2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434858 - 14/10/03 06:39 AM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

This weekend I finally got the Bilsteins installed! I was skeptical at first, but man, what a difference! SLR did right to recommend 20% up front, OE in rear; It feels great! laugh Handling is even improved, practially eliminated the "boat-like" swaying! These Bils run very smooth! I'm practically seeking out bumps and washboard roads now! Together with the new Bridgestone Revo tires it feels like I'm driving a whole new truck!
Pretty easy to install as well. Took the better part of a morning but I was solo, taking my time, and being very meticulous. And since you can get a torque wrench for ~$10 there is no need NOT to have one.
It would be interesting to compare these to another brand. Back in the early 90's my dad put some Monroe's on our 4-runner. Talk about BONE-JARRING! [Freak] It felt like they had to have been >50% stiffer! Riders in the back would almost hit their heads on the roof! Small bumps always caused a collective "Uh,Oh!" *BUMP* "Moan".
If you are riding the fence on getting Bilsteins, I say spend the extra few $$ and DO IT! You will be happy! laugh

#434859 - 14/10/03 06:49 AM Re: Installing shocks
stosh Offline

Loc: Pine Bush NY
Quote:
Originally posted by texlepomis:
This weekend I finally got the Bilsteins installed! I was skeptical at first, but man, what a difference! SLR did right to recommend 20% up front, OE in rear; It feels great! laugh Handling is even improved, practially eliminated the "boat-like" swaying! These Bils run very smooth! I'm practically seeking out bumps and washboard roads now! Together with the new Bridgestone Revo tires it feels like I'm driving a whole new truck!
Pretty easy to install as well. Took the better part of a morning but I was solo, taking my time, and being very meticulous. And since you can get a torque wrench for ~$10 there is no need NOT to have one.
It would be interesting to compare these to another brand. Back in the early 90's my dad put some Monroe's on our 4-runner. Talk about BONE-JARRING! [Freak] It felt like they had to have been >50% stiffer! Riders in the back would almost hit their heads on the roof! Small bumps always caused a collective "Uh,Oh!" *BUMP* "Moan".
If you are riding the fence on getting Bilsteins, I say spend the extra few $$ and DO IT! You will be happy! laugh
Now I just need to wait for my end of the year bonus to come in to buy these.
I bought the factory service manual so I have all the specifics on torques and what not.
Damn... now I want the Bil's right NOW!! smile

#434860 - 25/10/03 03:47 PM Re: Installing shocks
daven8844x Offline

Just installed my Bils. Best $240 I've spent since I bought my TiVo. I got 20% stiffer front and rear and the guy at SLR said I'd have to remove my sway bar. I did to install it, but I was able to reinstall it. I don't think it will cause any trouble. Am I correct?

#434861 - 25/10/03 06:12 PM Re: Installing shocks
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
I think there were a few guys here that had the swaybar hit the shock but maybe that was something else. In anyevent since you got the 20% stiffer in the rear you do not need the swaybar at all.

#434862 - 26/10/03 08:23 AM Re: Installing shocks
roofgoat Offline

Loc: IL
EAP and bpda,

I may go with these. If you guys are interested, we could put put them on together, give each other a hand. I don't have stands, but I do have a Craftsman torque wrench. Suburbs, Chicago - I don't care.

Let me know if you are up for, I'm out of town Nov 1 - 13.

#434863 - 26/10/03 06:32 PM Re: Installing shocks
daven8844x Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hartwig:
I think there were a few guys here that had the swaybar hit the shock but maybe that was something else. In anyevent since you got the 20% stiffer in the rear you do not need the swaybar at all.
I don't see where the shock could come in contact with the swaybar. Is the swaybar different on the '02?

#434864 - 27/10/03 02:09 PM Re: Installing shocks
bpdA Offline

Loc: Chicago IL, Orange Co. CA, and...
roofgoat

Id definetely be up for lending a hand on installing these. I haven't decided to get them on mine yet but would be interested in installing them on someone else's to see how it all goes. As for times, weekends are best. Email me if this is going to happen and we can figure the details out. Late.

#434865 - 27/10/03 02:12 PM Re: Installing shocks
bpdA Offline

Oh yah,
I did just order some Alpine's all around so maybe we can extend this "install-party" to incorporate other mods people want to install and perhaps get help from those who have done it before. This idea would be a great local-XOC event. smile

#434866 - 28/10/03 08:25 AM Re: Installing shocks
roofgoat Offline

Loc: IL
Quote:
Originally posted by bpdA:
Oh yah,
I did just order some Alpine's all around so maybe we can extend this "install-party" to incorporate other mods people want to install and perhaps get help from those who have done it before. This idea would be a great local-XOC event. smile
bpda, sounds like a good idea. I'm gone until Nov 12 but anytime after if any Chicago area XOC's want to get together and do some mods, great idea. Maybe post this idea in the Midwest Forum?

#434867 - 28/10/03 08:49 AM Re: Installing shocks
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
roofgoat, post something on the MidWest Forum, I know there are a couple of other folks over there that might be able to help or would be interested in just coming out to watch and offer advice!

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#434868 - 31/10/03 04:43 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I second that motion about SLR. I ordered a week ago and never received a shipping confirmation or anything. I called this wed. and they blamed UPS. I called today and they didn't even know what I ordered. They took my number and said they would call me right back. That was an hour ago, and they are now closed. I am going to cancel as soon as I can get them back on the phone. I was going by people's experiences prior to this on ordering from SLR. I'm very disappointed that a company that is geared toward Nissans has such poor customer service. While I'm at it, I ordered a few things from Courtesy Nissan last week. It was supposed to be a 3 day delivery, yesterday being the 3rd day. UPS says they can't find it anywhere. Courtesy Nissan says too bad, we can bill you for more stuff and re ship it. Anybody have a decent, respectable company I can go to in order to purchase shocks and a steering stabalizer ? I am so pissed..........Not my week for internet orders I guess.........

#434869 - 08/11/03 09:11 AM Re: Installing shocks
bpdA Offline

See, I always thought businesses wanted to have customers but I guess that concept has eluded the SLR folks. That they would be so uninterested in fulfilling a paid order (or at least communicating whats going on)is unfortunate and I'm glad I know not to buy anything from them in the future. Hope your purchase of the second half goes smoothly.

#434870 - 11/11/03 03:31 PM Re: Installing shocks
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
Well I decided to take the high road with SLR. I felt I got the run around, and Spencer doesn't think he deserves the slamming I gave SLR on the XOC. So I figured it really isn't worth it and either way I am getting my shocks. So I have deleted all my posts in this thread concerning my dealings with SLR, and unless directly requested I will not offer my opinions or any anecdotes of my dealings with SLR.

If you want the whole story, email me...

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#434871 - 15/11/03 05:12 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ordered my shocks from SLR this week, I wanted to give them a chance after the bad posts they got this week. They were great, fast response to my questions, prompt shipping with tracking information.

Great job SLR [ThumbsUp]

#434872 - 15/11/03 06:20 PM Re: Installing shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I rebuilt a jeep cj-5 1975 in highschool all i used was one of those cargo tie down straps, you know the kind that are used for motorcycs., just put around the eyeletts of the shock compress either by hand or via rachet on your strap install and undo your strap waaaaaala done. Next question.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal