Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#428702 - 30/11/04 06:58 PM bodyl lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to be doing a 2" body lift here in a couple of weeks and so I thought I would see if anyone has any tips for making it a little faster/easier. I haven't done much work on cars, however one of the guys that is helping me has done quite a bit. Also, if anyone lives near me and wants to help with the party I will provide food and drinks. Thanks.

#428703 - 30/11/04 07:21 PM Re: bodyl lift
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Start familiarizing yourself with the body mounts (10) and the involved bolt head/nut sizes/locations....and hit them all with nut blaster/penetrating oil now, while you're waiting....they can be really rust welded in place...and the longer the oil has to work on it for you, the easier your install day will be (Fewer strips, busted knuckles, etc.).

Do look at every single thing that runs from the frame to the body...various lines, A/C, vents, axle ring, shifters, electrical, your steering column (Secure in place to avoid losing alignment of steering wheel...)...and when ready, loosen it all so it can slide when the body moves away.

(Don't forget these need to be pre-oiled too...)

A bunch of zip ties on-hand can be a blessing.

I did the 2" BL with buds just this summer, time - wise, it took a solid 3 hrs of attention for 3 guys not counting pizza/beverage breaks, etc.

It was streamlined by the fact that one bud has done many BL's, and acted as foreman.

You'll need more than one tool set for maximum efficiency...have the buds bring theirs too. (One holds top of bolt, inside truck, one turns from below truck, etc...)

For the 2", you can ignore the radiator related braces and so forth, and just let it ride connected (w/o draining, etc.).

I have a 5 spd SE...and my T-case shifter (As it was essentially now shorter) could not engage 4 lo as it now hit the cup holder...so I dremmeled a slot in the cup holder, and the shifter just slides into the gap just fine. (The rubber cup holder liner hides the slot in the plastic, and crushes easily when in lo, and pops back up when in hi...)

If raising the bumpers to conceal the gap...

Get some good drill bits (Duplicates) to drill new holes for re-mounting the bumpers...or leave the 2" gap if it doesn't matter to you, its merely an esthetic issue alone....and maybe structural if you need to tow, etc. from it. (Leaving it low is stronger, raising it looks better) - You can brace the raised position to compensate/increase the strength, etc.)

Hope that helps!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#428704 - 30/11/04 07:38 PM Re: bodyl lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey I just put mine on this weekend took me 8 hours by myself. Youll be able to do it it just takes some time. Really easy!

#428705 - 01/12/04 07:04 AM Re: bodyl lift
TJ Offline

As requested...pics of console cup holder cut out to allow t-case to slide down for 4 lo:

Appearance in 2 hi with rubber cup holder insert in place

With 4 low engaged

Cut out in cup holder plastic, normally hidden by rubber insert

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#428706 - 01/12/04 07:29 AM Re: bodyl lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like you gotta clean your truck, TJ. :p

#428707 - 01/12/04 08:23 AM Re: bodyl lift
TJ Offline

:p

You should see it when its REALLY dirty....this IS cleaned.

[Smoking]

#428708 - 01/12/04 11:48 AM Re: bodyl lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

[LOL] [LOL] [ThumbsUp]

#428709 - 01/12/04 09:57 PM Re: bodyl lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks a lot for the pictures TJ

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts