2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44037 - 23/05/02 12:49 PM Dual Exhaust
Xterra01Red Offline

Loc: Texas A&M University
Hey has anyone had a custom dual exhaust put on their X. I was thinkin of using a flowmaster 40 series delta flow, the only thing is i dont want to remove the spare to make room for the other pipe. I thought about running it over the leaf and out the side right behind the mud flap, but i dont know if there is enough room, or if it would interfere with the leaf spring. I did see that Toy4x4Guy did exactly what I wanted to do to his taco, but i think there is more room on the taco. However I am open to suggestions. Thanks

#44038 - 23/05/02 04:58 PM Re: Dual Exhaust
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
check out stormy's ride...
if i were ever to do a dual exhaust i would do it that way...

#44039 - 23/05/02 05:10 PM Re: Dual Exhaust
Xterra01Red Offline

Loc: Texas A&M University
can someone post a pic of his exhaust ~thanks

#44040 - 23/05/02 06:02 PM Re: Dual Exhaust
Marty Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa Ca
I think CharleH went with a single in dual out and ran them both out the same side? Not sure if he is on this board or the other one?
You can always run new pipe for the cats to a duel in duel out muffler. This will cut down on the space it will take, if it even takes up any more space? Shop around for the best price. I'm sure the price will very alot. smile

#44041 - 24/05/02 07:59 AM Re: Dual Exhaust
Toy4x4Guy Offline

Loc: TN
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterra01Red:
Hey has anyone had a custom dual exhaust put on their X. I was thinkin of using a flowmaster 40 series delta flow, the only thing is i dont want to remove the spare to make room for the other pipe. I thought about running it over the leaf and out the side right behind the mud flap, but i dont know if there is enough room, or if it would interfere with the leaf spring. I did see that Toy4x4Guy did exactly what I wanted to do to his taco, but i think there is more room on the taco. However I am open to suggestions. Thanks
Yeah I did this on my Taco and it did work well. I even flexed the suspension to the max and the leafs never came close to touching the pipes. Not sure on the space on the Xterra though.

I've considered dual exhaust on my Xterra as well. I'd likely go with a dual in dual out 2" Flowmaster. That'll save space on the mufflers. Since the Xterra already has dual cats and dual 02 sensors, do true dual exhaust. A single in dual out muffler is what I had to use on the Tacoma due to it only having one cat and one 02 sensor. You could have both pipes run side by side and come straight out the back tucked close together. Performance would be the same as having them run out each side, and having them run together would have a nice European look.

Just some thoughts.

#44042 - 24/05/02 08:52 AM Re: Dual Exhaust
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
CharlieH (from Reno) does indeed have the single-in / dual-out with them exiting on the same side (driver's). From what I remember, it's a custom Flowmaster job. I took a picture of it at the last club run, but my SmartMedia card got messed up and I couldn't retrieve any othe pics. He is on this board, but I think he must've missed this thread. You can track him down in the NCCX forum.

Gary (debgary) has a different setup with Magnaflow, but it's more along the lines of what you were thinking about as they exit out the rear on either side of the spare. Even though he had this done before he installed the Calmini rear bumper with the swing-away spare carrier, I >think< he was running with the spare on his roof rack when he had the muffler work done, so it wasn't in the way. I'm not sure about that, though. He doesn't post as much as CharlieH, but he can also be tracked down in the NCCX forum if you have any questions.

#44043 - 24/05/02 09:36 PM Re: Dual Exhaust
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Aw, crap, I can't believe it. If you're still looking for some pics, CharlieH already posted pics of his exhaust in this very forum. It's in the screw these aftermarket exhaust! thread. D'oh!

#44044 - 25/05/02 07:08 AM Re: Dual Exhaust
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
There would be little gained in going to a true dual. For duals to be really nice a crossover should be installed, so why not just leave the factory Y-pipe? Where I cut the Y is about 3" in diameter coming from two 1.5 (mm equivalent ?) after the cats. By doing it this way you are effectively using the muffler as the crossover. I wasn't sure of the effect of going right after the cats with 2.5 or 3. The way it is now I have the same bottom end and big improvements in the mid and upper. The big problem with experimenting like this is sometimes you kill all your lower end, so be careful. smile

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal