2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431006 - 06/10/05 10:03 AM The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ITs getting close for me to replace my sterring system before goneMoab. Im considering SLR' and TC steering system. The heim joints on the TC system appear to be pretty solid, Im just not sure if they are legal in my state. Where can I look to check them out as far as what states are ok with them and not ok.

EditorX are you still running your TC set up and if so how is it holding up?

#431007 - 06/10/05 10:09 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why wouldn't heim joints be legal? they're strong as hell and less like likely to fail if properly maintained. Didn't know they were illegal in any state. confused

#431008 - 06/10/05 10:14 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:

I am not sure that TC has introduced a stock length kit yet. The one that Ed uses has to be longer to compensate for the wider track width.

My SLR steering has been modified with a longer gusseted center link and longer tire rods for the same reason.

#431009 - 06/10/05 10:16 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, to be honest Im not sure if they are either. I read on another Nissan site that they were varying from state to state. I have not read any litature proving/dissproving the statement. I was being lazy and rather than searching I just threw the question out here on the XOC. smile

#431010 - 06/10/05 10:17 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Quote:
[b]
I am not sure that TC has introduced a stock length kit yet. The one that Ed uses has to be longer to compensate for the wider track width.

My SLR steering has been modified with a longer gusseted center link and longer tire rods for the same reason.[/b]
I thought the same thing so I called and spoke with them, they said they could make the proper adjustments for an OEM/3'' SL.

#431011 - 07/10/05 08:36 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
ITs getting close for me to replace my sterring system before goneMoab. Im considering SLR' and TC steering system. The heim joints on the TC system appear to be pretty solid, Im just not sure if they are legal in my state. Where can I look to check them out as far as what states are ok with them and not ok.

I've got about 1000 offroad miles on the kit now and it's still as good as new. Nice on the highway, real resposive in the dirt. I've tried to break it several times at the request of TC...no dice. It's been jumped, whooped, crawled and flat out hauled on. I made several passes on a set of whoops a few weeks ago that would have shredded the OEM stuff. Think 14-16 inch whoops spaced about 5 feet apart and then run them at 75-80 for 200 yards. Long travel rocks!!! Anyway, the heims are bullet proof and really allow the tie rods to move and keep up with the suspension. I spray mine down after runs to keep them clean, but that's the only thing that I do to them. Same with the uniball on the pitman arm. The guts of the Idler are sealed, so no issues there. As far as being legal, the only state that I know about with issues is Utah. I think that Texas is fine.

TC's been busy with their Titan kit, but I know that they are making the stock length rods for the standard 3" lift guys. All chromoly, all the time. Can't really beat it for strength. If you want me to shoot you a couple of pics let me know and I put them in this thread.

#431012 - 07/10/05 08:40 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

RE: Utah.

The heims are just not legal on the roads of course. Trucks registered in another state should be ok though.

#431013 - 07/10/05 09:32 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Ed, I have been waiting for your 2 cents. Pics would be great. Thanks again. smile

#431014 - 07/10/05 10:44 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks Ed, I have been waiting for your 2 cents. Pics would be great. Thanks again. smile
I'll shoot some this weekend and get them up for you.

#431015 - 07/10/05 07:08 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PANissanX:
Why wouldn't heim joints be legal? they're strong as hell and less like likely to fail if properly maintained. Didn't know they were illegal in any state. confused
Technically speaking, they are illegal in all 50 states. They are not DOT approved for use, therefore they're automatically illegal in all 50 states.

All vehicles must comply to Federal standards (aka, DOT Approval) on EVERY part on the vehicle. States are allowed to make their own standards more strict, but at a minimum, everything must be DOT approved. Heims are specifically outlawed by the US DOT for use in steering components, but unfortunately, the statutes aren't available online.

But... That's why the steering upgrades are for "offroad use" only. If you use it on the street, that's your choice; it's not the company's fault.

Think of it this way. None of the lift kits for Nissans are DOT approved... So technically, none of them are legal, either. Does that mean there's a problem w/ running them? Nah.

#431016 - 11/10/05 08:21 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pics coming tonight. I got busy with work.

#431017 - 11/10/05 07:38 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No woories Ed, whenever you get to it. smile

#431018 - 12/10/05 09:10 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK here are the pics. All the materials are 4130 chromolly.

Pitman arm side. Double shear centerlink, big-ass pitman and heim joints with 3/4 uniball pitman to CL connection.

Alternate view.

Idler arm side. Double shear centerlink and fully redesigned Idler with double stacked and sealed roller bearings with chromolly internals.

Alternate view showing more of the tie rods and heims. It shows good detail of the misalignment spacers that close the box on the centerlink too. The same type of heim joints also connect to the spindle on the wheel side.

Normally all of this is a lot cleaner, but I took a short cut home last week and have not washed up yet. The greasy looking marks are from the teflon based lube I use on the heims and uniballs...not the they really need it, but it doesn't hurt. wink

#431019 - 14/10/05 03:37 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn nice, Ed. I was reading in my Petersen's 4-wheel & off-road, they have a good write up on steering and they mentioned Hiems and said they were great but tend to wear quickly.

Im not sure if that varys on the type of material used or what. From what you are telling me and what I can see yours seem to be holding up well.

#431020 - 15/10/05 07:27 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Damn nice, Ed. I was reading in my Petersen's 4-wheel & off-road, they have a good write up on steering and they mentioned Hiems and said they were great but tend to wear quickly.

Im not sure if that varys on the type of material used or what. From what you are telling me and what I can see yours seem to be holding up well.
The trick with heims is keeping them clean. The ball joints on most TRE have a rubber boot that keeps crap out of them...duh. They are also greased which tends to trap dirt and such so the boot is a good idea. The heims are open...duh again. Since there is no grease though, the majority of the dirt just slides off. The teflon liner is what keeps the heims smooth. I just spray mine after I wash them off for that added bit longevity. Will they wear faster than ball joints? Probably. Can I just replace them if need be down the line. You bet. It's a trade off. But like you said, mine are holding up very well...and I beat the hell out of them.

EDIT TO ADD:

I read that article too. Even after their point about possible wear I don't regret moving to heims. The article even said if you can live with the possibillity of replacing a heim the strenghth they offer are worth it.

#431021 - 18/10/05 01:42 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just an FYI. Another guy in SCCX just ordered the TC steering to go with his standard 3" lift. They are ready to go.

#431022 - 18/10/05 02:11 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
MaloCS Offline

What does TC stand for?

#431023 - 18/10/05 02:19 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
What does TC stand for?
Total Chaos smile

#431024 - 14/11/05 09:12 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

T.C. steering on a 3" lift 2003 X

#431025 - 14/11/05 09:14 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

T.C. steering from the right side

#431026 - 14/11/05 09:16 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Comparison of stock to T.C.'s steering

#431027 - 18/11/05 10:58 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The weak link is on the knuckle end. No shear mount - that's a lot of lateral force on that bolt. I had the AC prototype a few years back and destroyed a heim on the knuckle end that almost sent me careening into a tree doing about 30mph down a sand wash. That knuckle end is what scares me about the TC setup. Upgrade and used the best bolts you can find there.....to me, grade 8 isn't enough.

All that said, I saw my first TC steering setup on a trail ride last weekend and it seems to work well. I do like the fat tierods...no more snapping center adjusters.

#431028 - 21/11/05 08:27 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For what it's worth, I was under my X doing a quick check and re-tourque on the suspension and steering. Everything is still in good shape. TC's been running this design on their rigs for over 5 years with no problems even in the Baja 1000s and 500s. Trust me though, if I break anything, you guys will be the first to know.

#431029 - 21/11/05 08:40 AM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apos, did you just rattle can your set up?

Desert Rat was the AC set up The same as TC and how long have then been running/designing that type of set up?

Just curious.

#431030 - 21/11/05 12:50 PM Re: The legality of Heim jonts in steering system?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That AC setup was an experiment nearly 4 years ago. They didn't end up producing it. But my point was that it also used heims - 3/4" heims, I believe, and I had one disintegrate after a week of hard use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal