2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#430070 - 21/04/08 05:50 AM Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2007 w/ automatic trans. and 7,500 miles on it. I bought it for my business and I haul a 65 gallon water tank inside. The other day I filled the tank, and added other gear that weighed maybe another 50 pounds and tried it out. While on a logging road traveling maybe 5mph or less, the rear suspension will bottom when hitting a 4-6 inch pothole! Funny thing is when unloaded, hitting the same potholes, it feels like the suspension is rock hard. What gives(no pun intended)? How can I improve the unloaded ride and not bottom when loaded?! Any info would be appreciated!

#430071 - 21/04/08 07:45 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon so you've got almost 600 pounds of cargo supported almost exclusively by the rear suspension when the tank is full and you add in the weight of the other stuff that you mentioned. The Xterra (or any other small to mid-size SUV for that matter) is not a good choice for your needs. It's not realistic to expect your truck to carry that load over 4-6 inch potholes without bottoming out.

If you absolutely have to use it this way you can explore the installation of overload springs. They will add firmness to the ride while loaded but shouldn't make the ride any harsher while empty - but I wouldn't expect tremendous improvement and I'm not sure this will completely resolve the problem. You can also consider moving the tank forward so the weight is being distributed over the front and rear suspensions - but you'd have to fold the rear seats down to do it.

A better alternative is to move up to a larger pickup truck for this kind of use - or mounting the tank in a trailer.

#430072 - 21/04/08 08:03 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

X2, airbags might be something that you should look into as well

#430073 - 21/04/08 08:28 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rear seats are folded down. 65 gallons of water with an additional 50 pounds still weighs less than 600 pounds. You put 3 adult people in the back and its about the same weight. I use to haul the same exact stuff in my stock 1997 subaru wagon with no problems with bottoming! I had to retire the old girl, so I gave it to my niece. I bought the X because it is actually built on a truck frame and figured it would haul it no problem. So upgrading to a larger vehicle is out of the question. Gotta find a fix for this one. Any info on airbags?

#430074 - 21/04/08 09:27 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Gen 2 pretty much all seem to have a problem with the rear leafs, some sooner than others. I thought mine was fine until I put 4 people in it then it would start to bottom out hard. Carried 20 bags of lead shot (500 lbs.) last summer when I got the X (07 OR) with no problems and now she bottoms out by blinking hard with a couple people in it.

A lot of people have replaced the bump stops with Timbren stops. I’m going to try the Roadmaster Active Suspension, it is sort of an overload leaf but will hopefully help limit wheel hop on washboards without hurting travel too much.

Weight capacity is a bit over 1,000 lbs. but you are hitting the rear with a lot of weight in one spot. I've distributed the bags of lead shot around and it really doesn't seem to help though.

#430075 - 21/04/08 01:53 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 06 had this issue from the day I bought it. You didn't even have to have that much weight in the back. All I needed were 2 adults in the back seat. I had AAL done to mine and that fixed this problem.

It created another problem though. From then on I had a vibration at speeds between 35 and 40 mph. Very irritating. When I took my X in for the mandatory rear differential replacement I mentioned this vibration and they said that it happens to some X's and that there was a fix that they woult order. They were axle spacers that were supposed to help line up the axle. Didn't really help. I suppose that whatever damage could be done had already occured. I still prefer the AAL and vibration to bottoming out everytime I came near a bump.

#430076 - 21/04/08 02:49 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I lifted enough vehicles over the years and eventually ran into one problem or another because of it. Or at least sometimes it was suspect. I want to try and keep the geometry of this one to blueprint. I think the RAS is a good comprise, hope so anyhow. Will be doing it in a couple weeks.
http://www.activesuspension.com/

Taco’s have the same issues and Toyota recently released a TSB and will replace what they refer to as the comfort springs if you ask. The Gen 2 X has the same exact issue but every Nissan dealer I’ve talked to so far has said I’m the only to complain.

Ridgerunner you wouldn't be a true Pa. ridge runner by chance are you? Some of the lead I load and shoot ends up back home in Tioga and Bradford counties during hunting season. Most of the lead I leave back there is on the skeet and trap fields running from Sayre to Addison, NY.

#430077 - 21/04/08 08:28 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's funny that you guys are talking about this suppension problem. I have been having this problem for some time now. I have taken in to the dealer and they acknowlege the problem but won't do anything about it. I am still under the bumper to bumper warrranty. I then took the problem directly to Nissan and they are putting it in the hands of one thier local rep. Nissan asked me, what do you want us to do? I said replace the rear leaf springs. I am starting to wonder if that will solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#430078 - 22/04/08 06:34 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

alpine4 yes new springs will fix the problem, as long as they are done correctly. Toyota admitted they used springs for comfort which were too soft. Nissan did the same thing except they don't want to do anything about it.

I just filled out a complaint at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/ and it would help if anyone else that has this issue does likewise.

Also looking for an email address at Nissan to send something to? Nissan North America Consumer Affairs has a phone number but I want an audit trail. I plan on asking them if they are considering replacing the springs with new ones like Toyota is with TSB title: REAR SPRING HARSH RIDE TSB# SU006-07 Revised or just ignore the issue.

#430079 - 22/04/08 09:33 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

You may be right about the spring issues - but Ridgerunner says he has a harsh ride when unloaded which isn't consistent with the idea that his truck might be equipped with "comfort" springs. I would think that he would have a good ride while empty with "comfort" springs or good hauling performance with the other version of the springs. In this case he has neither. I'm not saying you guys are wrong - you'd know better than I would since I've not had an issue with mine - but I still think hauling a 600 pound load centered over the rear axle (or worse - behind the axle in the cargo area) over 4-6 inch potholes without bottoming out is too much to ask of any midsize SUV.

#430080 - 24/04/08 06:23 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cold Iron, Yes I am a bonified PA Ridgerunner! Elkland, just south of Addison, NY. Let me know how the Roadmaster set up works on your X. I too am going to look into this. As I said before, an old worn out 97 Subaru with 160,000 miles and original struts handled the job fine. I'm not saying it didn't hurt the old girl some but compare the two. confused

#430081 - 24/04/08 07:35 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool My X doesn't bottom out, but I don't carry anybody in the back seats(they're out)--
--I have a small trailer and haven't had any bottoming problems, but I've added more load to it and this summer could be a little different--SO

--I'm making a change to the rear suspension, I'll let you know within two weeks--

--thatisall

-- [Geek] [Geek] --JIMBO

#430082 - 24/04/08 05:23 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

RR I used to sell my fur to the tannery in Elkland, before the big fire. Just hung up with a friend back home that is shooting at Thunder Ridge in Middlebury Center next weekend. Wish like hell I was there. Please pound on those flatlanders to allow cutting some of that big timber in Potter and Tioga, the browse should be just about perfect for grouse and deer by the time I retire again and move back home for good in a few years.

I haven’t heard back from Nissan Customer Care, guess no suprise there. Talked to Roadmaster yesterday and he said for most off roading use they are fine. However for rock climbing they would be a hindrance. Even in Co. elk hunting I usually try to take the easiest line but am trying to evaluate how much it will hurt me if I go with the RAS. For 99% of the people I think the RAS is perfect though. Not sure what I'm going to do but will do something in the next week or 2 at the most.

Several people have tried stiffer shocks and they help for awhile but eventually you bottom again. I have the OR with Bils and think that helps or has till now. YellowSCX brings up a good point but with just the dog and me it is tight and stiff. Even a few months ago with 500 lbs. sitting in the back it was fine. Now throw in 3 or 4 people and $40k worth of target shotguns wearing EELL to exhibition grade wood and on I-90 your teeth chatter and the guns bang around. Which goes over like a turd in the punch bowl. I need to do something ASAP.

Jimbo I'm going to throw a hit alpha at you on the other BBS to see what your up to if you don't mind. PM incoming.

#430083 - 24/04/08 09:43 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

My '06 OR bottomed out since day one. With a load, without a load, it would bottom out way too easily. I had a spring shop add two full-size leafs to each spring pack. My X hasn't bottomed out since. If you routinely carry extra weight and/or tow, I suggest beefing up your rear spring pack.

#430084 - 25/04/08 09:23 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cold Iron, Lots of timber being cut around here! Prices are still good for cherry and maple. Ya, I remember the big tannery fire, had to vacate the house for a while for fear of being torched. Gotta do something about the bottoming problem on the X. For those who are trying different things, don't forget to test the "fix" and report back here ASAP. Thanks guys for all the info, been very helpful!

#430085 - 29/04/08 11:30 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm having the same problem with my 2007 OR X.

I know I'm putting some extra weight in the back, about 400lbs, but I do have to transport this and can't afford to have another vehicle.

So, I ended up calling the RAS people and I have a set on the way. According to them, it should increase the payload by 50-70%. He said it shouldn't sag with up to 50% more weight, and shouldn't bottom out with up to 70% more weight.

Plus all the other benefits they claim.

So we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

aa

#430086 - 29/04/08 06:19 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Timbren bump stops are a good solution.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=452

#430087 - 30/04/08 06:40 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

XAndy I am very interested in how the RAS turns out. Nissan Customer Care finally called me back today but don’t think it will go far. Waiting on another call back while he checks to see if they have a TSB in the works. I want something in writing from them saying it is OK to install an overload spring before I do the RAS. The RAS for the X requires pinning through the leaf pack so it isn’t a 5 minute job to remove.

The Timbren bump stops are a safer bet to not void the warranty however aren’t perfect. On unlifted vehicles a few people have complained of limited travel of the springs. A couple others talked of rebound causing the rear end to break free on the road. It would be great if Nissan would just fix it for us.

#430088 - 30/04/08 09:23 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will do. I should be able to put them on next week some time.

#430089 - 04/05/08 01:10 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool As I stated in an earlier thread, My suspension has been WITHOUT bottoming out,for almost three years and even pulling my trailer--

--For information and cost, I have tried a JC Whitney "spring Helper", installing it in the HEAVY position-took about 20 minutes--

--I loaded my X and drove over some rough roads (not off-road) and these additions gave me a tighter more controlled ride, I'm not recommending them for YOU, but when installed correctly on my X, they're DYN-O-MITE !!!

--
Quote:
--Now my suspension is stock and they have 10 1/4 inch ground clearance-the Diff is at about 9 1/2 inch, so if it does interfere off-road, it'll be a slide over interference !!

--They're JC Whitney pt#ZX875964Y $35.99

-- [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] ---JIMBO

#430090 - 06/05/08 02:05 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dang, that does look like it would be a good solution, and cheaper, too. I wish I'd had seen that.

I already have the RAS, though, so I'll try those anyway.

I won't be able to put them on until Friday, though.

andy

#430091 - 06/05/08 10:37 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good News I finally received a call from Nissan, and they agreed to replace my rear leaf springs. It may or may not help with my rear end bottoming out, but I can only hope.

You guys have some good idea's on how to fix the problem using after market parts. If this doesn't work I will need some advice on what to do get next.

#430092 - 07/05/08 07:37 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

You did good alpine4 after 2 weeks on the phone with Nissan Customer Care (oxymoron) supposedly I am only the second person to ever complain about the leaf springs on a second gen X. What a crock. So what was your secret?

Not so sure that new springs from Nissan would help, too many people have the problem. I told them that I didn’t want to do a suspension mod on my own because I was worried about voiding my warranty. And with the diffs blowing be caught footing the repair bill and they said they understand. Damn I would have felt better if they admitted the springs were bad and lied about the diffs instead of the other way around.

#430093 - 07/05/08 08:57 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Coldiron
I have no secret, I just stated I have a off road vehicle that bottoms out when I have passangers. That's not right, we bought the Xterra for a reason to use it.

I am not sure if new leaf springs will fix the problem but I will give it a try. I only have a few thousand miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty, so why not take advantage of it. I will let everyone know what happens.

#430094 - 13/05/08 11:23 AM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally got the RAS installed on Saturday. But first a side note about dealing with Nissan.

I thought I would go ahead and call them to see if, first, there were any warranty problems with putting this on, and second to see if they might do something about it.

They took the X for a drive, but said they didn't see a problem. But said they didn't have a few hundred lbs to put in the back.(by the way, according to the sticker on the door, this X has a payload of 930lbs).
So they would not do anything about it, and even if they did, they could only put OEM springs on it anyway.

On the warranty issue, they said that technically, it could void my warranty on the suspension. However, and this is not in writing, but... the Service Manager said it shouldn't be a problem and he knows of others putting similar devices on their X without problems or voiding the warranty.

So back to the RAS. I did have one problem that RAS says doesn't happen often. With the bracket installed with the leaf spring, the u-bolts were then too short to reattach. So I had to go find longer u-bolts, which was a pain on a saturday.

But I finally got everything put back together, which only took about 2 hours of actual work time (not counting the search for u-bolts), and the vehicle does ride very nicely. I put about 450 lbs in the back and it rides much better and is more solid in the back.

As for the other claims for the RAS I can't say yet, but it did increase my payload dramatically.

So that's the story so far.

Andy

#430095 - 15/05/08 06:24 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have now have brand new leaf springs from Nissan. They seem a little stiffer then the old one's, I hope so! Haven't hand time to really test them, but I will know tomorrow.

alpine4

#430096 - 06/07/08 01:49 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2007 Xterra manual transmission and my vehicle does the same thing with people in the back seat.

It makes a thud / thunk noise over some dips or over some speed bumps.

The dealer says it's "the design" and they recreated the issue with both a new 2008 and my 2007. Seems like a poor design to me considering the Xterra is supposed to be rated to hold over 1000lbs including cargo.

This is a safety issue to me. The first time I heard the noise I thought I hit something in the road.

#430097 - 06/07/08 07:41 PM Re: Rear End Bottoming
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the sound that your hearing is the rear end bottoming out. I finaly got Nissan to replace my rear leaf springs and that has seemed to help.
The only way I got anything done was going through Nissan directly. Getting started through your delar ship is a waste of time. Call Nissan!! It is a safty issue!

Best of Luck

alpine4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal