2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434787 - 05/04/07 04:18 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having helped Svendog install his SLR steering a few weeks ago, I can say that it is really very nice and the install is much easier than the Calmini. You can put it on without changing the alignment and you basically pull off the old and put on the new. It is really well made.

My only concern, although I don't know that it will ever be a problem, is the brace for the idler arm. It attaches where the stock tow hook goes. I have broken off three of those tow hooks, in heavy rock crawling and I am not sure I would want to plow that into a rock. Again, I don't know that this is true, but, I just wonder from my own experiences. laugh

#434788 - 05/04/07 07:08 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point Dagger..
I've heard that Spencer's re-doing his idler arm brace, which may provide some better results.

That said, I'm not going to worry too much for now because I know a couple of good spotters - and one of them makes some killer chicken.

#434789 - 06/04/07 06:00 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:

As a business major, business manager and holder of mucho common sense laugh ....The customer is always right. You want their business and the business of other's? Give them a good product and service to support that product.
Business Major too, I have one comment to add to this thread, and this "Steve" should have payed attention to business basics, which has been discussed already in this thread. And I for one hope that Calmini is reading this basic math lesson:

Customer + Good Experience = May not tell anyone or only up to 5 people. (If I remember correctly)

Customer + Bad Experience = Will tell 25 or more people about the experience, and those 25 will tell others. This only increases with the use of the internet.

I have no clue, as well as anyone else, what was ACTUALLY said between the two, or rather remember how I got to reading this thread, but the above is what I will take from this thread. Calmini has questionable quality service / product. Whether I purchase from them or not, they are already in the set of manufacturers that I will be hesitant to look at because I stumbled across this thread. Whether it be true or not, at the root someone was dissatisfied with their service resulting in the bad experience description. This being said, I would side with the customer on this one, because 25+ negative hits for your company name is not good. I don't care if your company is big or small, it effects you in some way. And I know for damn sure Calmini isn't a big enough company in a big enough market to not have effects from this, they just don't realize it. Just ask TacoBell how they've been doing lately. /Rant

At the end of it, a forum members question post got ruined by an off topic that we are all guilty of.

#434790 - 10/04/07 07:43 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
My only concern, although I don't know that it will ever be a problem, is the brace for the idler arm. It attaches where the stock tow hook goes. I have broken off three of those tow hooks, in heavy rock crawling and I am not sure I would want to plow that into a rock. Again, I don't know that this is true, but, I just wonder from my own experiences.
I noticed that as well when I ordered my slr system in 2003 or so.
I've been using the IA brace from 4x4parts with the SLR system and have had no issues.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#434791 - 10/04/07 06:14 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Svendog:
Good point Dagger..
I've heard that Spencer's re-doing his idler arm brace, which may provide some better results.

That said, I'm not going to worry too much for now because I know a couple of good spotters - and one of them makes some killer chicken.
Is it cannibalism when a turkey cooks chicken?? :p

#434792 - 10/04/07 07:34 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
Quote:
Originally posted by Svendog:
[b]Good point Dagger..

Is it cannibalism when a turkey cooks chicken?? :p [/b]
No, cannabalism would require the turkey to eat, not merely cook, a turkey...as cannabalism means eating your own species....and a chicken is a different kind of bird than a turkey.

Now, Dagger makes some wicked chicken, and, if I WERE a chicken, but knew how good Dagger makes it taste, I'd be very conflicted.

And perhaps a bit worried about becoming delicious myself, etc.

Oh - and the ball joints are a likely uspect as mentioned.

And my Calmini steering kit lasted about 80K so far...I did re-torque it once, last year, and I lube it religiously with Mobil1 synthetic grease...and I tend to wheel a bit aggressively, so it has had a work out....and survived.

Everyone I wheel with who had the Calmini steering though had trouble with it, and problems getting cooperation from Calmini were common....like needing to send them the part(s) first...so the truck has no steering until Calmini sends them a replacement, etc.

So either I'm a really good installer/maintainer..or I was lucky.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#434793 - 11/04/07 02:58 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
What about a Pelican eating a Pigeon? wink

#434794 - 11/04/07 03:05 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Quote:
What about a Pelican eating a Pigeon? wink
Dan that was just disturbing.. eek [LOL] [LOL]

Hey did you get my PM by the way?

#434795 - 11/04/07 03:16 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, sorry, I fell off the loop but caught up with all the reading. After all of that, I went with Calmini. Why you ask? Because I e-mailed L&P many times and nothing. I called Calmini just for fun to see if 1) they would answer, and 2) if they had the steering in stock. Turns out they answered, the guy was really nice AND the product was on my doorstep in 3 days.
I don't know what my steering problem was, everything when I took it off looked good still and was still tight. So no clue. But I installed the steering and drove it around the block, albeit needing a alignment badly now, still had the steering wheel to the left, maybe even worse now. I went to get the alignment fixed today, I had to make an appointment. So I will update you tomorrow after the alignment and maybe then it will uncover what was wrong.
What I did notice though was when I pull out of my driveway and go off the curb to the street, the steering wheel doesn't try to spin out of my hands, that was a real treat. That and every bump in the road doesn't feel like it could be my last. I am more than positive my old steering was worn and I should have upgraded a long time ago, I have just been lazy. As for Calmini, I went to school in Bakersfield so shipping was a 2 mile drive for my 3" lift. I have had nothing go bad [minus the squeaks] with my SL, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for my steering...

#434796 - 11/04/07 03:38 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did and they're being shipped this friday [ThumbsUp] .
(No warranty implied or expressed as to the condition or functionality of product wink )

#434797 - 12/04/07 07:58 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
I did and they're being shipped this friday [ThumbsUp] .
(No warranty implied or expressed as to the condition or functionality of product wink )
HAHAHA thanks man..Like I said they're just until I replace my system.. wink

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal