2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434955 - 02/10/01 10:08 AM Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Hmm... this doesn't sound good...

If at any time after purchase or installation, the shock malfunctions and Bilstein determines it to be defective, we will either replace it or repair it.

There are only a few specific exceptions to this warranty. They include:

1. original equipment shock absorbers - which are warrantied by the vehicle manufacturer,
2. improper installation,
3. racing, driving competition or off-road use
4. use on modified or other than Bilstein-recommended vehicles.

We'll have to see what SLR says.

#434956 - 02/10/01 11:22 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
Mike Holmes Offline

Loc: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Thats a kick in the balls to the off-roaders who wanted the stiffer shocks but passed because they wouldn't be warranteed by Bilstein since they weren't Xterra-specific.

#434957 - 02/10/01 11:30 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Yeah, damn those small companies in small garages who say the warranty is voided the minute you use the product. I'll stick to the multi million dollar companies from now on wink

#434958 - 02/10/01 01:07 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
bilstein told me the same thing. they weren't xterra specific. they would not warranty them.

#434959 - 02/10/01 01:13 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
now granted, it's obviously a flaw, but I can see some scuffs on the shock, how do you know you hadn't damaged it and that's why it broke?

it sucks, yes, but I doubt it'd have happened if it were driven on the road.

If that's the only thing that broke this weekend, you did well.

Everytime I wheel the Rover something a lot more expensive to fix breaks.

#434960 - 02/10/01 03:46 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by matt peckham:
now granted, it's obviously a flaw, but I can see some scuffs on the shock, how do you know you hadn't damaged it and that's why it broke?

it sucks, yes, but I doubt it'd have happened if it were driven on the road.

If that's the only thing that broke this weekend, you did well.

Everytime I wheel the Rover something a lot more expensive to fix breaks.

The scuffs are from the shock rubbing against the lower shock mount for 5 miles on the street after it broke.

I then shoved a 1/2" bolt under the shock eye, and pounded it into place to possible support the shock for the next 4 miles off road. I then removed the shock entirely.

The lower shock mount is also in a very protected place, so I can guarantee it did not get damaged.

I'm really good at 4 wheeling and not breaking things, so every weekend is a good weekend for me.

#434961 - 02/10/01 06:17 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
I'm really good at 4 wheeling and not breaking things, so every weekend is a good weekend for me.

I'm not gonna touch this one... Though I should. wink

#434962 - 02/10/01 06:32 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, I'll trade you all five (3 front, two rear) of my Ranchos and three Nissan shocks for your three remaining Bilstiens!

I wouldn't even think to warranty a shock if I broke one on a trail, but it still sucks that it broke. I think that's just your bill for harrassing me!

Actually, if I could break all nine of my shocks then I would have to buy new ones! smile

#434963 - 03/10/01 07:16 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
I wouldn't even think to warranty a shock if I broke one on a trail, but it still sucks that it broke.

It broke after only 6 months of moderate use.
I've never broken a Rancho or Trailmaster shock.
The front shocks are mounted where they can't contact anything and get damaged.
It looks like there was very little bead at the weld point.

Either it's too short for the lift, or it was defective (the other 3 shocks are fine).

An interesting side note is that this shock, B46-1099-H2 , is listed by Bilstein for a stock height Xterra, not lifted.

I expect shocks on this vehicle, from a manufacturer (Bilstein) that prides itself in tough off-road shock design, to last several years.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: xoc ]

#434964 - 03/10/01 07:26 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
ChuckH Offline

Quote:

It broke after only 6 months of moderate use.
I've never broken a Rancho or Trailmaster shock.
The front shocks are mounted where they can't contact anything and get damaged.
It looks like there was very little bead at the weld point.

Either it's too short for the lift, or it was defective (the other 3 shocks are fine).

I expect shocks on this vehicle, from a manufacturer (Bilstein) that prides itself in tough off-road shock design, to last several years.

I agree it shouldn't break like that unless you eally nailed something. I just wouldn't expect that any shock company would cover trail use and since it's a relatively inexpensive part it would be less hassle for me to just buy a new one. Now, as far as the Ranchos go, I wish mine would break so I could buy the Bilsteins!

Hopefully they will take care of it anyway and SLR will help you out.

#434965 - 03/10/01 07:33 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
I just wouldn't expect that any shock company would cover trail use

Why not ?

Nissan warranties the entire vehicle for on or off-road use.

Hitting a huge pothole on the street can do a lot more damage than a day of slow rock crawling.

#434966 - 03/10/01 07:47 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Once last note.

Had I blown the internals of the shock, I would have no concerns about warranty, and would simply pay to replace it.

The shock broke where a shock should not break.

#434967 - 03/10/01 04:07 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
ChuckH Offline

Quote:

Why not ?

Nissan warranties the entire vehicle for on or off-road use.

Hitting a huge pothole on the street can do a lot more damage than a day of slow rock crawling.

1) Because companies will always try and find a way to get out of paying for something and it's easier to get it out of the way up front than to try and come up with a reason for not paying later.

2) Hmmm, what they say and what they do....well, you get the point!

3) You're right about that! smile

Oh, and I do agree that it should not have broken there, but I'm still not surprised that Bilstein excludes offroad use from their warranty. Regardless, I would imagine you will deal through SLR for a replacement and I hope that they go to bat for you.

#434968 - 03/10/01 07:28 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Oh, and I do agree that it should not have broken there, but I'm still not surprised that Bilstein excludes offroad use from their warranty. Regardless, I would imagine you will deal through SLR for a replacement and I hope that they go to bat for you.

Rancho warranties their shocks for off-road use, why shouldn't Bilstein ? Hell, they have off-road race teams.

I got the replacement today from SLR. I paid for shipping overnight, otherwise they would have covered it.

I'm sending the broken one back, and they'll figure out what the warranty issue is.

#434969 - 03/10/01 11:06 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
I got the replacement today from SLR. I paid for shipping overnight, otherwise they would have covered it.

I'm sending the broken one back, and they'll figure out what the warranty issue is.
Well, IMHO I would say that you have received great service from SLR. I would have expected you to pay shipping regardless if it was sent overnite or not, so I think they have done the right thing regardless of bilsteins position. smile

#434970 - 04/10/01 01:29 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
ChuckH Offline

Quote:

Rancho warranties their shocks for off-road use, why shouldn't Bilstein ? Hell, they have off-road race teams.

I didn't know Rancho covered offroad use. I wonder if they'll cover my fillings that are falling out from driving on the freeway?

:rolleyes:

That's good SLR sent you a new one. BTW, don't you have a spare shock of some sort that you can put in on the trail? Could you even put in a factory shock for emergency use or would it be too short?

#434971 - 04/10/01 07:05 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Chuck which Rancho shocks are you running? I have RS9000's all around and they provide a pretty smooth ride with the add aleafs and stiffe torsion bars, typically I run them on 2 or 3 on the road.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#434972 - 04/10/01 10:41 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
BTW, don't you have a spare shock of some sort that you can put in on the trail? Could you even put in a factory shock for emergency use or would it be too short?

I tried the RS9000 and the stock shock, and they came up 2 inches too short with the SLR lift.

#434973 - 04/10/01 11:52 AM Re: Bilstein warranty...
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:

I tried the RS9000 and the stock shock, and they came up 2 inches too short with the SLR lift.

Ian what part number RS 9000? Mine are fine up front and if you need a 2" longer shock you are getting maybe 3"+ more travel than I am which I highly doubt.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#434974 - 04/10/01 02:20 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
Philosopher Offline

Quote:

An interesting side note is that this shock, B46-1099-H2 , is listed by Bilstein for a stock height Xterra, not lifted.

That's the same shock that a handful of us are running ... 2 of them bought from www.eshocks.com for $128 shipped. Hopefully the breakage you encountered won't become commonplace.

#434975 - 04/10/01 02:58 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
Ian what part number RS 9000? Mine are fine up front and if you need a 2" longer shock you are getting maybe 3"+ more travel than I am which I highly doubt.

The SLR kit offers 11" of front wheel travel, way more than other kits.

With the front end off the ground completely, the Rancho 9188 comes up almost 2 inches too short at full extension.

I'll post a photo tonight.

#434976 - 04/10/01 03:52 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Quote:

The SLR kit offers 11" of front wheel travel, way more than other kits.

I'll post a photo tonight.

Please do that, I'm having trouble putting this together--I run those very same shocks with my AC kit, and don't have any unused travel on them (i.e. when I jack up the truck with and without shocks, the upper bumpstops don't reach absolute compression with these shocks.) I measured my front wheel travel to be a tad over 9" btw.

Also you might want to update your review of the SLR lift kit, since you appear to have made a mistake. It says there (http://www.xterraownersclub.com/reviews/slr_lift01.html) that

"Suspension travel is increased at both ends with the SLR lift. Up front, there is just over 9" of travel... "

Which figure is correct?

#434977 - 04/10/01 04:19 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:
Which figure is correct?

SLR claims 11", the best I could measure was just over 9". It's very hard to get an accurate measurement without completely removing the torsion bars and fully compressing the front end.

The AC kit is not the same as the SLR kit, so don't expect the same wheel travel, or try to compare them. SLR's offers more travel, front and rear, and doesn't bind the CV joints.

Here's a picture of the 9188 installed...
Not 2 inches, but rather 1 inch. Still way too short, since a shock should never bottom out in either direction of travel.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: xoc ]

#434978 - 04/10/01 04:46 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
The AC kit is not the same as the SLR kit, so don't expect the same wheel travel, or try to compare them. SLR's offers more travel, front and rear, and doesn't bind the CV joints.

I don't follow your reasoning here. The AC kit (as I have it installed) uses the same shocks, the same shock mounts (lower a-arm & frame), and the same bumpstops as the SLR kit. Where is the extra travel actually coming from? I guess I just have problems picturing it--obviously in your picture the shock is a limiting factor, but yet IIRC the extended length of a B46-1099-H2 shock is 11.8", compared to a 9188's 11.625".

???

#434979 - 04/10/01 05:53 PM Re: Bilstein warranty...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:
I don't follow your reasoning here. The AC kit (as I have it installed) uses the same shocks, the same shock mounts (lower a-arm & frame), and the same bumpstops as the SLR kit. Where is the extra travel actually coming from?

The travel comes from the arm design, the AC and SLR arms are different. You're also limited because your CV joints are limiting suspension travel.

You confused me because Todd and I were talking about the Rancho shock not fitting, not the Bilstein.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal