2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#429779 - 02/01/02 10:12 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
If you look at the chart of the part #'s, they are listed in order of stiffness. I'm running the 10% stiffer in front and the 20% stiffer (the longer ones for the AAL and no sway bar) in back.

#429780 - 03/01/02 09:30 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
rolojr Offline

Loc: Jersey
Dayspring:

Finally ordered the shocks from shox.com, but can't find a place that carries the Rancho AALs (part # RS510). Did you get yours on the web? If so, where?

#429781 - 03/01/02 10:13 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Just an unwarranted testimony:

I got the Bilsteins before our trip to Labrador, and my first test of them was a 4000 mile trip into the pseudo wilderness. 600+ miles of dirt, gravel, and poorly graded washboard roads, some rockcrawling, some high speed cruising (85 on the dirt, 98 on the pavement) and they held up stupendously. I felt safer even though I had 400 lbs on my roofrack. My codriver who normally drives a Range Rover said it handled far better than his unladen Rangie.

Get em, just be careful of the rocks.

Matt

#429782 - 03/01/02 10:24 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Dude, did you ever post any pics of your whirlwind tour of the far North East? Love to see some if you have 'em up somewhere.

#429783 - 03/01/02 10:43 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
Dayspring Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rolojr:
Dayspring:

Finally ordered the shocks from shox.com, but can't find a place that carries the Rancho AALs (part # RS510). Did you get yours on the web? If so, where?

I got my AAL's through Todd at EOE. His website is here. http://www.extreme4x4parts.com

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Dayspring ]

#429784 - 03/01/02 10:50 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
Dude, did you ever post any pics of your whirlwind tour of the far North East? Love to see some if you have 'em up somewhere.

You know, no I don't. I got back on like the 2nd of September, and then bamm. 9/11. I forgot about it.

I'll see if I can revive the machine that has all the stuff on it.

Matt

#429785 - 09/01/02 12:59 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I ordered them today from SLR . I just wanted to thank you guys that responded with your opinions. It feels better when I can make an educated and informed buying descision.

#429786 - 09/01/02 01:41 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
Dayspring Offline

Glad we would help. U get the longer ones for AAL's? Or just replaced with the stock height?

#429787 - 09/01/02 02:27 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
Glad we would help. U get the longer ones for AAL's? Or just replaced with the stock height?

For now I went with OE height. I talked to a few people and the ammount of travel I'd be losing coupled with the possible problems I might incur with too much torsion lift didn't seem to make sence for me. I'd rather er on the side of caution and do a complete correct lift/travel suspension when I'm more confident that the potential steering problems have been solved. Thanks again.Patrick

edited to add: And for now the X mod budget needs serious replenishing! Why would anyone want to lift a minvan anyways?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: socalpunX ]

#429788 - 14/01/02 01:47 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
rolojr Offline

Loc: Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:

I got my AAL's through Todd at EOE. His website is here. http://www.extreme4x4parts.com

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Dayspring ]

Todd at EOE was great. Got the AALs next day! Just installed them last week and they are a great match with the Bilsteins and w/o the swaybar. I don't even notice the difference the swaybar may have made, although I don't corner hard.

However... the day after, my front end gets hit by a kid running a red light! mad My shocks seem to be OK, but my lower bumper is toast. Hmmm... maybe the kid's insurance company will replace it with an ARB? cool ...whatever.

Actually, if I hadn't raised my front-end a little with a few cranks to compensate for the ass-high AALs, my upper bumper, lights, and hood may have been fooked up.

#429789 - 29/01/02 12:47 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
socalpunx Offline

Again I want to thank those of you that helped point me toward the Bilsteins . Driving the Rincon trail was like riding in my grandmother's Cadilac compared to stock. At first I didn't notice a significant difference on-road other than the fact that it seemed to swallow up the potholes and dips but once you get off the pavement, WOW !

Handling was improved , more steering controll, less front end dive on braking , and it just seemed to eat up ruts and washouts. A HUGE difference between the previous bone jarring experience and now.

Even if you don't have any immediate plans on doing a lift this can make your truck more capable and give it much improved performance off-road. Money well spent!

I also just turned the T-Bars just enough to level out the truck (about 1 1/2 inches) and the ride height and front clearance was a nice improvement.

#429790 - 30/01/02 09:55 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
Tuco Offline

I too just put the Bilsteins on and although I haven't been offroad w/ them yet...they have made a huge improvement in regular driving. Noticed right away better braking as it appears the front doesn't dive as much and transfer the weight. Also, it handles great around the clover leaf freeway on/off ramps around here. Certainly one of the best improvements you can make.

Beaker

#429791 - 31/01/02 06:59 AM Re: Bilstein opinions
Dayspring Offline

Wow- I (and the others who posted) helped out 3 people. That's what XOC is about!

#429792 - 01/02/02 12:30 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
methodmann007 Offline

Loc: Plano, Tx
I have a brand new X right and I don't have anything done to it yet because I kind of want to reserve my warranties for awhile. smile My question is can I put the Bilstein's on and add the AAL's, crank the torsion bars up an inch or so and remove the rear swaybar without voiding my warranties? If I can that would be cool. How much ride height would I gain and would 31" tires be the only size tires I could put on with minimal trimming? laugh
5-Spd.
"Bone Stock"

#429793 - 01/02/02 01:06 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
Guy Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
Good question Vince. I am pondering the same question. I've searched the board and found 1 comment where the guy thought it would not negate the warranty. I plan on contacting my local dealer to see what they say. When it comes to warranties there's never a clear answer, especially between dealers. When I find something out I'll let you know.

#429794 - 01/02/02 01:15 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
methodmann007 Offline

Loc: Plano, Tx
Quote:
Good question Vince. I am pondering the same question. I've searched the board and found 1 comment where the guy thought it would not negate the warranty. I plan on contacting my local dealer to see what they say. When it comes to warranties there's never a clear answer, especially between dealers. When I find something out I'll let you know.

Thank. I would appreciate that. Also if anyone else knows a little something please inform me. smile
5-Spd.
"Bone Stock"

#429795 - 01/02/02 01:24 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
Dayspring Offline

I believe that if you go to www.sema.org , there is a link that explains a law put forth that says that a warranty cannot be voided b/c of an aftermarket part. (Basically, a dealer can't void a suspension warranty b/c of a stereo, but he can if you do the AAL's and you need to replace something on the rear suspension.)

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Dayspring ]

#429796 - 01/02/02 09:33 PM Re: Bilstein opinions
Tuco Offline

Regardless of SEMA's battle cry...it seems that it doesn't take much for the dealer to find a way to claim a warranty is void. So my approach has been to give them very little wiggle room in case anything ever did happen. I spoke to the local dealer about suspension mods and he basically said anything done would give them reason to void it. Of course that always seems to be the standard answer. In particular shackles and the a-arm swap out was on their radar. In terms of the AAL & torsion adjustment...they've never said a word. I recall though in another group where someone took their X in for service and the mechanic made some notation re: "extensive" suspension mods which amounted to the above mentioned. I think the spring pack warranty is up to 50K...but I believe beyond that not much is covered (the pros can fill u in on this).

Beaker

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal