2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431991 - 06/08/02 02:51 PM CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

Loc: OH
Does this kit lift the body 1.5"? I was told that only the rear gets lifted as opposed to the entire body...is this true?

What do you all think of this product???

#431992 - 06/08/02 03:08 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
They replace the stock shackles connecting the rear leaf springs to the frame, so they will only raise the rear of the truck. Most people crank up the torsion bars in front 1-1.5" to even things out.

#431993 - 06/08/02 04:02 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

Thanks for the info-

Is there any other effect besides the "lift" by raising the torsion bar in the front - wont this make for a stiffer (bumpier) ride??

thanks again

#431994 - 06/08/02 06:16 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by Elm V:
...wont this make for a stiffer (bumpier) ride??
Somewhat. When your raise the torsion bars you're increasing the preload on what is basically a spring. The more preload the more force is required to get more deflection from the spring. 1-1.5 inches shouldn't make it that rough. Also new shocks can improve the ride quality. Bilsteins are the shock most of the people here upgrade to. The other issue is that you should get an alignment done. As the torsion bars are raised, you change the camber and toe-out of the tires. An alignment would correct this back to factory specs.

#431995 - 07/08/02 08:00 AM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I would add that I would avoid the 2" shackles from SLR. I had these, and promptly ripped them out to install 1" shackles and a triple-spring AALs (also SLR). The 2" shackles, IMO - flatten the spring pack way too much, and with the stock load leaf in place, you'll be hopping over speed bumps and potholes - let alone off-road. No good.

1.5" would be about the max I'd use... And I'd still consider ditching the load leaf and replacing it with AALs or Tokico's composite load leaf.

#431996 - 07/08/02 08:09 AM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:

Is there any other effect besides the "lift" by raising the torsion bar in the front
Elm V,
When you adjust the torsion bars, you increase the tie-rod angles. The tie-rods will start pushing upward on your centerlink. This will cause premature wear on your centerlink. It might not wear as fast as someone with a 3" lift but once you change the angles, the CL will start wearing much more quickly. This is a very comon problem for people with lifted trucks. Clamini and SLR have fixes for this problem.

#431997 - 07/08/02 02:02 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
Devin Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
i think that nobody has pointed out the reduced front end articulation when cranking the torsion bars. no big deal unless you DON'T like riding on three wheels sometimes when wheeling.

#431998 - 07/08/02 03:10 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Devin:
i think that nobody has pointed out the reduced front end articulation when cranking the torsion bars. no big deal unless you DON'T like riding on three wheels sometimes when wheeling.
Disconnect the sway bar. Even when the torsion bars are adjusted up, you can still get full travel.

#431999 - 07/08/02 03:44 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I highly recommend AAL's first (SLR's bes, IMO) and then shackles if you still want more lift. The AAL's will improve your ride and give you better suspension flex while the shackles make the ride worse by flattening out your spring pack more than it already is (And nissan gave us flat ass springs!).

So, AAL's first, then shackles. Trust me! laugh

#432000 - 08/08/02 02:45 AM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
Devin Offline

Loc: Arvada, CO
ian,
after searching on front sways, i learned a lot more about the subject. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#432001 - 08/08/02 03:22 AM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
while the shackles make the ride worse by flattening out your spring pack more than it already is
That's a myth.

A spring has no idea what is holding it up at either end.

#432002 - 08/08/02 09:10 AM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
[b]while the shackles make the ride worse by flattening out your spring pack more than it already is
That's a myth.

A spring has no idea what is holding it up at either end.[/b]
That would be wrong, Ian.

The flatter the spring pack, the less "spring" you have in those leaves - which in turn makes you bottom out on the load leaf that much sooner. This causes a harsh, bouncy ride over things as little as speed bumps.

Since removing the 2" shackles and going to 1" shackles - and also swapping out the load leaf for triple-spring AALs (all SLR), the ride is MUCH smoother, and I have a nice, serious arch in the leaves.

#432003 - 08/08/02 04:01 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

So let me get this straight

Get an AAL with 1" shackles is a good way to go?
Next question, where can I get them at a good packaged price?

Do you have part numbers???
Thanks guys

#432004 - 08/08/02 04:03 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Get an AAL with 1" shackles is a good way to go?
Next question, where can I get them at a good packaged price?
Not really. The back of the truck will be lifted 3 inches, while the front can only be lifted about 1" over stock without new upper control arms.

Your best bet is to always buy a complete kit.

#432005 - 08/08/02 04:03 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

And what size tires will this lift accomodate?

#432006 - 08/08/02 04:05 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
That would be wrong, Ian.

The flatter the spring pack, the less "spring" you have in those leaves - which in turn makes you bottom out on the load leaf that much sooner. This causes a harsh, bouncy ride over things as little as speed bumps.
You are incorrect. The spring is not made flatter with the shackle. The spring is still the same spring is was before installing them, the truck merely sits higher.
If the pack was made flatter, then there wouldn't be any height gain.

Don't believe all the myths.

#432007 - 08/08/02 04:08 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

All I really want to lift the truck a bit without spending too much and without much modifications...all I want is to get slightly bigger tires.

#432008 - 08/08/02 04:16 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
It has been proven that you can run up to a 32" tire with no lift at all, though most people opt for the 31's.

That being said, the cheapest and most simple lift that you can do is to get 2" shackles and longer shocks for the rear and then crank the front t-bars up about 1 1/4".

With or without the lift, you will have to trim the back edge of your front mud flaps.

BTW I noticed that you have a 2001 SE, if you have the originals rims, I would get a tire in the 265/75/R16 size.

#432009 - 08/08/02 04:36 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

IT already has 225/65/R16 TOYO Tires....didnt know the stock rims could fit the 225/75/R16

#432010 - 08/08/02 04:43 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

I a lot to learn....
So what size tires will the stock rims fit??

#432011 - 08/08/02 04:50 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
I a lot to learn....
So what size tires will the stock rims fit??
There are 2 types of "fit". Diameter-wise, anything will fit the rim, but may not fit the truck. Width-wise, you shouldn't go over an 11.5" wide tire on a 7" wide rim.

#432012 - 08/08/02 04:54 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
X - FACTOR Offline

forgive the ignorance...

Can you give me the range then on specs...IE

255/65/R16 , 265/75/R16, etc...

#432013 - 08/08/02 05:07 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
You are incorrect. The spring is not made flatter with the shackle. The spring is still the same spring is was before installing them, the truck merely sits higher.
If the pack was made flatter, then there wouldn't be any height gain.
I think we're both kinda right, really. I agree, the springs are the same, essentially. However, with the shackles, the rear end of the leafpack is definitely "pushed down" more over stock, which basically "flattens out" the springpack a touch. EDIT: But I hear what you're saying about there not being any lift if they were flattened out. It's a little of both going on somehow. I no longer have 'em on, so I can't really make any measurements. The reason why, IMO - is because not only are the shackles "higher" they're also in effect "longer" which moves the rear eyelet further back from stock. This serves to lessen the arch, IMO.

Put a stock X and one with the 2" shackles next to each other, and you can clearly see the difference in the arch of the springpacks. I have photos of all this stuff, but I don't think of the stock attitude... I definitely have shots of the 2" shackle alone and the 1" shackle w/AALs. Someone else could probably provide a stock photo.

The problem is mostly the load leaf. The X bottoms out on it too easily in general, IMO. The way the X is now, all bumps are just soaked up nicely, rather than the rear hopping, as it did before.

#432014 - 08/08/02 05:33 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
The reason why, IMO - is because not only are the shackles "higher" they're also in effect "longer" which moves the rear eyelet further back from stock. This serves to lessen the arch, IMO.
Yes, good point. If the shackle is too long, this can happen, but the shackle should rotate downward to keep the eye-to-eye distance of the spring the same.

#432015 - 08/08/02 05:47 PM Re: CALMINI Heavy Duty Shackles Question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Yes, good point. If the shackle is too long, this can happen, but the shackle should rotate downward to keep the eye-to-eye distance of the spring the same.
It does to a point... It's free to move about.

It depends on your springpacks natural resting arch, which it will try to attain. I suppose there'd definitely be a difference between a brand new springpack and one that's sagging, for example... The new one having more arch, would pull the shackle eyelet forward - whereas the worn one would relax more and push said eyelet back. Which makes sense, as you'd also have less lift with the worn springpack. So YMMV.

EDIT: I don't think the eyelet-to-eyelet distance remains the same with the new shackles - and therein lies the rub. I wish I could measure this, as I'm kinda curious now. One could also measure the distance between an imaginary line through the eyelets to say, the bottom of the springpack/shock plate to measure the arch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal