2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461741 - 07/03/07 06:05 PM recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking to buy a good recovery shovel, something light weight with an extndable handle maybe...

any suggestions?
what are you using?
pics would be great

thanks
miles

#461742 - 07/03/07 07:38 PM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Miles,

the shovel is of the type for digging a hole.
However, what you use should be dependent on what you anticipate. Jim Allens four wheeler bible recommends that you carry a shovel to anticipate the terrain or material you would come in contact with. Mud...Snow or sand ... a shoveling blade (straight or flat blade)is best.For hard ground or digging holes a digging blade works best(round or pointed). length is what you're willing to carry. longer provides more leverage. You may want a compact GI style and a long one on top of your rig. If you have not bought a copy of the four wheelers bible. I recommend you get a copy. I would add my own two cents that some of the newer handles are made of fiberglass or resin material. I would consider UV damage with prolonged exposure to the sun.

#461743 - 07/03/07 07:41 PM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks...I guess I could pick-up compact GI shovel from an army surplus store...

#461744 - 07/03/07 07:54 PM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gerber makes a great shovel, and axe..

#461745 - 08/03/07 02:25 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

For where I live, I would go to Home Depot/Lowes and pickup a short handled fiber glass handled shovel and mount it to the roof rack. The reason for fiber glass is it will not weather like wood.

#461746 - 08/03/07 03:12 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will do that
thanks muzikman

#461747 - 08/03/07 03:42 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miles:
thanks...I guess I could pick-up compact GI shovel from an army surplus store...
That's what I have, $10.

#461748 - 08/03/07 04:11 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry this all the time, mostly for snow or the unexpected.

But when going in the wood, I also bring a regular digging shovel.

#461749 - 08/03/07 10:02 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a small shovel with a pointed blade at Wal-Mart that just fits into the roof-top basket. It's lived there for over a year now.

If I was heading for snow I guess I might also take my old backpacker's take-down snow shovel, LifeLink I think is the brand.

#461750 - 08/03/07 10:58 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want to spend some money, about $178, but the Max Axe. I have it, and it works great! Mud, snow, and even rocks!

Max Axe

#461751 - 08/03/07 11:03 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by chrishaynesusa:
Miles,

the shovel is of the type for digging a hole.
However, what you use should be dependent on what you anticipate. Jim Allens four wheeler bible recommends that you carry a shovel to anticipate the terrain or material you would come in contact with. Mud...Snow or sand ... a shoveling blade (straight or flat blade)is best.For hard ground or digging holes a digging blade works best(round or pointed). length is what you're willing to carry. longer provides more leverage. You may want a compact GI style and a long one on top of your rig. If you have not bought a copy of the four wheelers bible. I recommend you get a copy. I would add my own two cents that some of the newer handles are made of fiberglass or resin material. I would consider UV damage with prolonged exposure to the sun.
well said, here in colorado I have an e-tool that lives in the back and I started carrying a life link in the winter. You only have to dig out a highcentered truck in the snow once with an e-tool and the life link starts to look pretty cheap.

#461752 - 08/03/07 11:37 AM Re: recovery shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for all the reccomandations...I guess it comes down to how much do you want to spend...

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal