2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#463359 - 28/02/08 11:30 AM Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm lookin for a expedition vehicle, one that can tackle all of the elements then get me and my K9 companion home safely. I'm looking to travel for 1-2 months seeing the good ol' U.S. of A, mainly around national parks out west (I'm from upstate NY). There will be a good mixture of highway travel mixed with off roading to get to remote place to set up camp come night fall.

So I've naturally been looking at the competition, FJ, X, H3, used Disco or Land Cruiser...does anyone have their rig set up for expeditions, or is the X capable of undertaking this task? Havent seen or heard much from Nissan about this, typically its always hummers and land rovers that undertake this role. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your time,
-JSonn

#463360 - 28/02/08 11:48 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that if you can afford it a discovery would be your best bet right out of the box personally.

#463361 - 28/02/08 12:10 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thought about a used LR Disco II or even the new LR3- but thing is LR isnt very notable for being trustworthy when you venture far from home- they even changed the name from Discovery to LR3 so no one would assimilate the new LR3 with breaking down as much as the older Disco's did...

#463362 - 28/02/08 12:44 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that the X is pretty good for that type of use. I have mine set up for about what you are describing, and the cost is still about 1/2 that of a Land Rover.

If you're thinking of an 05 or newer, you don't need to do much, but some BFG AT tires, sliders, roof rack and interior organization things like the Raingler ceiling net, really help. If you plan to sleep inside the X (which really works well) a set of Weathertech In-Channel vent visors are nice.

The range of the Gen2 trucks is pretty good. You should not need to carry extra fuel for what you're describing. If you do, you can strap a can to the roof. That's where a basket is nice to have.

I did a 2-week 3,500 mile road trip last spring, of which only about 800 miles was on 4-lane or bigger roads. Most of it was 2-lane, with some trails and/or dirt roads. We went from San Diego to Montana and back, by way of Nevada, Idaho, Utah and Arizona. The X was very comfortable for 2 of us. I topped off fuel anytime I got near 1/2, and never had a problem. We stayed in hotels mostly, but carried camping and lots of emergency equipment. Plenty of room for gear.

Looking down on US 50, the "loneliest highway in America", from the old cemetary in Osceola, NV.

#463363 - 28/02/08 01:12 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
A lot of us don't refer to what we do as expeditions (it's just kind of a new word), but that is precisely what we do with our Xterras (multi-thousand mile trips, some offroad, some onroad, living out of the truck etc). I think it's one of the best vehicles out there for it, personally.

Check out http://www.expeditionportal.com/

#463364 - 28/02/08 01:16 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

the reason why I said a discovery(not lr3) is because it has a history of being dependable, comes with down hill assist, uphill assist, and several other "modes" depending on your situation. the optional ladder on the back makes it way easier to get to the roof. Depending on what you are doing I dont know if I would trust the new nissan watered down rear axle from a rockcrawling point of view, but if you arent going to be rock crawling at all I'm sure the new xterra would be fine. I realize you could outfit the xterra for this such as the ladder and whatnot, but it may be more convenient to get a used discovery just because most of the stuff needed is already there.
just my .02. good luck!

#463365 - 28/02/08 02:08 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would definately read up and be familiar with how much maintenance a discovery requires. The reliability factor would come into play for me, and is why I chose a Land Cruiser over a discovery. Lets face it, the discoveries are not the most rock solid when it comes to reliability. If you must get a discovery get one around the 95 model year. Less funky bristish electronics and have been known to be more reliable than their newer counterparts. Some of the 93-97 Toyota Land Cruisers came factory equipped with front and rear locking differentials as well. Something to think about...

#463366 - 28/02/08 09:28 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tested drove all the vehicles mentioned above... My two cents is below.

X wins because you can get it brand new for under $25K. You will spend another $3k on tires, sliders, a nice Gobi roof rack and some armor. Done.

Of course, this is only good for mild runs as you may need to get suspension mods and other crap to make the car more trail friendly. New Xterra has crappy differentials (check http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=4) and the interior will be gone for good after a couple of months living out of the car. Overall, you'll spend about $28K for the car + the mods.

If not the X, get a Land Cruiser. There are some nice models out there with 3 locking differentials. A well kept cruiser + parts from Slee Off-road will make you happy. The total cost for the car will be under $20K provided that you get a nice specimen for around $12K and then dump several grand into maintenance and mods. Most of the older cruisers can use some refreshment. I would do a major tune-up that is for sure. However, the money is worth it. They are reliable and having solid axles is nice smile I did not get one because I could not find a solid car with the locking diffs. They are rare, but I some some modded vehicles on sale for mid 20s. I think it is somewhat too much to pay for an older car. However, you will notice that those puppies run well into mid-200K marks without any issues. This is a bullet proof car! In many parts of the world it is treated as an off-road king. Too bad most models that are haded for the U.S. are designed for soccer practices smile

Discovery II will come a close third or even as a tie for the second place. What you get with them is the cost -- cheap! You can buy an '04 for around $15K. Get a 3" lift and some armor from Rovertym.com and you're all set. Whatever you do, do not get mid-90s models as outlined above. They come with weaker engines and 99-2003 Disco IIs do not have a lever that engages the center differential lock. The lock itself is present on 99-01 models, but you'll have to make a lever to engage the lock; kits are available. Your best bet is to get a gently used '04 as it has the lock and the mechanism to enable it + enough power. Discos have large windows and good ergos for off-road driving. Frankly, I should have gotten a Disco instead of the X... You get solid axles and other goodies. You can get an 03 and then put a transfer case from the 04 into it. This will cost you around $2K, so it is better to start with a '04. Oh, did I mention these guys love gas? With oil hoovering around $100/barrel, I don't know if this is going to be a wise car for cross-country travel.

FJ is the last place. What a POS. If you are over 6', you will not be able to see clearly. Windows are too small and you will need a backup camera. If you cannot see where you're going, then what is the point of moving? That is the sad story with FJs... Blind spots and bad turning radius are the things that you will get used to. Also some FJs had an interesting frame problem (parts of the frame / joints cracking). This is going to be the most expensive vehicle as well.

As you can see, I am somewhat biased towards Discos. They do need attention, but the number of aftermarket vendors and enthusiasts who are wiling to help makes up for the problems. There are many choices for suspension products and you will not have a problem finding parts or solutions for your needs. Nissan Xterra, especially the last generation, enjoys only a few trusted vendors and no replacement for some common points of failures. It has been almost 4 years since the '05 model rolled out and we are still waiting for some company to provide differentials.

Hope this helps!

#463367 - 29/02/08 12:52 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Either a 03-04 X or this:

Get an 03-04 X. Fair amount of after market/used parts. Fairly cheap (10-16k) With the other 10-12 grand you could really deck out a 1st Gen and have a good time. Lots of space to store/sleep, and you can sleep soundly knowing your diff isn't going to blow up anytime soon.

#463368 - 29/02/08 07:04 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what the original poster sent I don't see any extreme off roading on this expedition. The 2nd Gen Xterra should do anything he wants, and if he gets the off road he will have a locking differential. I have driven mine on some Idaho 4X4 type roads and done some ascent and descent without any issues. I doubt he will be doing any rock crawling so he really wont need any sliders either. I have driven mine through several of the northwest National Parks and done so pulling a travel trailer.

#463369 - 29/02/08 09:07 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

in North America, the best expedition vehicle is a chevy suburban.

the same reason that the defender's are the best for Australia and Africa - - - there are parts everywhere and there are millions of shade tree mechanics out there. So you can be in bum hump North Dakota and pull into any little town and find the chevy part you need (or that will work) in that town.

#463370 - 29/02/08 10:05 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by night stalker:
From what the original poster sent I don't see any extreme off roading on this expedition. The 2nd Gen Xterra should do anything he wants, and if he gets the off road he will have a locking differential. I have driven mine on some Idaho 4X4 type roads and done some ascent and descent without any issues. I doubt he will be doing any rock crawling so he really wont need any sliders either. I have driven mine through several of the northwest National Parks and done so pulling a travel trailer.
If so, then you right. For long distance driving and some mild off road, you cannot beat the second gen.

Good engine, enough space to sleep in the car and not so bad on gas. My only show stopper was the blown diff, but that is another story. I have been in the first gen and the second gen vehicles and in my opinion the second gen is more polished.

#463371 - 29/02/08 12:30 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could go into a long talk about why the X is a very good expidition vehicle, but instead I will just link the two threads. They are from a site called Expidition Portal. It is a great site with friendly, helpfull folks.

Really cool X set up for expiditions

Even better X set up for expiditions, but then its mine smile

Good luck
Casper
[drink]

#463372 - 29/02/08 12:52 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Casper:
I could go into a long talk about why the X is a very good expidition vehicle, but instead I will just link the two threads. They are from a site called Expidition Portal. It is a great site with friendly, helpfull folks.

Good luck
Casper
[drink]
Post Whore Show Off laugh :p

#463373 - 29/02/08 03:35 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Quote:
Originally posted by Casper:
[b]I could go into a long talk about why the X is a very good expidition vehicle, but instead I will just link the two threads. They are from a site called Expidition Portal. It is a great site with friendly, helpfull folks.

Good luck
Casper
[drink]
Post Whore Show Off laugh :p [/b]
If you got, why not flaunt it!!!!!!!! laugh :p laugh

Casper
[drink]

#463374 - 29/02/08 07:16 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is some really good info guys...I've posted this same topic on an FJ forum and you wouldn't beleive the biased comments.

Thing is I've driven all of these vehicles, but just on the road. I'm really concerned with dependability and if it does break- will I be able to fix it on the spot. I'm thinking it will be 50/50 on road and off road driving. Only highway action I will see is getting to the places I need to get to, but mostly roads less traveled.

I am a tall guy 6'3 and the H3 and FJ do have the chopped windshield going on, making it impossible to see things, not to mention the poor visibility out of the back. But the FJ's is a toyota and they do have tons of after market goodies for them.

Disco II's corny enough was my dream vehicle, spent my childhood googling them all day at the chicago auto show and dreaming about the camel trophy. The visibility is outstanding, but the reliability is what threatens the choice-after all in the states they did change the name from Discovery to LR3 so the negative connection would not be made to the unreliable Disco's...

The X is a beast, I drove an 06 off road edition and loved it. Only problem is the OR editions are hard to come by and there aftermarket scene for X's is dismal at best.

Land Cruisers are top notch, never drove the 80 series (93-97) only newer ones. Great vehicle, a bit too many bells and whistles I'd say though. Finding one with the right price tag and miles is difficult.

In closing I'm hoping to spend no more then say 25K including most modifications. I'm even thinking about sleeping in the rig or getting one of those roof tents. But I enjoy roughing it, I dont need a trailer or a nav system, etc.

Too bad they don't sell the Patrol over here, cause I would never need to ask this question if that was so...

#463375 - 29/02/08 10:57 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the type of touring you've spoken of you probably don't need an OR model, and S will work fine. I've been very happy with my 2005 S model.

If you like the idea of a better stereo than what comes standard on the S (the OR has the Rockford), I replaced my stock head unit with an Alpine for $285 installed. That included the cord that runs into the lower glove box that my iPod plugs into. All controls are on the head unit, and the iPod is safely hidden in the glove box I don't think you can do that with the much more expensive RF on the OR.

You can easily get enough length to sleep in the back by removing the driver side rear seat bottom ( leave it at home) and putting a small Rubbermaid Action Packer storage box behind the drivers seat. It is exactly the right height to extend the flat plastic surface you get when you lower the rear seat back. You wind up with, I think, over 6'.

You may want to check the site devoted to Gen2 Xterras for some ideas. thenewx.org

Also, you might want to take a look at what some of us at the So Cal X club are doing with our trucks. The terrain we cover is what you're talking about. sccxterra.com

#463376 - 01/03/08 08:41 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The OR model comes stock with the fold flat passenger seat so if you wish to sleep in the vehicle you won't have to take anything out. This fold flat isn't truly fold flat, there is a rise of around 1 inch, but with a foam mattress you shouldn't have any problems. The OR comes with locking rear Differential and unless you are planning to do extreme off roading you probably won't need to do any modifications. The clearance on this model is 9.5 inches. The only thing I plan on adding to mine is the Shrock sliders, but that is only just in case, and if someone is stupid enough to hit my on the side they will be really sorry.

#463377 - 01/03/08 10:21 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Here's a pic of the '06, I don't have any LATER mods--

--

-- [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] --JIMBO

#463378 - 01/03/08 11:29 AM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the Xterra is going to be hard to beat for what your doing. Also, the Nissan aftermarket continues to improve. Fabtech has just released a fronty lift and the Xterra version is rumored not far behind.

If you can get a good deal on an Xterra, some (5) tires and sliders, you should be good to go. You could also pick up the 2.5" lift kit because it's cheap.

I personally do not like the FJ at all. The visibility is horribleand the clamshell doors are a hassle if you ever have backseat passengers.

The H3 (5-cyl) can also be found pretty cheap and is a tough expedition vehicle with decent gas mileage.

#463379 - 01/03/08 04:39 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I enjoy our 1st gen X for our "expeditions" The 2nd gens are improved in many ways over the 1st gen (except axle strength). We travel for several weeks at a time and many of it on crappy roads with a fair amount of 4 wheeling but always lots of camping.I have 130,000 miles with a lift etc and only done regular service. You'd be suprised how much you can fit in and on an X. Until I can afford a Sportsmobile ( www.sportsmobile.com ), the X will continue to serve us well.

#463380 - 03/03/08 02:41 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Due to the weak differentials, bottoming out and general durability issues I would recommend the Jeep JK Rubicon. Jeep has moved from being the worst vehicle for expeditions, to possibly the best. My Xterra was set up to about 80% for major expeditions.(then I blew a diff) BUT, expeditions mean lots of weight over all types of terrain, and the X wont take it without extremely costly modification.

#463381 - 03/03/08 06:03 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose what initially discouraged me from keeping my gen 1 (with suspension lift and upgraded steering) was that I got tired of maintaining the front end. I wanted something more durable. I thought about doing the solid axle swap, and decided that wasn't as cost effective for me. I saw the benefit in getting a solid axled landcruiser with lockers. I personally don't really care for the looks of the gen 2s and their weak diffs, so it was a no brainer for me...

#463382 - 03/03/08 07:07 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
down hill assist, uphill assist
The second generation Off-Road model comes with both of these. The down hill assist is un-nerving as the ABS system makes all kinds of noises keeping the truck crawling nice and slow. The up hill assist is that pedal on the right connected to 265 horses. smile The hill assist is a pretty cool thing in that when parked on a steep hill the brake remains engaged for a few seconds as you swing over to the accellerator - the truck doesn't roll down hill on you.

Personally I think the Xterra is a wonderful expedition truck. Spend twice and much and you may get a better truck but leather seats and zone climate control isn't really needed. smile

#463383 - 04/03/08 04:42 PM Re: Xterra= best expedition vehicle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the design of the fld flat on the OR, very cool and could come in handy. I'm staiung away from the 1st Gen's do to some problems I've been reading about, but for the most part the 2nd Gens are clean? Or are they riddled with liability issues?

I've considered the Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited. My bro-in-law has one and its just about the most fun I've ever had driving a rig. Problem is its a jeep, and the highway travel with it was kinda scary not to mention I'm pretty sure you can put a roof rack/lights over the freedom top- bummer

some folks have pointed me in the direction of the 4runner or a Tacoma double cab with a shell over the bed...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal