2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431340 - 29/08/07 02:51 PM Worth it or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since I've installed my shrock and winch my frontend has sagged some. I have cranked the torsions once already and wondering if it would be worth it to move upto the 3in SL (I have just a PML and 2in BL now)

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop...25e109260bf5898

Thoughts? Suggestions? The other alternative is new HD torsion bars but even with the new bars I dont want to crank the crap out of them.

Thanks

#431341 - 29/08/07 03:01 PM Re: Worth it or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My vote: reindex the torsion bars and crank them again. Use the extra time that'd give you and get both the SL and heavier t-bars.

#431342 - 29/08/07 11:12 PM Re: Worth it or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm re-index them? I would not IMHO. I would crank them again.

First off have you ever re-indexed them? If not, then doing a PML doesn't ever require re-indexing unless the stock spline position has been messed with.

If you crank them back up to the original position when you finished the PML, and it sags back down, it is time for new T-bars. Maybe some new shocks are in order too.

P.S.-If I were going to go with another 3" SL, then I would go with SLR

#431343 - 30/08/07 04:24 AM Re: Worth it or not?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Well, re-indexing is done if the bar can't be cranked more...that's pretty much its only function.

If cranked, and sagged, it can be cranked again...and, if out of adjustment room/can't be cranked enough...then, re-indexed, and cranked some more, etc.

If the bars are sagging regularly....all of that adjusting is a temporary solution, and better bars are in order.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#431344 - 30/08/07 04:54 PM Re: Worth it or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info,

I've been PML'd for over 2 years, I've never reindexed the bars and yes the adjusters are at the limit. I guess I will try the reindex over the weekend and see how it does.

I probably wont go with the extra lift it seems like alot of money for another 1.5 inches....lift we are talking about smile

Are there any pros or cons with the different torsion bars on the market other than cost?

Thanks again

#431345 - 30/08/07 06:05 PM Re: Worth it or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the SLR Stage version UCAs up front and the sway away torsion bars. What it's allowed me to do is to crank the front up to 39 1/2" (ground to fender, centered through the wheel) and get an alignment that's pretty close to 100%. In fact, I just had an alignment done and I'm closer to perfect than I've been in many, many years.

I can crank the torsion bars a bit more and may do so after the next run, depending on how my current clearance feels while off road.

So, what does the extra money buy you? Well, you can lift the front a bit more and have the ability to get an alignment, which would be a challenge with the stock UCAs. Besides, it's not just an inch and a half. Without trying too hard, I gained about 7" - 9" up front, with the ability to go a little higher if I want to rest on the bumpstops. So, now, I can easily run 33s without any significant rubbing and that will help my approach angle, clearance and trail selection.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal