2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44959 - 18/10/05 03:00 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by shortcut:
Wow this is nice info. GOing to have to start relocating. WOOHOO. Water here I come eek . OKay maybe ill wait but, soon.
just becareful with water, i dont have a pic of it, but on our trucks the alternator sits very low in the engine, frying alternators is a common thing people have happen when doing deep water crossings[/b]
It's not the water that's killing the alternators. Clear water has absolutely no ill effect. It's the mud and gunk and all the sticks and branches in the mud that kill alternators.

If anything, clean water is only beneficial because it'll clean it out a little.[/b]
yea but how often do you cross nice and clean water? all the water crossings ive done contain mud, some rocks, and whatever else is hiding in there
True that.

Apparently, mud, you are like me and bored at work so you sit on XOC. You're here every time I post! [Laughing]

#44960 - 18/10/05 08:04 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I take it thats really the only problem with going through water. What else though. I mean what about inside the X. I think water will be driven around for now. THank you for all this. Now its something to work on. I mean I think it would be fun to cross streams and what not.

#44961 - 18/10/05 08:59 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#44962 - 18/10/05 09:44 PM Re: differential breather?
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Starting in 02, the rear axle did not have a breather tube that goes up, just a floater type shutoff CAP.

#44963 - 19/10/05 05:30 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shortcut:
Wow this is nice info. GOing to have to start relocating. WOOHOO. Water here I come eek . OKay maybe ill wait but, soon.
just becareful with water, i dont have a pic of it, but on our trucks the alternator sits very low in the engine, frying alternators is a common thing people have happen when doing deep water crossings[/b]
It's not the water that's killing the alternators. Clear water has absolutely no ill effect. It's the mud and gunk and all the sticks and branches in the mud that kill alternators.

If anything, clean water is only beneficial because it'll clean it out a little.[/b]
yea but how often do you cross nice and clean water? all the water crossings ive done contain mud, some rocks, and whatever else is hiding in there
True that.

Apparently, mud, you are like me and bored at work so you sit on XOC. You're here every time I post! [Laughing]

well your close, i'm in college so i'm bored at school [LOL] , but right now i'm inbetween classes, gimmie a couple years to get a real job after i graudate, then i'll be bored at work and on XOC like you laugh but since XOC is the only thing that really entertains me on the internet, i'm, usually here when im near a computer lol the rest of the internet is so boring with no drama [LOL]

#44964 - 19/10/05 09:07 AM Re: differential breather?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
Thanks BP. I'll add alittle color under your screen name. smile
Damn, can you add anymore?????? laugh

#44965 - 19/10/05 11:52 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
Thanks BP. I'll add alittle color under your screen name. smile
cool - thanks! [Wave]

-Bp

#44966 - 19/10/05 12:02 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by oleblue:
Starting in 02, the rear axle did not have a breather tube that goes up, just a floater type shutoff CAP.
My '02 DOES have the breather tube going up to the body.

#44967 - 19/10/05 01:23 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Starting in 02, the rear axle did not have a breather tube that goes up, just a floater type shutoff CAP.
My '02 DOES have the breather tube going up to the body.[/b]
Is it also dependant on whether or not you have a dealer installed tow hitch? I think I remember seeing some Nissan bulletin regarding the axle breathers when having a hitch installed,(maybe because they think you will run out and launch boats or something.)

-Bp

#44968 - 19/10/05 04:46 PM Re: differential breather?
oleblue Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Starting in 02, the rear axle did not have a breather tube that goes up, just a floater type shutoff CAP.
My '02 DOES have the breather tube going up to the body.[/b]
Correction then, Later 02's. You know, the ones with the newer air dam (at that time).

I have the Nissan hitch too.

#44969 - 24/10/05 10:12 AM Re: differential breather?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Just found these pics I had of the breather going up to the cross member of my '01.

laugh

The end is on the cross member just above where the muffler pipe starts from the muffler.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#44970 - 24/10/05 11:06 AM Re: differential breather?
oleblue Offline

And here is one on my later 02

#44971 - 24/10/05 12:02 PM Re: differential breather?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I wonder if they are interchangeable...like can the end of the '02 pop onto the end of the '01?

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#44972 - 24/10/05 04:32 PM Re: differential breather?
Walrus Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
2000 & 2001 has breather tubes that run up to the body.

2002 and up has one-way check valves instead of a tube that only let stuff (air) out of the diff. Problem is, they tend to completely clog, and which allows the diff to pressurize, and you will start seeing some oil seeping out where there are gaskets/joints.

#44973 - 24/10/05 07:15 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will post mine up tommorrow.

#44974 - 25/10/05 05:30 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a oil "wet" spot around my breather tube. Any ideas? We had the same type breathers on alot of our military vehicles, we were told just to make sure they could spin and that would indicate a operable breather. confused

#44975 - 16/04/06 10:37 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

so would it be a good idea to run a tube up high?? If I have one of these caps.. And are they on the t-case and the tranny??

#44976 - 17/04/06 11:42 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra in HI:
so would it be a good idea to run a tube up high?? If I have one of these caps.. And are they on the t-case and the tranny??
Yes, t-case and tranny should have the breathers as well. I think it's a good idea to run the higher in case you are stuck in deep water for more than a minute or so.

#44977 - 17/04/06 12:18 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just replaced mine. I drilled and tapped out the diff so I could put a 1/2"ips fitting in there (ARB has now recommended doing this to prevent the oil blowback problem that is common with them) I ran a 3/8"id pressure washer hose from the axle up into the top of the rear tail light. It was really pretty easy. laugh

#44978 - 17/04/06 12:49 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is that enough? ive seen the video where u go deeper? Terminate at the rack perhaps :-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal