2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44400 - 10/04/05 12:20 AM Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya, I was wondering if it's possible to change an Automatic Xterra into a Manual one. I know you'd need the transfer case, pedals, and linkage, but could I actually change my automatic into a manual with bolt-ons? Or would I need to mess with the ECU some?

#44401 - 10/04/05 07:13 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Anythings possible with enough time and money.

I don't think it would be worth the amount of time and money you would spend to do it though.

#44402 - 10/04/05 10:26 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

why not? Essentially I'd be buying a manual transimission, some little parts to make the in cabin area look nice. Some linkage parts for the clutch, and there I'd get some 10% improved drivetrain efficiency, and it'd make the truck better.

I'm just curious if anybody has done this, or if anybody knows how?

#44403 - 10/04/05 11:36 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
why not? Essentially I'd be buying a manual transimission, some little parts to make the in cabin area look nice. Some linkage parts for the clutch, and there I'd get some 10% improved drivetrain efficiency, and it'd make the truck better.
Don't bank on it - you probably need a new driveshaft, some mounting brackets, don't forget the hydraulic system for the clutch.... the parts list could be quite extensive. And I do believe the ECU is different for the manual tranny. Not sure on the Xterra, but on other vehicles I owned, the engines were different too (not enough to be a show stopper but made the ECU swap that much more complicated).

If you are really serious about doing the swap, you might want to start by getting a factory service manual and comparing drivetrains. Search around in the backyard mechanic forum for links to getting it online.

but as was pointed out, it probably isn't worth the cost or hassle to swap - depends. If the X isn't your primary vehicle and you can do all the work yourself, then it may be a wash and an interesting exercise. I personally wouldn't want to do it, but that's just me.

#44404 - 10/04/05 01:05 PM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
OnlyOneDR Offline

The transmission and flexplate get ditched for the new manual and clutch assembly. The front cover for the manual t-case has a lip on it for lubrications (autos don't because they "bathe" in ATF), so that cover needs to be changed.

The interior pieces aren't cheap, when I converted mine to 4x4 (stayed with a 5 speed) I still was stuck spending $200 on interior bits because they were impossible to find in yards. As for the clutch hydaulics, there's a spot on the firewall for the master cylinder already and a through-hole for the linkage. Find a donor truck and get all the parts from one truck. The ECUs are different, you will be abandoning the transmission harness and I do not know if the rest of the wiring is the same (and I don't feel like looking it up right now).

No driveshaft differences.

Don't expect a gas mileage increase, as the autos have a taller overdrive for highway cruising that tends to make them more fuel efficient.

I'd consider a swap like that similar to my 4x4 conversion, if you are going to keep it a long time and are going to heavily mod it out (to make trading it in a waste), then it might be worth it if you get the parts at a good price.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#44405 - 11/04/05 09:48 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
The interior pieces aren't cheap, when I converted mine to 4x4 (stayed with a 5 speed) I still was stuck spending $200 on interior bits because they were impossible to find in yards.
woh woh woh... [Huh?] hold on lets read that agian:

Quote:
when I converted mine to 4x4
Jeeeeeeesus H Christ on a popsickle stick!!!!!!!
what did that set you back? and why?
eek eek eek eek

#44406 - 13/04/05 12:11 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The transmission and flexplate get ditched for the new manual and clutch assembly. The front cover for the manual t-case has a lip on it for lubrications (autos don't because they "bathe" in ATF), so that cover needs to be changed.

The interior pieces aren't cheap, when I converted mine to 4x4 (stayed with a 5 speed) I still was stuck spending $200 on interior bits because they were impossible to find in yards. As for the clutch hydaulics, there's a spot on the firewall for the master cylinder already and a through-hole for the linkage. Find a donor truck and get all the parts from one truck. The ECUs are different, you will be abandoning the transmission harness and I do not know if the rest of the wiring is the same (and I don't feel like looking it up right now).

No driveshaft differences.

Don't expect a gas mileage increase, as the autos have a taller overdrive for highway cruising that tends to make them more fuel efficient.

I'd consider a swap like that similar to my 4x4 conversion, if you are going to keep it a long time and are going to heavily mod it out (to make trading it in a waste), then it might be worth it if you get the parts at a good price.
So how many mechanical pieces are we looking at here? I know the smart thing to do is go online and buy the blueprints (which I've done, waiting). But I'm curious, could I simply find a manual V6 in some junkyard, get all the pieces I need, and let a transmission store do the rest? If I know what pieces to get, then couldn't I simply tell a transmission place to just do the work for me? It's also a 4X4, which I'm sure doesn't change anything, because from what I understand the two transmissions are the same.

#44407 - 15/04/05 04:32 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just trade it in?

Maybe get a six speed 05 with 260Hp and better gas mileage? comes with a warranty and everything.

#44408 - 15/04/05 06:03 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Just for your amusement..

There is currently an automatic transmission on E-bay for 500.00

#44409 - 10/12/05 09:26 PM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
woh woh woh... [Huh?] hold on lets read that again:

Quote:
[b]when I converted mine to 4x4
Jeeeeeeesus H Christ on a popsickle stick!!!!!!!
what did that set you back? and why?
eek eek eek eek [/b]
No offense, but where have you been? I've been parading around my rolling used parts wagon on the trails for almost two years now! How's this one, I converted the rear axle to accept a Detroit locker too! No ARB for me!

I admit it, I was bored and had more $$$ laying around than I knew what to do with! No seriously it was the best decision at the time, made for a fun project and is always a topic of conversation on trail runs. Visit my website for more details than I can repeat here.

Back to topic. For the skinny on a post-OBDII auto- to manual- swap, read this thread from system-f on TNT, he just did this swap on his R50 Pathfinder:

http://texasnissantrucks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3837

#44410 - 11/12/05 04:27 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to steal the topic...if i had money laying around, AND lots of free time, i would have bought a boat, parked that sucker in the middle of the lake, with my feet up and popped open a cold beer...and ponder about how it was such a good idea to op for the 4x4.

but then again im lazy.

#44411 - 14/12/05 05:43 PM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why?

Do you have more spare time than the rest of us?

More money?

#44412 - 15/12/05 04:27 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Quote:
and it'd make the truck better
Really? How?

Toy Man

#44413 - 15/12/05 07:14 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
Just to steal the topic...if i had money laying around, AND lots of free time, i would have bought a boat, parked that sucker in the middle of the lake, with my feet up and popped open a cold beer...and ponder about how it was such a good idea to op for the 4x4.

but then again im lazy.
He did that too... damn nice boat wink

System-F (rarely posts on this board - but can be found at Texasnissantrucks.com) just finished doing an auto-to-manual swap in his '98 Pathfinder (same guts as an Xterra)... I KNOW he spent less than $1k to do it .

#44414 - 15/12/05 07:50 PM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
[qb]Just to steal the topic...if i had money laying around, AND lots of free time, i would have bought a boat, parked that sucker in the middle of the lake, with my feet up and popped open a cold beer...and ponder about how it was such a good idea to op for the 4x4.

but then again im lazy.
He did that too... damn nice boat wink
^THAT^ is just too damn funny! ROFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
System-F (rarely posts on this board - but can be found at Texasnissantrucks.com) just finished doing an auto-to-manual swap in his '98 Pathfinder (same guts as an Xterra)... I KNOW he spent less than $1k to do it .
Glen, I posted the link already ^^^^^. ROFL!

#44415 - 16/12/05 07:17 AM Re: Automatic Transmission conversion to Manual
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
shocked

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal