2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#472087 - 09/10/05 02:30 PM wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, the X is the first new, modern vehicle I have bought in many years so this might be how things are with sophisticated gas engines these days but I must say that the odor out the tailpipe is pretty nasty. What is that all about? It's hard to describe, almost like acid fumes or something. Anybody else notice this?

#472088 - 09/10/05 04:03 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What you are probably smelling is sulfur fumes. They can be pretty nasty.

This is caused by sulfur in the gasoline that goes through the catalytic converter and gets spewed out. [Uh Oh !]

This is a complaint from a lot of people with new vehicles that have much more effective emission controls.

New low sulfar gasoline has been mandated and it is being rolled out but is not in all parts of the country yet.

#472089 - 10/10/05 07:51 AM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You shouldn't smell any sulfur unless the catalytic converter is failing. You probably smell ammonia, which can be produced by the converter.

#472090 - 10/10/05 01:32 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

my wife was complaining about the same thing the other day. i hadn't noticed it, but she says that every time she gets out of the X, she smells that sulfury smell. it's not even 3 months old, so i don't think anything is going bad yet. at least, i hope not.

#472091 - 10/10/05 01:45 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes everyone has smelt it at one time or another. I only smelt mine when it was brand new.

I also find that my intake of burritos seems to affect how often I smell it when getting out of the X. Kinda weird huh [Too much XOC]

#472092 - 10/10/05 04:55 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
NSANY Offline

Loc: Scenic NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaps:
OK, the X is the first new, modern vehicle I have bought in many years so this might be how things are with sophisticated gas engines these days but I must say that the odor out the tailpipe is pretty nasty. What is that all about? It's hard to describe, almost like acid fumes or something. Anybody else notice this?
You're smelling the new exhaust burning in. Nothing more. Smell will be gone in about a week or two.

#472093 - 11/10/05 07:52 AM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NSANY:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaps:
[b]OK, the X is the first new, modern vehicle I have bought in many years so this might be how things are with sophisticated gas engines these days but I must say that the odor out the tailpipe is pretty nasty. What is that all about? It's hard to describe, almost like acid fumes or something. Anybody else notice this?
You're smelling the new exhaust burning in. Nothing more. Smell will be gone in about a week or two.[/b]
Not necessarily. I have about 8500 miles on my truck and I still get that smell occasionally.
I thought that perhaps it was related to the gas I was putting in...the additives they used. Sometimes it stinks, sometimes it doesn't. The only variable is the brand of gas I use.

#472094 - 11/10/05 05:41 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

1, Sulfer smell may be normal in a new Catlytic Converter, some may require 1,000 miles to break in.

2. Too much fuel (air/fuel ratio) will cause a sulfer smell to occur from the exhaust.

3.Too much fuel will cause a CAT to go bad.

4. Jumping on the pedal on any vehicle will cause a sulfer smell at the next stop light, (jumping on the pedal dumps gas into the engine).

Fab.

#472095 - 11/10/05 06:11 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Yes everyone has smelt it at one time or another. I only smelt mine when it was brand new.

I also find that my intake of burritos seems to affect how often I smell it when getting out of the X. Kinda weird huh [Too much XOC]
hahaha...LOL..

Yea, mine had the same problem when it was new but at 3 years old and 63k on it I haven't noticed it in a while.

#472096 - 11/10/05 06:19 PM Re: wierd exhaust odor?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Mine tends to smell like a shit sandwich at times too, it has off and on since we've had it. No biggie.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal