2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44292 - 30/10/06 07:42 PM I am so sad (AT problem)
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
I was coming back from a friends house Sunday morning and arrived at mom's for an early Sunday dinner. That all went well, when we were going to leave, I notice a puddle under the X. Upon closer inspection, I found she was bleeding, ATF fluid. Leaks like mad when running, stops when shut off. I found a trail up the driveway, back at my house, and it probably went longer than that. Got it to a dealer who gave me a heads up- gonna be at least a grand, they have to pull the trans out. The leak is coming from a drain hole at the bottom of the bell. I found one other instance of this through a search, torque convertor failure. I have no idea when it happened. Except, maybe when I was coming up the parkway, it was windy as heck! I figured because of all the head wind, the torque convertor kept unlocking, could it have been crying then? Any thoughts?

#44293 - 31/10/06 08:02 AM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
frown

#44294 - 01/11/06 02:03 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you been abusing your X by running it too hard? but a grand sounds about right. They have to do a lot of work on it to get it fixed and mechanic labor is probably 10 times the cost of the part alone.

#44295 - 01/11/06 03:46 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Xterradon Offline

Not really abusing it in my opinion, over 105K miles that include many long road trips, light wheeling, light towing here and there, daily driven at least 50 miles and I've pulled out a few bushes. Dealer power flushed the trans and torque convertor twice...I'm driving work's Chevy 2500, totally different animal, not bad, but man, I miss my X!

#44296 - 02/11/06 09:08 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmm...maybe just a seal that is wore out now. hope you get your X soon

#44297 - 07/11/06 03:28 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Xterradon Offline

Well, finally got some news today, the torque convertor needs replacement. What an expensive part! Supposedly, all of the bolts on it came undone and it destroyed itself. Two more days to get the part and gaskets, then hopefully I get it back. This is really testing my love! Thanks for listening...still so sad...
-Bryan

#44298 - 07/11/06 07:18 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Anonymous
Unregistered

same thing happened to mine, not once, but 3 times. thats why i traded the truck. it didnt leak. it started acting up and i took it to have it checked out and a fluid flush and the TC was gone.

#44299 - 10/11/06 03:00 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Xterradon Offline

Ok, got the X back, but looks like I'm going back on Monday. I get a subtle whine (like the supercharger, but slightly higher pitch) while accelerating. In each gear, it disappears just before the trans upshifts. Once it is in the next gear, it comes back. Higher rpms, louder whine. Does anyone know if the torque converter unlocks just before an upshift

And they scratched my torsion bars no doubt during disassembly. Looks like they put a pipe wrench or something similar on each of them, and then hit that with a mallet. Considering how much I just spend, I expected to get it back in pristine condition, so much for that. - Bryan

#44300 - 01/05/07 09:33 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I think my torque converter has lost it's torque. I may be heading back into Nissan with it tomorrow.

What was the damage, if I may ask?

In 2002, my Torque converter started disassembling while wheeling with Carlton in TN. He diagnosed it and sure enough, the torque converter was unbolting. I was towing 2 weeks ago and I think it's done it again. Last time a bolt came out of the torque converter, and it is in the tranny. It's been catching a ride for 5 years now. Hope it doesn't have any more relatives hanging with it in the ATF pit.

I checked pricing on a new tranny. holy shitballs.

I need to keep this truck another 80000 miles. I'm at 170 now. Want to make the quarter century mark.

#44301 - 02/05/07 08:04 PM Re: I am so sad (AT problem)
Xterradon Offline

Matt, I had the torque converter, flywheel and a new transmission installed for $5K. I'm in the same boat, I've got 115,000 miles now, but will probably be keeping it until the wheels fall off.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal