2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434833 - 20/09/03 11:03 AM Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried searching but didn't come up with the information I was looking for. I've done some work on autos before ( I also own an MGB and do most of the maint on it.) but I never have changed a set of shocks before. How hard is it to change the shocks on an xterra? Is it as simple as removing the rim unbolting the old shock and installing the new shock and torque to spec(I under stand the shock needs to be compressed before installing)or is their more to it?

From reading around i'm going to get a set of the bilsteins for my x but I would like to see if I could save the labor by doing it my self.
From reading around im going to get a set of the bilsteins for my x but I would like to see if I could save the labor by doing it my self.

Thanks

#434834 - 20/09/03 11:14 AM Re: Installing shocks
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You can install shocks without removing the wheels. It's a simple job, maybe 15 minutes per corner if it's your first time.

Bilsteins are tough to compress though, so eat some spinach beforehand.

#434835 - 20/09/03 03:49 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds easy enough. Just placed an order for a full set of bilsteins. Hopefully they will be here in time for the next weekend.

#434836 - 21/09/03 07:01 AM Re: Installing shocks
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
I just put a set of Bilsteins in last week. The rears were very easy, just had to unbolt the passenger side of the swaybar to get the shock out /in.

I found the fronts very difficult without removing the wheels. I spent about an hour trying to compress the shock from underneath, but couldn't due to the awkward angle and lack of leverage. I then tried to compress the shock out of position and slip it into place, but couldn't do it fast enough before it had a chance to decompress. It got dark and I gave up.

The next morning I jacked the front end up, removed the wheels and was done in under 30 minutes total for both sides. (No air tools). I felt like an idiot for not doing it that way in the first place.

#434837 - 24/09/03 09:22 AM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, now I'm really torn...Most people here say that putting in shocks isn't that difficult. While I have never put in shocks before, I'm no stranger to tools.
It seems as though few in our tiny town have ever heard of Bilsteins. Even the dealership said,
Quote:
I don't show that series of shock available for the Xterra.I suggest you check out nexterra.org/links to see what some these other guys have used to beef up the suspension.
[Huh?] ...it seems as though this man has never followed his own advice...

So I figure that leaves me with 3 options:
1. Get another brand (which probably won't save me much $$ anyways.*see below
2. Buy Bilsteins and get someone to put them in.
3. Buy Bilsteins and put the dudes in myself (cheapest alternative).

*The thing is I've received 2 quotes for shock installation, 1 is simply OUTRAGOUS!
4 Monroe Reflex installed for $420 - His per shock price is even higher than Bilsteins and his installation price is ~$160!!!!! This guy must think I'm a sucka! [Finger]
Other guy said he'd install shocks that I brought in (i.e. Bilsteins) for $120. This seems reasonable, except that I'm a poor graduate student and the shocks alone are pricey enough.

2 (or 3) Questions:
Do you really need a torque wrench? If I don't use one will it potentially break something? eek

How hard are they to put in?
And don't candy-coat it, give it to me straight.

ChrisNYC seemed to have figured out the trick! Plus, I have access to a hydralic jack. I'd feel like a fool if I paid someone $120 to lift my truck up and unscrew a few bolts.

#434838 - 24/09/03 09:38 AM Re: Installing shocks
Loop Choke Offline

Loc: Peoria,IL
I put mine in myself. I did not use a tourqe wrench. I also had no trouble compressing htem and they were 20% stiffer.

Jason

#434839 - 24/09/03 09:38 AM Re: Installing shocks
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
The rears are pretty simple and a definite do it yourselfer! I would Recomend talking the front wheels off to do your front shocks. You'll notice the the Bilstiens have a wire around them to keep them compressed in transit. So.....get the old shock out and get your bolts/hardware/bushings ready to install the new shock. Compress the Bilstien all the way down and remove the wire and quickly put it into place. What I mean is before the shock expands open all the way get it seated in its post above and get the bolt into the lower portion. It might take you several attempts. But the trick is keeping the shock compressed as long as possible so you can stick it in the top, then the bottom.

-Rick

#434840 - 24/09/03 08:45 PM Re: Installing shocks
BIBXTERRA Offline

Installation of rear shocks are easy and they shouldn't take to long at all. For the front ones, they will take a little longer as you'll have to raise the front and take off the wheels. But having done it for my friends X, it's also relatively easy.

As for torque, TORQUE to NIssans specs!!

Cheers,

smile

#434841 - 30/09/03 03:10 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wooohooooo

Got the shocks today and the rears are in and im about to tackel the fronts. Rear shocks are way easy to do. Major differnce between the stock and bilsteins. I do belive the stock shocks were shot. More to come.

#434842 - 30/09/03 09:44 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finished it up. A very simple do it yourself project. I didn't believe some of the other testimonials here on the improvement of the ride and handling that the bilsteins but they were right. Big time improvement. The ride has improved both on paved and dirt roads. My front passenger seat had a habit of shaking fairly bad when hitting bumps in the road. After installing the new shocks the seat never moved even while driving down a washboard dirt road. Well worth the 240 bucks and time invested installing them.

I do think my original shocks were shot at 32k miles. They took forever to rebound after being compressed and they were much easier to compress than the bilsteins. Also the right front shock never did rebound in the hour before it hit the dumpster.

I really need to quit viewing this site as the many ideas here are getting dangerous to the wallet

#434843 - 01/10/03 06:24 AM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

You guys are driving me crazy! I'm itching like mad to put in a set if Bilsteins!!! [Crybaby]
I think today's the day to order them! laugh
So I found that I can rent a torque wrench. How does one determine specs? And more importantly what, exactly, needs to be tightened with a darn torque wrench??? [Geek]
Can anyone confirm or deny the following post:

Quote:
Posted by rrdstarr (Member # 346) on 06-08-2003, 10:48 AM:
You should spend the $60 to $100 for a torque wrench. 30 - 37 ftlb for the rear shocks and front shock upper is torqued to 12 - 16 ft lbs and lower mount is 40 ft lbs.

#434844 - 01/10/03 07:38 AM Re: Installing shocks
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Quote:
So I found that I can rent a torque wrench. How does one determine specs? And more importantly what, exactly, needs to be tightened with a darn torque wrench???
You can definitely do the job without a torque wrench. The bolts that need to be torqued are the mounting bolts for the shocks. From what I understand from other message threads, (do a search), the torque specs for the front don't work for the Bilsteins because of the difference in the width of the shock eye metal inserts. Just be careful not to over tighten anything and pay attention how tight things were before you removed them; that should give you a ball park idea of how much torque is needed.

#434845 - 01/10/03 08:04 AM Re: Installing shocks
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
If you don't have one already, go out and get a torque wrench. You don't have to spend 200 bucks on a snap-on brand... Sears has a decent one for $60, and if that's too much get the beam type for $20.

That way, not only can you be sure you're doing things correctly... You never have to ask the question "Do I really need a torque wrench?" again. laugh

#434846 - 01/10/03 10:26 AM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ended up buying one from the local menards for 17 bucks works pretty good. Granted if I was planning to use it constantly I would buy a nice one. Basically All I had to buy for changing the shocks was Torque Wrench 17 bucks and a pair of jack stands 24 bucks. Well worth it in my opinion

#434847 - 07/10/03 07:37 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

You all were right. After looking around town I managed to find a torque wrench for ~$15 and a pair of jack stands for ~10. Also, I picked up the Hayes (Hanyes??) guide to help me figure out some of the finer details and torquing specs. But most importantly...according to my calculations (and using the UPS tracking number), I should get my Bils in tomorrow!!!! [Geek]
SWEEEEEEEET!!!! laugh

#434848 - 07/10/03 08:02 PM Re: Installing shocks
bpdA Offline

Loc: Chicago IL, Orange Co. CA, and...
Grand Forks Xterra,
What model and % stiffness of Bilsteins did you get? I've been debating this (amongst a slew of other) mod recently. Thanks!

#434849 - 08/10/03 12:46 AM Re: Installing shocks
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
It would depend on a few things. Do you have the rear sway bar unhooked? If so go with the 20 percent stiffer ones to help with body roll. Do you have an arb/tjm/calmini front bumper? Is so go 20 percent up front as well.

If not I understand that 10 percent all around is a nice medium over stock.

#434850 - 08/10/03 06:55 AM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

BL5-03 $60.00 2 Bilstein 5100 Front OE OE val
ving
BL5-06 $60.00 2 Bilstein 5100 Rear OE
http://www.spencerlowracing.com/products/bilstein_5100.htm

#434851 - 08/10/03 12:20 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Forks Xterra:
BL5-03 $60.00 2 Bilstein 5100 Front OE OE val
ving
BL5-06 $60.00 2 Bilstein 5100 Rear OE
http://www.spencerlowracing.com/products/bilstein_5100.htm
Is that $120 total or $240 total? In other words, did you pay $60 for each individual shock or $60 per pair?
Thanks

#434852 - 08/10/03 12:51 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a place in town to put on 4 Bilstein shocks for $42.00, you all might want to check around as some of your quotes seem pretty high. Also don't forget that Nissan recommends that you replace all the self-locking nuts & front bolts with new ones when you change the shocks out.

#434853 - 08/10/03 02:15 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

240 total

#434854 - 09/10/03 05:31 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Bils:
~$240 from SLR (NO ONE in town had ever heard of them!)
Everywhere I went: "Bilstein's? Heck, I'do'no 'bout 'dem foren (foreign) things, but how's about some overpriced Mon-roes?"

HO - 20% in front (I have an ARB)
OE stiff in back
Puttin' 'dem sucka's in as soon as I get the chance! laugh

#434855 - 10/10/03 06:35 AM Re: Installing shocks
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
It looks like Bilsteins are sold through AutoZone? At least that's who they have listed on there web site as a distributor.

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#434856 - 10/10/03 08:31 AM Re: Installing shocks
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
I was just talking to my Father-in-lay about helping put new shocks on my X and he was wondering if "sometimes you need a special wrench to hold the shock mounting screw while you losen the mounting bolt". So 2 questions, anyone know what this tool is called and is it needed when working on the Xterra? Thanks...

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#434857 - 10/10/03 10:52 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

on the stock front shock upper bolt you will need a good pair of pliers or channel locks to hold the shaft as you loosen the nut. When you re installing the upper front nut's you will need a 5mm allen wrench.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal