Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44674 - 21/05/02 08:39 PM Auto or 5-Speed?
WantAnX Offline

Loc: maryland
i dont have an X yet but i do like what im hearing and i do like how this board has been set up for enthusiasts
my question is im looking at a 2002 X the SE with the supercharger is it worth it to get it in auto or will i not see all the benefits unless i got the 5-speed? i had a truck before i was going through clutches like water and i swore i would never drive a manual truck but im not sure now
any help will be appreciated thanks in advance

#44675 - 21/05/02 08:42 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Sounds like you should get the auto if you are that hard on clutches [Freak]

-Rick

#44676 - 21/05/02 09:29 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
WantAnX Offline

well the problem was it was an 85 ford f150 with the inline 6 running on 39" super swampers
didnt make for an easy day on the clutch or u-joints

#44677 - 21/05/02 09:29 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
The SC is supposedly a hair faster with the auto, but there's something to be said for having the power at your fingertips.

In 15 years of driving, my X is the first auto tranny I've ever owned... and I love it (especially off-road).

Test drive both and see what feels the best to you.

#44678 - 21/05/02 11:23 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
Aiball Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA.
I recently bought my X which is an SE SC 4X4 with manual transmission. The dealership had an automatic, but I wanted the manual transmission so they had to special order my X. I have no regrets though. I LOVE having the power at my fingertips! Like the other people stated, it depends on you. I would not have been happy with an auto, but to each their own.

#44679 - 22/05/02 07:31 AM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
an88fan Offline

Loc: Central Florida
I have an XE/SC 5-speed and I love it. I also had to wait, three months until the dealer found one in yellow, they had an automatic.

I have always drove a standard, my last 4x4 that I traded in at 67K miles still had the original clutch and a car I had that I traded in on my X was 10 years old 117K miles and still the original clutch.

All depends on how you treat them. wink

#44680 - 22/05/02 08:24 AM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
The SC is supposedly a hair faster with the auto, but there's something to be said for having the power at your fingertips.
I seriously doubt that...

I test drove the auto/manual and found that the auto "soaks up" a bit of the power due to it's shift points, etc.

I have a manual, and it's da bomb diggity, baby. Complete control, shift points where YOU want them, etc.

It's a truck - get a manual! Autos are for wussies... laugh

Seriously though, it's your call - you have to drive it everyday. I have always preferred manual over automatic, and the Xterra is nice and smooth, and really - you don't notice the shifting, it's like a second nature function or something. Heh.

The manual tranny is also simpler, lighter and cheaper...

#44681 - 22/05/02 10:47 AM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
WantAnX Offline

im no stranger to a 5-speed my past 4 cars have been manual i just remember it being a little trickier to negotiate my truck around when i was rolling through some trails guess ill just have to test out each
im not really sure if i woudl care much about if it moves a little faster with a 5 speed anyway im coming from a mildly tuned vw gti vr6 which is pretty darn quick so moving into a truck with the same amount of power but at least 1000 pounds heavier im well aware it will be slower hopfully my money comes soon so i can see if i can buy or will lease the X

#44682 - 22/05/02 12:08 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
jim_ignatuk Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
If you know how to drive it, definitely go with the manual transmission, unless your commute requires an hour a day of bumper-to-bumper driving.

I hate automatics. They cost $1,000, plus they'll break, and you'll need to have another one put in. Plus they're not as much fun, plus you lose performance and gear control.

The manual transmission on the Xterra is pretty smooth, much better than most trucks. Test drive it, I doubt you'll have any problems!!!

#44683 - 22/05/02 12:55 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
Mebike Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl.
I have found that my first gear is very on the low side . meaning you have to shift to second verry fast it redlines in no time. [Spit]

#44684 - 22/05/02 05:13 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
If you do a fair amount of higway driving the auto may be better for you.

Personally I have the manual, but don't maintain speeds over 55-70 very often. The auto seems to "level-off" at a lower RPM at "highway speeds".

I do not know how much gas this would save, but when I bought mine, I took EVERYTHING into consideration. Especially if you have to go with the high octance fuel.

Hope this helps.

-Jeremy

P.S. When I get my next one (supercharged) it too will be a manual. :p

#44685 - 22/05/02 05:34 PM Re: Auto or 5-Speed?
sjstremb Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I have a 2002 S/C and also had to order it with a 5 speed manual. I test rode an auto and just prefered the 5 speed. I traded in a 99 Pathy with an auto and do not miss the auto one bit.

The extra $1000 for the auto was also a consideration. Don't let anyone deter you from the S/C, the power is great!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal