Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43394 - 25/02/07 09:26 PM Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Everyone,

I have a '05 4X4 with auto tranny...If I want to pull it behind a MH with all wheels down, what would I need to do? If I use a Remco kit would I still have to dolly the front wheels?

Thanks in advance. Ken

#43395 - 25/02/07 10:00 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure someone knows more about this than I do, but my idea was that it's best to dsiconnect the rear driveshaft if you are going to tow it with all of the wheels down. I'm not so sure about the front driveshaft.

#43396 - 26/02/07 05:33 AM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Read the manual for speed and distance restrictions, but I'm sure it's going to include putting the Tcase in Neutral.

#43397 - 26/02/07 03:52 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by XterraAdam:
Read the manual for speed and distance restrictions, but I'm sure it's going to include putting the Tcase in Neutral.
You aren't supposed to do it with the gen 1 (even with the tcase in neutral).. dunno about your gen 2 though. It'll definitely be mentioned in the owner's manual tho

#43398 - 28/02/07 06:44 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In 04 I bought a 36' MH and towed a Jeep. My 00 Nissan P/Up I had at the time wasn't towable. Even Remco didn't make a disconnectable driveshaft for it.

IIRC, I don't think the Xterra is listed as towable either. Check on the Remco website to see if they either sell a driveshaft disconnect kit, or an auxillary transmission oil pump.

All else fails, you can always use a drive on trailer. The upside of this is you'll have the ability to back up, something not possible when towing 4 down.

Was camping the weekend before last, saw a big Monaco MH towing an H2 (HEAVY).

#43399 - 02/03/07 04:40 AM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.campingworld.com/tLibrary/output.cfm?ID=749773

They list the Xterra 4wd as being flat tow capable.

Also, I remember something in my manual about flat towing, and it wasn't not to do it. I'll go look and see what it says.

#43400 - 02/03/07 04:08 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was told by 2 different Nissan dealers the only way to flat tow an X (1st gen) was to remove the rear driveshaft which is a major PITA, atleast it was for me. Something to do with the tranny internals, been a few years so i can't remember exactly.

#43401 - 03/03/07 08:05 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

why in the hell wouldn't you find a trailer if you were going to tow a car. Honestly...i think it's absurd how people driving motorhomes tow their lexus suv's behind them and clock up all those miles for nothing. Even if i paid 30k on a car (regardless of what kind) i would find a decent car trailer and tow it with all four wheels off the ground. It takes 100% of the mileage off of the car itself and just seems to be a better idea than towing. Funny thing is when you see those cars for sale..."100,000 miles worth of towing on the chassis but only used for approximately 10,000 actual miles."

#43402 - 03/03/07 10:22 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kilr xterra:
...it's absurd how people driving motorhomes tow their lexus suv's behind them and clock up all those miles for nothing...
Uh...the newer vehicles with electronic speedometers don't register any additional mileage while being towed. I've towed my Scion 5k miles coming cross country, with no additional "towed" mileage added. Oh, and yes it was towed 4 wheels down laugh

Rob

#43403 - 04/03/07 01:11 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

it might not register on the odometer but you still put the tires and drivetrain, etc through the mileage

#43404 - 04/03/07 09:03 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Only covers up to the year 04, but think it probably still applies: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/1999/NTB99-020.htm

#43405 - 05/03/07 02:25 PM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
I have a 1st gen (2000). I had to get it towed by a two-wheeled Uhaul trailer. I read the owner's manual which recommended to disconnect the rear driveshaft. I did so....it was only 4 bolts to disconnect...kind of a pain since they were on sooo tight, but used my handle from my HiLift on the the wrench and got them off easily thereafter.....then I used a rachet strap to keep it from dragging or hanging on the safety loop....no problems getting it home 12 hours later.

#43406 - 06/03/07 07:43 AM Re: Xterra as a Toad....?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal