Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432879 - 28/03/02 10:33 PM Gabriel Shocks vs. Edelbrock Shocks
Xscour Offline

Loc: San Jose
I am thinking of buying a set of new shocks but I don't have a clue. I just want control and stability. (I Don't mean to sound gay) I don't like the jarring hard stiff ride I get on my stock shocks. I've heard that Edelbrock makes these shocks * The Patented IAS Valve combined with High-Pressure Gas Charging Provides the Best Ride but don't make it for the X. This guy recommended the Gabriels MaxControl which is comprable to the Edelbrocks.
Tokicos is too stiff
Ranchos is too stiff

I have a new baby boy and his head gets bounced around in the back. Please help a brotha out.

#432880 - 29/03/02 12:01 AM Re: Gabriel Shocks vs. Edelbrock Shocks
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can't get rid of the stiff ride, but the control and stability you are after will be found with bilstein shocks. Hands down, no question, they are the best I've ridden on in the Xterra. They won't take away the bumps, but they will help keep the ride more level and in better control.

I believe the Tokico shocks are low pressure, so they should actually be quite forgiving. I have not tried them though.

I did have the Rancho RSX shocks in my truck and they are not stiff at all.

You'd have to make more substantial changes in the suspension to improve the ride significantly. Solid axles, leaf springs, and torsion bars attached to a ladder frame are not ride friendly by any stretch of the imagination. Infact, considering the underpinnings, it's quite an accomplishment for Nissan to make the truck ride as good as it does. Shocks will only help control the body movement after you've hit a bump and will help your truck rebound better.

#432881 - 29/03/02 07:52 AM Re: Gabriel Shocks vs. Edelbrock Shocks
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
You forgot one thing ChuckH, BILSTIENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Get them from Spencer Low Racing!

-Rick

#432882 - 29/03/02 08:11 AM Re: Gabriel Shocks vs. Edelbrock Shocks
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
The Tokicos are anything but stiff. Are they going on a stock suspension? I don't know of anyone who has experimented with the Gabriels or Edelbrock, but everytime I have purchased OEM replacement (stock, nothing fancy replacements) shocks they have had a firmer, bouncier ride to them.

Charlie

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#432883 - 02/04/02 09:04 PM Re: Gabriel Shocks vs. Edelbrock Shocks
Xscour Offline

Loc: San Jose

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal