2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42993 - 29/07/03 10:47 AM Modify the CV's ?
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Yeah, probably not, but who knows?
Anyone know if something like THIS is feasible for our IFS axle CV's?
The modification in the link is for a front driveshaft CV, but I've also seen a company on the internet that will take Toy CV axles & do a similar modification (for a small fee of course)....

#42994 - 29/07/03 11:02 AM Re: Modify the CV's ?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
We don't have any CV joints like that on the Xterra, so it wouldn't be worth the effort laugh

#42995 - 29/07/03 01:43 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
What about porshe CV's on the X? Anyone looked at them? I figured it would work...anyone Bueler...bueler.
John

#42996 - 29/07/03 04:20 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah I recall reading about somebody adapting Porsche CV's joints for use on Nissan trucks and was wondering if anybody has more specifics like which model(s) where used?

Seems that 914, 924, 930, and 944 cv joints bare can be had for ~ $60 each from shops that build sand rails/buggies and they yield a nice amount of travel on they seem to be really tough/durable on those buggies. I'm sure some custom Nissan to Porsche axles stub's will have to be machined but seems like its worth costing out or I'm I missing something else.

#42997 - 29/07/03 04:49 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
XOC Offline
Admin

If you're going to start putting Porsche axles (959 axles are the flexy ones, about $1000 each) under an Xterra, you might as well spend the money on a solid axle swap.

Tweak the IFS all you want, but it will never offer the benefits of solid.

#42998 - 29/07/03 05:50 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Probably all in this discussion recognize this...however, cost of a SAS right now isn't just measured in $$$ but in time & effort to locate parts, find a fabricator, etc.... At any rate, it is also simply fun & interesting to think of ways to maximize IFS travel (e.g. I had a crazy idea of a front diff mount that allows the diff to pivot about center axis (an axis parallel to driveshaft) thus helping to maintain reasonable CV angles at extremes of wheel travel).

Anyways, yeah the Porsche stuff seems like much $$$$; check out THIS link (again, for Toyotas).

#42999 - 29/07/03 07:02 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
If you're going to start putting Porsche axles (959 axles are the flexy ones, about $1000 each) under an Xterra, you might as well spend the money on a solid axle swap.

That's the only thing about it I wasn't sure of(well..I'm sure there is a lot more). I had no clue they cost that much. There are some well designed IFS systems out there, but yep, bang for the buck would be into a thought out SAS. Oh well.
John

#43000 - 29/07/03 07:33 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
At any rate, it is also simply fun & interesting to think of ways to maximize IFS travel (e.g. I had a crazy idea of a front diff mount that allows the diff to pivot about center axis (an axis parallel to driveshaft) thus helping to maintain reasonable CV angles at extremes of wheel travel).
Unless one wheel was stuffed, and one at full extension, which way would your diff pivot ?

The best solution for more wheel travel is longer upper and lower a-arms. The longer they are, the more travel at the wheel.

The axle shafts could then be extended with a simple spacer between the tripod joint end and the diff.

#43001 - 01/08/03 04:09 AM Re: Modify the CV's ?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
The best solution for more wheel travel is longer upper and lower a-arms. The longer they are, the more travel at the wheel.

The axle shafts could then be extended with a simple spacer between the tripod joint end and the diff.
Kind of like specilized Baja Race trucks, I wish I had a picture but the A-arms go right to the middle and almost touch. Solves the sterring problem too becasue you eliminate the center link, just one big sterring gear in the middle connected to two tierods.

I kind of wondered what it would be like if you could add a hydralic system to and IFS that would push one wheel down when the other gets pushed up. Kind of like a shock that is connected to the shock on the other side.

Xterra101.com

#43002 - 05/08/03 08:44 AM Re: Modify the CV's ?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
I see what you're saying, but is that really the right thing to do? You're messing with the geometry that way, moving the inner CV joint (further) inside the control arm space. Might not be a problem, but seems odd. Also, I'm not quite sure how this would affect the operating angles of the joints, but I think it would actually increase the angle it has to travel through.

?
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#43003 - 05/08/03 11:54 AM Re: Modify the CV's ?
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:

I kind of wondered what it would be like if you could add a hydralic system to and IFS that would push one wheel down when the other gets pushed up. Kind of like a shock that is connected to the shock on the other side.
I found a link for a 4Runner where they did just this with compressed air shocks.
CHECK IT OUT
There is a link in the beginning of the article for a similar setup for the 4Runner's rear solid axle.

I'm considering this if I can find the available shock lengths & if something matches up (or if minor shock mount construction is required I still may consider it). I already have a fairly robust air system.

#43004 - 05/08/03 12:35 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah, Marty (Xterror) from NCCX has already done this mod I recall. He was running front/rear air shocks at GONE that offer height adjustability.

#43005 - 05/08/03 08:30 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Wasn't spencer trying to sell this from fly-n-hi?

The only thing is I don't see axle shafts? confused

#43006 - 05/08/03 08:34 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Then again, I take that back. The bumper that never was...

#43007 - 05/08/03 09:25 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Yeah, Marty (Xterror) from NCCX has already done this mod I recall. He was running front/rear air shocks at GONE that offer height adjustability.
No kidding?
Did he do any kind of writeup that you know of?
Or at least mention the shock manufacturer & P/N's anywhere?

#43008 - 05/08/03 10:09 PM Re: Modify the CV's ?
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
XOC is right. The two years before I stopped racing R/C offroad cars that was the greatest think going for handling. Long suspension arm and narrow bulkheads = distance between pivot points. The cars could be sprung lighter and lighter weight oil in the shocks. Mainly because of wheel travel at the wheels. Look at Baja 500 trucks and you have a good idea. Now, if I could only get someone to weld that up on my X!!! [Spit]

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal