Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432370 - 10/11/04 06:38 PM Keep the load leaf?
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
I've searched the subject and I am still looking for opinions. I've read that keeping the load leaf with an SLR AAL will decrease the amount of possible compression in the rear as well as create a harsher ride unloaded. I do tow sometimes, occasionally up to 4500 pounds, but mostly only 1500-2000. Does the load leaf only keep the stock spring pack from compressing too far; and are they not necessary with the AAL's, or are they part of the equation determining the stock suspension's payload capacity?

If I keep them do I just need longer U bolts?
If I omit them, and overload the truck, will the bump stops prevent damage to the revised spring pack?
Thanks in advance and sorry about so many questions.
Bryan

#432371 - 10/11/04 09:40 PM Re: Keep the load leaf?
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
You will need longer U-bolts if you want to retain the load leaf.

#432372 - 11/11/04 08:22 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The load leaf is only a protection leaf. Basically, it's there for when you're at full load capacity, to prevent the spring pack from going into a reverse arch.

Yes, it will reduce compression distance, as that's it's sole purpose in life. If you don't have a load heavy enough to compress the springs to their limit, the load leaf will never do anything. It will just sit there.

You should be fine without the load leaf. Towing doesn't necessary compress the springs; it's the tongue weight and ball drop that's the most important thing. So as long as you load the trailer correctly, and use the right size drop ball, then you're perfectly fine.

No worries.

#432373 - 11/11/04 08:50 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I have the SLR 3 piece aal and I had it installed both ways - with the load leaf it is a very harsh ride and they don't follow the contour of the leaf pack. I took mine out and it is great. I tow boats sometimes and have never had a problem. I do install my sway bar when I tow. I also have 20% Bilsteins which helps out quite a bit.

#432374 - 11/11/04 08:35 PM Re: Keep the load leaf?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I can't wait to get rid of that damn load leaf, it just LOVES to get snagged on stuff...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#432375 - 12/11/04 08:18 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I can't wait to get rid of that damn load leaf, it just LOVES to get snagged on stuff...
I hate to pick a fight with you just for kicks... but if you can't pick the right line and the load leaf is getting snagged on stuff... we need to get you out more. SERIOUSLY!

I left the Load Leaf on, and recommend leaving them on. We live in different worlds Brent! laugh

Happy Friday!

Editted to add - most U-bolts will accomodate either set up. I may be wrong with traditional U-bolts if you go with a huge 9 piece leaf set as seen with some kits, SLR I believe.

#432376 - 12/11/04 08:55 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Brent's defense (which is strange for me smile ), once you've flexed that load leaf enough times, the darn thing is in a reverse arch, and gets hung up on a lot of things.

I say, if you're offroading a lot w/ the load leaf, and it's NOT snagging things, then you need to offroad in the bigger rocks & harder trails!

Yeah, you should get the wheel up on the high spot. But when several high spots, followed by abrupt drops, logs, etc., then the load leaf is gonna' snag stuff.

#432377 - 12/11/04 09:14 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
fastdrmr Offline

Again, not picking fights here... but that load leaf is originally arched pointing down, and in my case is still pointing down. I have hung it up before, I have seen others hang it up aswell.

FYI - Take for example Metal Masher (4 rated) trail in Moab, ledges, several difficult spots there that have been specific load leaf catchers. Saying I ain't wheeling hard enough would be a missunderstanding on your part. Moab rocks are not small! No biggie. laugh

If you are catching the Load Leaf on trails and it is stopping you, more experience picking lines is important. Tire on rock.

#432378 - 12/11/04 09:18 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I took off the load leaf even though I carry all of my freinds and their stuff around all the time...and look, its fine!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#432379 - 12/11/04 10:00 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterradon:
If I omit them, and overload the truck, will the bump stops prevent damage to the revised spring pack?
Bryan
I have a 5x 10 trailer that I haul wood, mulch and building materials on. I have hauled enough stuff that the bump stops were very close to the axle. So I am interested in the question above also.

#432380 - 12/11/04 10:28 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
fastdrmr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I took off the load leaf even though I carry all of my freinds and their stuff around all the time...and look, its fine!
laugh
I don't doubt that you are fine. Its probably safe and should never be a problem with them off and a full load of guys. Enjoy! laugh

What I think is being lost here is that you DO NOT loose a thing by keeping them on. If you tow heavy stuff you want them on. If you don't tow, leave them on - you will not be at a loss with them "sticking" down. The one regret would be if you left them off, bought a hitch down the road and needed to tow. Putting the Load Leaf back on would be a pain, new U-bolts, take the whole thing apart (2 hours) and the whole 9 yards.

I vote to keep 'em... you decide.

#432381 - 12/11/04 11:13 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't have AAL's, leave the load leaf. They support the truck as it gets close to the bumpstops, and provide some resistance to axle wrap. After you put an AAL or 2 on, your pack is stiff enough to resist all but the worst you can do to cause axle wrap.
On another note, I have hung up on them once or twice offroad before my 3pack went in.. If you are crossing a log that is part of the trail, they are going to hit. you either leave the trail, stack rocks, or deal with it.

#432382 - 12/11/04 01:03 PM Re: Keep the load leaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You do lose nearly 1/2" of ground clearance by leaving them on....the thickness of the leaf, whatever that is. That wouldn't be an issue on a spring over axle.

I hear the point about wheel placement, but if you wheel in enough rocks, capability is still enhanced with more GC.

#432383 - 12/11/04 04:22 PM Re: Keep the load leaf?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm going spring over, and had to find some load leaves to put back in. The PO took them out, and didn't have them any more.

I like the fact that during high articulation, the spring has a little more to count on, instead of just going reverse arch due to a longer shackle. But, most of the reverse arch articulation has also been due to guys not installing the drop bump stop bracket that's provided with the lift kits that they've purchased.

Without installing the drop brackets for the bump stops, and then omitting the load leaves, you're just asking for a cracked spring.

I'd say, leave 'em in.

#432384 - 14/11/04 12:09 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
OffroadX Offline

Yeah yeah, I know how to pick lines and where everything is under my truck, but sometimes I don't have an option, and more often, I don't give a damn wink
Anyway, I'm going w/ SLR AALs and the Darlington U-bolt Skidders, the load leaf is OUTTA THERE when I do...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#432385 - 15/11/04 09:11 PM Re: Keep the load leaf?
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
Why would keeping the load leaf with an AAL make the ride "more harsh?" Don't the additional springs increase the arch and make it less likely that the spring pack will come into contact with the load leaf? I would think that the stock spring pack overloaded would be "more harsh." Someone please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
-Bryan

#432386 - 16/11/04 07:17 AM Re: Keep the load leaf?
OffroadX Offline

Doesn't make sense to me either. The load leaf doesn't affect the ride unless the main spring pack (w/ or w/o AAL on it) is compressed to the point that it is laying on it. All it does until that point is take away 1/2" or so of clearance under the axle tube.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal