Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46176 - 26/01/05 03:38 PM AT lockup question - and no not when cold
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a TPS sensor replaced a few weeks back and since then the transmission has been shifting different. It was really holding 2nd to 3rd shift, brought it back and they increased the voltage to the TPS so that it thought it had more throttle. 2nd to 3rd shift is better much better.

Now the lockup is different. Before TPS failed when crusing on the highway if you took your foot off the gas the converter would unlock and the truck would coast. Putting your foot back on the gas would cause the revs to raise and the lockup would engage. Now taking foot off the gas and the converter stays locked.

Called him on the phone and they think thats way it's supposed to be (converter staying locked), the way it was before (converter unlocking) was a result of the broken TPS.

So I ask what does other folks AT's do?
Does it stay locked or does it unlock when you take your foot off the gas at highway speeds?

#46177 - 27/01/05 11:58 AM Re: AT lockup question - and no not when cold
Anonymous
Unregistered

It should release lock-up when the throttle is fully released.
The position of the TPS can be adjusted in relation to the throttle body, the mounting holes are elongated to allow it. Have the dealer adjust that so that it properly indicates that the throttle is fully closed, it was not adjusted when the new TPS was installed.

#46178 - 27/01/05 03:55 PM Re: AT lockup question - and no not when cold
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine unlocks, but it being locked with the throttle closed ~might~ give you better compression brakeing, as the motor rpms would be a little higher..

#46179 - 27/01/05 10:45 PM Re: AT lockup question - and no not when cold
Anonymous
Unregistered

You need to take the X in and have it properly adjusted. They'll use feeler gauges to set the TPS correctly.

#46180 - 29/01/05 04:16 PM Re: AT lockup question - and no not when cold
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I thought it was wrong.

I'll have to bring it back and tell them to fix it.

About the braking, it does slow it down a little. It's a little nice in moving traffic to have it stick in the lockup. But if its wrong its wrong and needs to be fixed.

Thanks for all the replies!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal