after building this heim setup I had to put a washer over the top of the heim on both the Idler and Pitman or it would not align at all... meaning if there is ANY play or wear there it's impossible to get a correct camber.
When I installed the SLR lift, I had 5000 miles on the truck and it had been offroad maybe only 4 or 5 times. The suspension had been at stock ride height and none of the parts showed any signs of wear.

I don't see how a worn centerlink could affect camber, tow-out definitely, but camber and caster a set by the relative positions of the upper and lower control arms.

#427940 - 20/08/02 12:16 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio@work Offline

Hey Steve,

Believe it or not it does and this wasnt' anything I knew about myself untill building this steering setup.

If your centerlink is worn at the idler or pitman arms it will have a direct effect on your camber. I wish I had a detailed explanation as to why but I don't. It was discovered by another guy who built a heim setup also and using that washer in my pic up there is critical in this design. Not only for safety but for alignment as well.

Maybe some of the others here have an explanation as to why, but it does...

MVM

#427941 - 20/08/02 12:34 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve

Anyone want some slightly used (5000 miles) SLR arms?
How much you askin? It would be nice to have another set around...never can have enough spares..

MVM[/QB]
Sorry sold already for $250. Within minutes of posting I received an offer by email from Kinetic I accepted. I'll keep you in mind if the deal falls apart.

#427942 - 20/08/02 12:53 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
No worries, they'll make someone happy. Glad you were able to recoup some money.

MVM

#427943 - 20/08/02 02:38 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker
Well, thanks to loyal SLR customers, this nonsense was brought to my attention.

First off, I must say that to date SLR has 70 plus suspension lifts on the market, and a few of our customers have had issues with their vehicles’ alignment.

A few of our customers have had problems getting their trucks to factory/SLR alignment specifications. In some cases, we have found OEM frames to be manufactured inconsistently. We have also found that some frames have been subjected to such extreme abuse that they have become impossible to align.

Here at SLR, we know the importance of a perfect alignment. We will go out of our way to enhance your vehicle’s performance far beyond OEM quality.

I had a customer from Arizona that could not get a perfect alignment. Our lift was installed on this vehicle at our certified installation shop in Phoenix. The alignment technician there brought the truck within our specifications with 5/8 of an inch distance between the upper control arm and the bump stop. The customer was not happy with the 5/8”, stating that we advertise a ¾” distance in our alignment specifications. We built this customer a new pair of ¼” shorter upper control arms and he got his ¾” distance. We have not heard of any further problems with the alignment of his truck.

The point being is that here at SLR, we will go out of our way to make sure that you are happy with your investment.

Aero Steve:

Maybe you should have had your alignment shop contact us. It sounds like you are having the same frame problems as our AZ customer did. ¼” shorter arms would have cured your alignment problem ("too long, camber was off").

"I did the swap, now I have camber adjustment range. Here's the differnce in arms"

To compare Calmini’s upper control arms to Spencer Low Racing's design is ludicrous. We design droop travel into our arms.

"I discussed my problems with the ride height with Spencer and he said he would send a AAL to raise the rear. That was 18 days ago, we'll see if he comes through before GOX. I'm not holding my breath."

Should ship next week, depending on the spring manufacturer’s schedule.

Quote:
Originally posted by XOC:
"Measuring to the frame rails is very inaccurate, and shouldn't be a basis for comparison.

After lifting, I measured 14" at the front cross member, which is 3" of lift considering the stock distance was about 11". I have no idea what you are measuring to to get 18".

The front end settled and had to be readjusted 7 times in 18 months.

I had 3 alignments, and the adjusters were as far back in the slot as they would go.

It still didn't work, and I ended up with this...

SLR originally stated 0.75" between the bumpstop and the upper arm. That was hard to measure since the bumpstop pads are in the wrong location on my arms (they were never originally designed for the Xterra or Frontier), but I was close. They later changed that to 0.75" - 0.50".

They recommend -0.5 to +0.5 camber, which was impossible to get on my truck, even after nudging the ball joints as far back into the mount as they would go. I could finally get close to the Nissan max spec of +1.1, but with arms this long, that causes too much camber under compression. I would estimate +5 degrees when cornering, which ate up a really nice set of BFG MT tires in only 18,000 miles.

With the truck sitting as high as possible to allow the best alignment I could get, the truck then sat an inch lower in the rear due to the sagged National springs.

So now it's off the truck and I am reviewing another brand and we'll see how that goes."

I must stop all of your XOC fairy tales. This is an email that was sent to SLR after sending Ian new ball joints.

Quote:
Just a heads up, I finally got my alignment dialed in.

The switch to the D21 ball joints was the issue. There was just enough play in
the mounting holes that they were sitting outboard on the arm.
We loosened the 4 bolts holding the balljoint in place, and moved the ball joint
inward about 1/8" and were able to get it within spec.

Regards,
Ian Firth
------------------------
Xterra Owners Club http://www.xterraownersclub.com
Xterra Journal http://www.xterrain.com
Rocky Mountain Xterra Club http://www.rmxc.org
Please refrain from making your discrediting remarks. In your email, you stated that your alignment is correct. In public message boards, you have discredited SLR’s lift designs and have passed on myths regarding SLR.

I was willing to work with you on your spring pack issue and I stated that we have designed 2 add-a-leaves to replace 2 leaves in your sagging spring pack. Leaf springs are very sensitive to additional weight, and our springs are designed for 200-300 lb. of additional weight to be carried at all times. Our add-a-leaves will replace 2 springs in each pack with a thicker wire spring and will be able to achieve 1.5” of additional lift, but will not re-arch your spring pack past the original design. You will be able to carry additional weight of 400-600 lb. at all times with these add-a-leaves. You will notice a higher spring rate (stiffer spring).

Philosopher:

"So much for all the bullshit people were saying about SLR being "great" because they have so many years of racing Nissans under their belt. Give me a break."

Our Nissan heritage will never dissolve. It will only grow more powerful. We will have many years of racing in the future with the V6 chassis and the VG and VQ series powerplants.

"So what has SLR done to rectify the problems you encountered?"

There is nothing wrong with any of the components that we are building. There may be inconsistencies in OEM and damaged frames, or alignments may not be performed properly by technicians.

Calmini McMillan:

"Mike..
Don't forget that it was SLR SR. not Jr. that had all the racing experiance. SLR still makes some great things. I guess that they are just more human than they would like to admit."

I was waiting for one of your always consistent know-it-all remarks.

To be quite honest, my father was involved in the design process of our upper control arm.

"I think this problem is here because both the AC and SLR arms were not designed with the Xterra in mind. Rather they are adaptations of designs that happen to work with the Xterra (for some not all). "

Again, stating your ignorance. Go buy a set of Desert Steel arms, which are now on the market as Automotive Customizers’ upper control arms. Take a measurement from pivot to pivot of those arms, and then take a measurement of your Calmini arms from pivot to pivot. Post your results here.

Desert Steel of Lake Havasu City, Arizona, manufactures all of 4x4parts' arms. Do they build SLR’s upper control arms? Not a chance. Is the design concept the same in the tubular construction? Yes.

My father and Jim were on the same Factory Nissan team. After Nissan pulled out from motorsports, Jim started to design and build lift kits, the same kits that Desert Steel and 4x4 Parts are building and selling off of 10 year-old fixtures.

"To my knowledge the Calmini arms are the only Xterra specific arms on the market."

Rancho? Fabtech?

Your knowledge consists of spending the better part of the day looking through offroad archives to find things like your "Texas manufacturer” theory. Give up; Nissan has many different frames. 1999 was a major year for a redesign in frames and powertrains.

I have 70 plus kits on the market. I have had about 4 complaints about alignments. I have addressed all alignment issues and will do anything to make my customers happy.

I don’t know why Ian has resentment towards SLR’s not giving him our steering system. He favors the company that will give him the most free products. Maybe he just enjoys spreading XOC fairy tales? I have provided proof that he has had alignment within specifications.

The customer will have to decide. I am more than willing to help any SLR customer with the slightest alignment issue.

We will be receiving a set of Calmini arms free of charge. I will run these arms on our test vehicles and provide test results (RIT Scores), photos, and videos of a Calmini lift against a SLR lift. This photo and video feedback from various test sessions at a variety of locations (street corners, cone times, rock crawling, desert running, etc.) will be provided to the Nissan community for review.

If there are any questions regarding this post, I will do my best to reply. I have the SEMA show and Off Road Expo, photo shoots, and GOX coming up in the next few months. I will not reply to posts that are intended to flame.

Thank you for your support and your time. I apologize if my post is offensive to anyone in the Nissan community. I am just tired of constantly reading misleading information.

Thank you,

Spencer Ryan Low

#427944 - 20/08/02 03:34 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing:

Desert Steel of Lake Havasu City, Arizona, manufactures all of 4x4parts' arms. Do they build SLR?s upper control arms? Not a chance. Is the design concept the same in the tubular construction? Yes.

Spencer Ryan Low Jr.
Correct me if I am wrong.. Although as you stated above about Desert Steel making the UCA's for AC. Is it not correct that you do not make the UCA's for your lift? Are they not in fact made by FST in Pheonix?

Just wanting to get my facts strait as to who is making what components in the various lifts out there..

#427945 - 20/08/02 03:56 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Please refrain from making your discrediting remarks. In your email, you stated that your alignment is correct. In public message boards, you have discredited SLR’s lift designs and have passed on myths regarding SLR.

I was willing to work with you on your spring pack issue and I stated that we have designed 2 add-a-leaves to replace 2 leaves in your sagging spring pack. Leaf springs are very sensitive to additional weight, and our springs are designed for 200-300 lb. of additional weight to be carried at all times. Our add-a-leaves will replace 2 springs in each pack with a thicker wire spring and will be able to achieve 1.5” of additional lift, but will not re-arch your spring pack past the original design. You will be able to carry additional weight of 400-600 lb. at all times with these add-a-leaves. You will notice a higher spring rate (stiffer spring).
When the lift kit was new, getting it aligned was difficult, but not impossible, which I mentioned in my review. Shortly after the initial installation, the boots on the ball joints tore, and you replaced them with D21 ball joints. These seemed to fit better, and allowed the truck to be aligned closer to factory spec.

Somewhere along the line, you came up with your -0.5 to +0.5 camber spec, which was impossible to get on my truck. The best I could get was the max Nissan spec of +1.1 degrees. This is a very large amount of positive camber for a truck with longer upper control arms. As soon as the suspension compresses, the longer arms force the top of the tire outward, creating excessive wear on the outside edge of the tire.

You mentioned to me on the phone that you prefer this because the truck handles better. Sorry, but that is just not true. Using less of the tire contact patch does not increase traction, it decreases it.

Last year before GOX, I called and told you the rear springs were sagging. You sold me the 1" shackles, which were by then part of your kit. That leads me to believe the springs were not setup correctly from the beginning.

Over this Summer, the springs continued to sag, to the point that I had 3" of clearance from axle tube to bumpstop, which is what a stock Xterra has. Basically I had a 0" lift in the rear.

I mentioned this to you on the phone, and you told me I was carrying too much stuff in my truck. You stated the springs were never designed for anything but an empty Xterra.
I carry about 200 lbs of gear in the back, plus myself, Leslie and a 60 lb. Pit Bull. That sounds like a normal amount of gear for anyone who 4 wheels their Xterra.

I asked you about the warranty on the springs, and you said you didn't know of one. I asked if I should call National Spring, and you said that would be fine.
I called National, and they requested that I load my Xterra up with gear, find a truck scale, and weigh just the back half of the Xterra. They then said they would see if they could make a new leaf for it.

At no time did you say you had, or were making, a 2 leaf replacement set for this spring pack. And if you indeed had, wouldn't that mean you were fully aware of the sagging issue ?

At that point I just gave up.
I was tired of crawling under my truck every month to adjust the sagging torsion bars, then taking my truck to the dealer for an alignment.
I was tired of bottoming out over anything with my camping gear loaded in the back.
I was tired of watching $700 worth of tires wearing away on the outside edge.
I was tired of the rear tires hitting the body work because the spring pack relocates the rear axle an inch too far forward.

So I tried something else. CALMINI wanted their lift reviewed, so I offered to do so.

Next year I may have something completely different under my truck, who knows...

You got your ads on XOC, 3.4 million of them, and they've driven 4,731 customers to your site. I got a lift kit for 18 months, and I was happy with it for 10 of those months.

Call it even.

#427946 - 20/08/02 03:56 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Quote:
[b]

Desert Steel of Lake Havasu City, Arizona, manufactures all of 4x4parts' arms. Do they build SLR?s upper control arms? Not a chance. Is the design concept the same in the tubular construction? Yes.

Spencer Ryan Low Jr.
Correct me if I am wrong.. Although as you stated above about Desert Steel making the UCA's for AC. Is it not correct that you do not make the UCA's for your lift? Are they not in fact made by FST in Pheonix?

Just wanting to get my facts strait as to who is making what components in the various lifts out there..[/b]
Damn! It looks like FST knows what they are doing even if they are fabricating parts designed by SLR.

FST

#427947 - 20/08/02 04:08 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
I don’t know why Ian has resentment towards SLR’s not giving him our steering system. He favors the company that will give him the most free products.
I told you on the phone, I am not interested in your steering system, free or not.

The only companies I favor are those who go out of their way to help this site and the Xterra community. I favor CALMINI because they are involved in the community. They help sponsor GOX and goneMOAB. Xterraparts.com sponsors this site, and pays to keep it running. What events have you helped with ?

As for 'free' products, your lift kit was $1685, which is a sum larger than any other vendor has given me.

If you truly believe that I am in it for free parts, then I will gladly pay you the $1685 for the lift kit, and send you a bill for 3.4 million ad exposures at $1.25 CPM.

You owe me $2565.

#427948 - 20/08/02 04:14 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Damn! It looks like FST knows what they are doing even if they are fabricating parts designed by SLR.
And here I was, thinking SLR was actually doing their own work on their trucks...

#427949 - 20/08/02 04:16 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
The only companies I favor are those who go out of their way to help this site and the Xterra community. I favor CALMINI because they are involved in the community. They help sponsor GOX and goneMOAB. Xterraparts.com sponsors this site, and pays to keep it running.
Does that mean that when you say Calmini makes the best , you're not really saying it's the best; you're just saying it's the best because they sponsor GOX? That's sorta what it sounds like you're saying.

#427950 - 20/08/02 04:20 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

I favor the company, not necessarily what they make. Xterraparts.com doesnt make anything, but I like the company, and what they offer Xterra Owners and this community.

#427951 - 20/08/02 04:24 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
In the same vein as Eric's post,Ian, shouldn't the parts build quality and fit be the only factor in determining your recommendations?

What would be the case had AC been the one to sponsor GOX or GONE and contribute to maintaining this site? Even though you feel they are an inferior alternative you probably still wouldn't recommend them would you ?

After reading your post and SLR's post you didn't follow up his comments with a responce to the issue of the allignment. It might be helpfull since that was a major factor in this discussion if you could clarify that issue.

#427952 - 20/08/02 06:17 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

DesertRat, is there some purpose to your post besides (yet again) complaining about one phone call you had with CALMINI and (yet again) advertising your board ?

#427953 - 20/08/02 06:22 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
In the same vein as Eric's post,Ian, shouldn't the parts build quality and fit be the only factor in determining your recommendations?

What would be the case had AC been the one to sponsor GOX or GONE and contribute to maintaining this site? Even though you feel they are an inferior alternative you probably still wouldn't recommend them would you ?

After reading your post and SLR's post you didn't follow up his comments with a responce to the issue of the allignment. It might be helpfull since that was a major factor in this discussion if you could clarify that issue.
I don't recommend anything. People should decide themselves which vendors to buy from.

It's obvious that build quality and fit should be the most important aspects of a purchase. Customer service comes second, and really isn't important if the products work.

I like a lot of the stuff SLR is making, and EOE and CALMINI, but there will always be parts that I am not happy with.

Should that matter to anyone ? No. Make up your own minds, it's not my job.

#427954 - 20/08/02 08:24 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Since I started this thread and posted the comparison photo, I feel obligated to give a more indepth explanation of my reasons to switch to Calmini arms. This has blown up more than I expected. My apologies to Spencer this was not my intent. I am not interested in flaming anyone's product, only what works for me and my truck. I chose to swap arms to Calmini because they were instock and I couldn’t count on the AAL I needed for ride height to be here in time for GOX. I’m not singling out SLR, in my opinion they are no better or worse than any of the other Xterra aftermarket suppliers (Calmini where’s my bumper laugh ).

I was unhappy with the front ride height required to be aligned. I probably didn’t express myself strongly enough to Spencer in 2 emails and a couple phone calls since I got it. I could get aligned, but only at ¼” gap on the bumpstop, even then it was at the edge of SLR’s spec in camber and caster. (I misspoke about SLR’s looser tolerances in an earlier post, I found out today in positive camber they are actually tighter than Nissan’s) But as soon as the torsion bars sagged it was out and I did not have any camber adjustment left. This was complicated by the fact the truck is settling in the rear. For the front to be in alignment it rides nose high. I preferred the ride with the front end lower than this but couldn’t be aligned at that ride height. The solution to me was shorter arms or jack the back up and live with the high front. I sent Spence an email on 6/19 describing my situation and asked specifically for shorter arms. Ten day later I got a canned response “you must maintain 3/4" to 5/8" between the upper control arm and the upper control arm bump stop”. I do not know what your X is set at but I will do anything in my power to help you attain a perfect alignment.” No mention of the rear sag. I responded immediately and reiterated my problem. No reply. I spent awhile out of town, but 4 weeks later I called and got a call back from Spencer. This is when he promised AAL’s. With the front as high as it was, I was also concerned about blowing a CV joint.

Spencer, If you are going to conduct business over the internet step one is to answer email from customers in a timely manner. Review my emails, there is something you promised to send over a month ago or at least tell me the size

After I saw Carlton’s comparisons of AC and Calmini arms I started thinking about using the Calmini arms. A couple of the guys in my club had AC arms and we all had front ends that looked the same. \ / What finally convinced me to swap to the Calmini’s was when one of the guys in my club swapped his AC arms for Calmini’s and I got to compare my tires with new Trxus and saw how much mine were worn on the outer edges after 10000 miles, 5000 lifted

Quote:
Well, thanks to loyal SLR customers, this nonsense was brought to my attention.
Thank you for classifying me as a disloyal customer full on nonsense laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing
I had a customer from Arizona that could not get a perfect alignment. Our lift was installed on this vehicle at our certified installation shop in Phoenix. The alignment technician there brought the truck within our specifications with 5/8 of an inch distance between the upper control arm and the bump stop. The customer was not happy with the 5/8”, stating that we advertise a 3/4" distance in our alignment specifications. We built this customer a new pair of 1/4" shorter upper control arms and he got his 3/4” distance. We have not heard of any further problems with the alignment of his truck.

The point being is that here at SLR, we will go out of our way to make sure that you are happy with your investment.

[b]Aero Steve:

Maybe you should have had your alignment shop contact us. It sounds like you are having the same frame problems as our AZ customer did. ¼” shorter arms would have cured your alignment problem ("too long, camber was off")..[/b]
Nice story, I guess you do not remember the email I sent requesting shorter arms or offset bushings for the UCA. I was told I didn’t have my truck properly set up.

The alignment shop did contact you (I have a fax from you to them) The alignment shop in question is very well respected in this area and has experience with modified vehicles of all sorts.

Quote:
To compare Calmini’s upper control arms to Spencer Low Racing's design is ludicrous. We design droop travel into our arms.
Your right the designs differ and the SLR kit has more travel from what I can see on my truck. The SLR arms are longer as illustrated by my picture. From my experience with your product the “droop” travel was negated by the need to set the ride height so high for alignment. With the torsion bars cranked to support this height, the front was stiff and up travel was limited as well.

Quote:
[b]"I discussed my problems with the ride height with Spencer and he said he would send a AAL to raise the rear. That was 18 days ago, we'll see if he comes through before GOX. I'm not holding my breath."

Should ship next week, depending on the spring manufacturer’s schedule.[/b]
Thanks they will be appreciated, but it won’t help me for GOX if it arrives while I’m there. So I found a solution that worked in the timeframe I had.

#427955 - 21/08/02 05:44 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I too have found that SLR takes a long time to answer Emails... Most of them are answered, though I've sent a few that have disappeared into the ether somewhere...

As for UCAs, I've made up my mind - Calmini. It's the only UCA that I've consistently heard "I installed it and aligned the truck perfectly" about. SLR's UCAs are $100 more expensive and require the diff drop bushings be installed. That's more work than I care for right about now. I've heard nothing but bad things about the AC arms, so I'm not even considering those.

Generally, I like SLR's stuff - and have a good bit of it under my truck. The quality is excellent - no doubt about that. The pricing however, is a bit steep on some things (UCAs and steering system, for example).

Lastly, I don't understand why these types of posts ALWAYS turn into a pissing contest. Who cares! Use what works... As for Ian's "reviews" - well, like any review, they suck. It's nothing more than one person's opinion. Like movies - judge for yourself based on multiple accounts. Simple, really.

#427956 - 21/08/02 11:57 AM Re: Calmini UCA install questions

Carlton McMillan:

"Correct me if I am wrong.. Although as you stated above about Desert Steel making the UCA's for AC. Is it not correct that you do not make the UCA's for your lift? Are they not in fact made by FST in Pheonix?"

I must say, you have way too much time on your hands. Some of SLR’s production-orientated parts are made at FST.

xoc:

"Blah blah blah"

This is like talking to a wall. Blue and yellow look great together. Happy wheelin’.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc
I told you on the phone, I am not interested in your steering system, free or not.
Again, misleading information.

Quote:
To:
Subject: Spencer Jr., I need some info ASAP
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 1:34 AM

When is the steering kit coming out ?

My center track bar is toast, and is being replaced tomorrow. If your steering
kit is shipping very soon (within 5 days), I will avoid the fix with factory
parts.
"And here I was, thinking SLR was actually doing their own work on their trucks..."

You are jumping to conclusions. :rolleyes:

Ian, my intentions are not to create bad blood here. I do enjoy reading this message board and applaud what you are doing for the community. I have worked very hard to design parts for the Nissan community, and I don’t need this ignorant and misleading information to be constantly posted. I have worked way too hard to have the same people constantly discrediting my products.

I have many new parts coming to the market in the upcoming months and also have some huge shows and photo shoots. I would like to keep busy with my products and not have to defend my parts. And we wonder why Nissans have such a weak aftermarket parts selection.

I love the Nissan product. I would not be racing and designing parts if I thought there are any design flaws in the Nissan product. Yes, there are a couple of OEM flaws, but for the most part, it is a solid platform and aftermarket solutions.

When do moderators come into play?? Do they at all?

DesertRAT:

Thanks for your interest. This is a typical XOC flame/discussion.

Aero Steve:

I do apologize for all your wasted time and effort with my product. I will do anything in my power to make you happy in the future. Maybe a beer at GOX?

I am sorry that I cannot answer your questions and emails in a reasonable amount of time. I am spread thin and there are only so many hours in the day. I hope all of your components work well for you.

Please send the CNC shock spacers to the person who purchased your arms or have him contact us at 928-667-4757.

Again, I apologize if my post has offended anyone. I am just tired of seeing misleading information and constant flames. I work hard to be publicly discredited.

Again, thanks for your interest and support.

>>>SLR

#427957 - 21/08/02 12:08 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Please send the CNC shock spacers to the person who purchased your arms or have him contact us at 928-667-4757.
???? I'm not sure what you're referring to. Were these already on the shocks?

#427958 - 21/08/02 12:44 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Spencer, that email is from August of last year, long before anyone saw your steering system.

The earliest photo or information you gave me was March 2002. After looking it over, I decided it was not something I wanted on my truck.

When should I expect my check for $2565 ?

#427959 - 21/08/02 01:26 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
As you said, we should only post FACTS. However, my guess is that Spencer decided not to let you test the parts for free, so at that point you decided the upgrade wasn't good enough for whatever reason.
I don't think Ian ever said it was a poor design, just over priced. You do realize that the Calmini setup is 1/2 the cost with no hassle about core returns. Even with the returns, it's up to SLR to judge if you get the refund on the parts.

#427960 - 21/08/02 01:40 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions

Aero Steve:

CNC spacers are put on the shocks by SLR. They are on the front Bilstein shocks.

These spacers will space your shock down 3/8" to protect the shock from bottoming out with SLR's upper control arms. You will not need these spacers with your new setup. The shocks will be stroking the same amount of shock as OEM.

YOU WILL NOT GAIN ANY ADDITIONAL WHEEL TRAVEL

xoc:

"Spencer, that email is from August of last year, long before anyone saw your steering system.

The earliest photo or information you gave me was March 2002. After looking it over, I decided it was not something I wanted on my truck.

When should I expect my check for $2565 ?"

I said You said = wasted time.

There's no winning with an administrator.

We both know what we have talked about.

As for the $2565, put as credit for the next review on Stage 10. [Laughing]

This thread is going nowhere. Back to work.

Contact if problems or questions at 928-667-4757.

>>>SLR

#427961 - 21/08/02 01:59 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
I recall this conversation and you were amped to get the SLR setup on your truck until the price was announced a couple days later. At that point you decided you didn't want it.

As you said, we should only post FACTS. However, my guess is that Spencer decided not to let you test the parts for free, so at that point you decided the upgrade wasn't good enough for whatever reason.
Yep, go read the thread. Nothing ever showed up at my house. I waited a month (actually 3 months from my original phone call from SLR stating "it is shipping this week").

Spencer never said anything about me buying the system. He said he would "send one out for me to test and review".

Then he posted online about it being $900 and I said "too expensive" before I even knew he was going to charge me for it.

I offer a service here. I exchange advertisement for parts. I review parts for vendors. I help vendors develop products.

I have no interest in spending $900 on $300 worth of parts. I told Spencer that on the phone. I told him that if the price was more reasonable, I might be interested in buying it. Now, I could give a fuck as there is a much better solution on the way at a much better price.

So, what kind of deal did SLR give you on your steering system to hawk it on all the boards ?

#427962 - 21/08/02 02:00 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
As for the $2565, put as credit for the next review on Stage 10.
That will come in handy considering I had to buy part of your Stage 3 system, even though our contract states it was a barter for the entire system.

#427963 - 21/08/02 02:29 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Do you guys really want all of us to know what your deals are? Don't post shit in anger that can come back to haunt you. Be smarter than that and take it to a PM or e-mail and work it out. Then come back here and slave your days away making my life better. laugh

#427964 - 21/08/02 03:34 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Quote:
BTW, guess again on the $300 worth of parts. I have a buddy developing his own, very similar system for the D21 chassis, and he's going to be in it at least $500. Still cheaper than the SLR setup, but not by a heckuva lot.
$900-500 = $400 (heckuva little bit).

Now that is assuming he is replacing everything and not just making a new centerlink.

It is one thing to cover R&D, but still unless calmini's breaks (ie MVM that is scary crap no matter what you were doing) SLR is going to sell a lot less then 70 sets.

ALAN

#427965 - 21/08/02 07:45 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
Don't post shit in anger that can come back to haunt you.
I'm not angry about anything.

I installed the SLR lift and reviewed it and drove with it for 18 months. There was no stipulation that it had to remain on my Xterra until the end of time. Now I'm trying something else. Big deal.

I'm not sure why everyone has to get so wound up about all this.

#427966 - 21/08/02 08:29 PM Re: Calmini UCA install questions
WheelOhio Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
(ie MVM that is scary crap no matter what you were doing)
Yes it is, which is exactly why I posted it instead of keeping it to myself. People need to understand what it takes to develop a steering system and the amount of time involved, and of course..failures.

You must fail before you can succeed and until you undertake a venture like this you have no idea what it takes to solve it.

We can all be thankful that Calmini(someday soon, we all hope) and SLR have done the dirty work for you. What you don't see are the failures...only the solutions and that my friends is why these systems cost so much. Don't think for a minute that all the designs you have seen have all failed at some point, drug back into the shop, rehashed, retested, re abused..then done all over again.

The big difference is I'm willing to tell you about mine and be honest about it...why? cause I don't have any plans to try to make a living at it..just share information with others so they can decide how much involvement they are willing to comit.

You all can see my setup first hand at GOX..poke at it, take a pic, whatever. I'll even explain how and where it broke...all over a beer of course..

(Edit for sig)

MVM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal