2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432795 - 08/05/06 07:33 PM SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I currently own an '04 with the Calmini 3" lift. I'm going to trade up to an '06. While I'm happy with the Calmini lift and what it's done for me I'm not set on getting Calmini again. From what I've read and seen (a few limited pics) SLR offers a better lift IMO. Question is Calmini has been saying their lift will be out next week for months and according the SLR site they too have missed their production dates.

My question I guess is do you prefer the Calmini or the SLR. Being also I want to get the SLR with the KING coils and shocks as well as the bump stops, etc.

The other question being the obvious for SLR ... when will it be available? Any clue?

Thanks again!

#432796 - 09/05/06 07:13 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just call em and ask: 951-688-2025.

Then just decide how much money you want to spend. SLR is going to be much more expensive but much better IMHO.

#432797 - 11/05/06 11:13 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I called and talked with Josh over at SLR and put my deposit down on the kit. He says in a few weeks he'll be calling me with dates but it sounds like it will be about a month before it ships but I don't expect, from talking with him, it should take any longer than 6 weeks to be at my doorstep.

Josh ... if you want me to post the high quality pics of the SEMA truck on our servers let me know.

Anyway just wanted to let everyone know that from talking with these guys they know their stuff. A better experience than Calmini by far.

Pricing is $3,499 with KING but not bump stops. The bump stop option will run another $700 more. What do you guys think is it worth it ... the bump stops that is?

#432798 - 11/05/06 01:34 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by flipflop:
Well I called and talked with Josh over at SLR and put my deposit down on the kit. He says in a few weeks he'll be calling me with dates but it sounds like it will be about a month before it ships but I don't expect, from talking with him, it should take any longer than 6 weeks to be at my doorstep.

Josh ... if you want me to post the high quality pics of the SEMA truck on our servers let me know.

Anyway just wanted to let everyone know that from talking with these guys they know their stuff. A better experience than Calmini by far.

Pricing is $3,499 with KING but not bump stops. The bump stop option will run another $700 more. What do you guys think is it worth it ... the bump stops that is?
Man, this post brings back memories. The hydro bumpstops will keep from harsh bottom-outs, especially at high speeds.

#432799 - 11/05/06 03:04 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy:
Man, this post brings back memories. The hydro bumpstops will keep from harsh bottom-outs, especially at high speeds.
I bet it would considering you almost went this route. laugh

The only bottom-out I might experience at highspeeds would be pot holes. Is this kit actually capable of doing some buggy type runs?

#432800 - 11/05/06 03:55 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
I bet it would considering you almost went this route. laugh

The only bottom-out I might experience at highspeeds would be pot holes. Is this kit actually capable of doing some buggy type runs?
That depends on the wheel travel and how top heavy you feel after a 5 inch lift.

#432801 - 12/05/06 10:25 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Editor X:
That depends on the wheel travel and how top heavy you feel after a 5 inch lift.
Well I'm not planning on doing that .. .I was just wondering if it's that useful for the 4x4 trails. Thanks.

#432802 - 13/05/06 07:41 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

if your dropping 4500, why not just SAS it?

#432803 - 13/05/06 07:48 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trust me, you'll still bottom out unexpectidly while 4 wheeling trails. I've had the bottom fall out from underneath me so many times it ain't funny. Falling out isn't bad, but the sudden stop at the bottom is.

Get the bump stops. It will be worth it, for sure.

#432804 - 13/05/06 09:06 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MykeSm1th1:
if your dropping 4500, why not just SAS it?
Trust me I've had that discussion with myself several times but here's a couple of reasons why I'm not going that route:

A custom job from a shop is great but it's just that ... a custom job. It hasn't been done with other trucks and there has been no long term testing.

Another main reason is the gutting. I'm basically gutting the entire drivetrain and replacing it. Warranty is voided on many more aspects than an SLR lift.

Also I want an aggressive lift that will give me some nice performance on the trails but I don't need that much of an aggressive lift going SAS. If I did I would buy a old wrangler and pimp it out ... not a brand new 06 Xterra. At least that's me.

Anyway that's my main reason. While I hail PonyBoy for doing it ... it's just not for me.

#432805 - 13/05/06 09:09 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Trust me, you'll still bottom out unexpectidly while 4 wheeling trails. I've had the bottom fall out from underneath me so many times it ain't funny. Falling out isn't bad, but the sudden stop at the bottom is.

Get the bump stops. It will be worth it, for sure.
I was leaning toward getting them but that helps in the decision. I've bottomed out many times in my 04 Calimi lifted X so this will help in cushioning the sudden movement and help prevent rocking right? Are they easily adjustable? What I would like to do is have them just barely rest of the arm during normal "around town" driving them when off road I could tighten them a ton and remove the front sway bar. Is my reasoning right?

#432806 - 13/05/06 09:24 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Their location , or at least the most functional location is predetermined when they design the kit. I saw the kit under developent and it is very well thought out as a package. Depending on the hydro bump location they will dampen your compression and potentially, will act in controlling and limiting sway. If you can imagine turning and the bump stops controll, absorb and slow down compression on sharp turns. There really isn't a lot of adjustibility unless you carry nitrogen around with you. laugh

The bump stops you are talking about are charged with nitrogen (you can get them charged at pretty much any off-road shop pretty cheaply) and the pressure, usually 150-175lbs, determines their dampening adjustibility.

#432807 - 22/05/06 03:37 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be calling Josh tomorrow but I just spoke with someone that said their basically done. Waiting on one thing ... I think he said the cross member. I'm so anxious!

#432808 - 28/05/06 11:07 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clearly the bottoming out design flaw has to be fixed. So am I hearing that the Calimini lift has ignored this serious problem? And SLR wants 700.00 extra to fix it? It would seem fairly easy to engineer/ re-tune the rear leaf packs in doing a lift to get rid of this problem?

#432809 - 28/05/06 11:15 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
Clearly the bottoming out design flaw has to be fixed. So am I hearing that the Calimini lift has ignored this serious problem? And SLR wants 700.00 extra to fix it? It would seem fairly easy to engineer/ re-tune the rear leaf packs in doing a lift to get rid of this problem?
They were talking about front bumpstops as the SLR kit might preclude the use of a swaybar up front so the fix for more control and better compression control is the nitrogen charged bumpstops.

#432810 - 28/05/06 09:57 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunzen:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
[b]Clearly the bottoming out design flaw has to be fixed. So am I hearing that the Calimini lift has ignored this serious problem? And SLR wants 700.00 extra to fix it? It would seem fairly easy to engineer/ re-tune the rear leaf packs in doing a lift to get rid of this problem?
They were talking about front bumpstops as the SLR kit might preclude the use of a swaybar up front so the fix for more control and better compression control is the nitrogen charged bumpstops.[/b]
Sorry, got into this a little late [Freak]

#432811 - 01/06/06 08:26 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Josh just told me today that the kit should ship no later than the third week in June. He's still waiting on a few things but the kit will also ship in some custom crates as well to insure proper shipping.

laugh

#432812 - 02/06/06 10:03 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, good. Now, make that the 3rd week of JULY. laugh That is, don't be surprised if there is some delay. You seem to be the first to get this lift so patience grasshopper. [ThumbsUp]

#432813 - 02/06/06 10:15 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Josh just told me today that the kit should ship no later than the third week in June. He's still waiting on a few things but the kit will also ship in some custom crates as well to insure proper shipping.

laugh
I see another SAS 05 in the near future laugh

#432814 - 04/06/06 04:47 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by skaggs396:
Ok, good. Now, make that the 3rd week of JULY. laugh That is, don't be surprised if there is some delay. You seem to be the first to get this lift so patience grasshopper. [ThumbsUp]
I'm not all up-to-date with SLR's history but I've ready that they've missed there dates more than once. From what I've read though it's not nearly as bad as Calmini has been with their lift.

I'm cool if it ships anytime in June, even the 30th but I better not get a call that it's going to be delayed past that. Especially since Josh has been calling everyone to get the remaining balance on the lift, prior to it shipping. I don't mind paying now but only if it ships this month.

#432815 - 04/06/06 04:48 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I see another SAS 05 in the near future laugh
Probably if I don't see a tracking number this month! laugh

#432816 - 18/06/06 12:08 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

any news yet flipflop?

#432817 - 18/06/06 12:37 AM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Well the frontier board I am on there is at least one guy who has canceled... apparently he was the 1st to order way back last year and simply got sick of waiting and the delays... apparently there were 10 kits in the first run... last i heard 7 had been sold, minus the one i mentioined that is 6, so 4 left for those interested.

#432818 - 18/06/06 12:54 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

No news yet but I'll be cancelling if it doesn't ship this month. Last I heard they were doing a test install this past week. I think they got all the subframe stuff in and their welder was wondering on those. I'll be calling Josh again this week to get a firm date for shipment or my refund.

#432819 - 18/06/06 01:53 PM Re: SLR 5" Lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
No news yet but I'll be cancelling if it doesn't ship this month. Last I heard they were doing a test install this past week. I think they got all the subframe stuff in and their welder was wondering on those. I'll be calling Josh again this week to get a firm date for shipment or my refund.
What's the big rush? The SLR system will be the first available 5" anyway. Calmini's does not ship until July.

I keep sayin', patience grasshopper. Quality takes time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal