Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45029 - 23/08/02 05:35 PM Re: Air Temperature Senor Modification (With Pic's)
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I won't be going to GOX (even though I'd love to), too far of a haul for the wife and 2 1/2 yr. As for your questions, #2 is IN the intake, not outside, and both the intakes from the stock airbox take air from the inner fender. I conducted another temp test after dinner (wife thinks I'm nuts [Freak] ). The TC sites were:

#1 New air temp sensor location
#2 Stock air temp sensor location
#3 Intake after air filter/before intake manifold

Fully warmed up I headed for the closest highway. With an outside air temp of 67 degrees, and traveling at a steady 55 mph (2100 rpms), the results were:

#1 68 degrees
#2 68 degrees
#3 74 degrees

Then when I got home (with dirty looks from the wife, and guess who's not getting any tonight :rolleyes: ), I let it idle for 10 minutes and the temp results were:

#1 115 degrees
#2 126 degrees
#3 120 degrees

And all sites were STILL climbing slowly. All I can say is I'll never get one of those cone filters systems installed in the engine compartment, too much heat soak. I still can't believe how much heat gets into the inner fender well (even after I taped over most of the holes). The good news is as long as your moving, and your intake doesn't take in air from the engine compartment, your air intake temperature after the stock airbox is only about 6 degrees warmer than the outside air.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#45030 - 23/08/02 08:30 PM Re: Air Temperature Senor Modification (With Pic's)
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Sorry to hear you won't be at GOX. I thought I saw your name on the list. Thanks for going the extra mile to get info on here for all of us. I'll be doing a lot more monitoring of my ECU now that I have my scanner installed. I just need to get some days off so I can actually do it.

#45031 - 23/08/02 08:33 PM Re: Air Temperature Senor Modification (With Pic's)
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
It certainly explains why the HVAC system picks up so much heat since much of its air comes from the inner fenders.

One though about about why it gets so hot quickly when you are standing - the cooling fan blows hot air over the engine and down towards the cats. As that hot air flows out from under the vehicle one of the natural routes is into the front fender wells. Air that hot will rise rapidly - and it's a short path into the inner fender space.

Perhaps an better intake could be devised via the headlight area, or some path to the area in front of the radiator where the air is much cooler.

#45032 - 23/08/02 09:42 PM Re: Air Temperature Senor Modification (With Pic's)
TR Graham Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, TX
Gents,
I've been reading with interest about Sean's various intake modifications. Whether it ultimately works or not, personally I think the attempt is worthwhile. Remember - anytime somebody has the balls to "experiment" like this, we all learn a little bit more about our trucks.

I have a question. Can the Air Temp Senser be damaged in any way or effect engine performance if it is placed in a position that may allow water to contact it?

I ask because I've got a JWT PopCharger installed on my Desert Runner. As many of you already know, the PopCharger does not have a mounting for the ATS, so most folks just leave it in the stock postition on the lower air intake tube. However, I have removed this lower tube (I'm fabricating a heat shield for the PopCharger) and have repositioned the ATS in an area just above and behind the left headlight. My concern is that in this "exposed" position, the ATS might be effected by road spray or rain.

Any thoughts?

TR Graham
TUNFS Member/XOC Visitor
'01 SuperBlack SE Desert Runner w/a lot of mods..

"I didn't say there wasn't drawbacks....."

#45033 - 24/08/02 04:07 PM Re: Air Temperature Senor Modification (With Pic's)
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Mine had dryed mud on it and seemed to work just fine.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal