2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#473694 - 04/08/05 10:09 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

D ROCK, Actually installing the fog lights is pretty straight forward. For the switch, remove the plastic steering cover (3 screws) and the two tabs that hold the switch. Remove the electrical connector, plug the same connector to the new foglight/turn signal switch, put the tabs in place, you are done. For the fog lights itself, it comes with one clip, nut plate & bolt for each light. Absolutely no fabrication/jerry rigging/cursing is reqd. Nissan does an excellent job with accessories. Hope this helps.

#473695 - 10/08/05 05:24 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm guessing that some of you are debating whether or not to spend the money on the Nissan fog lights.

IMO it's worth the money, especially for off-roading. I drove a lot of dirt roads this summer after dark, and I felt the fog lights made a big difference.

They're in a perfect position to illuminate hazards directly ahead and down-low on the road -- more than once I avoided hitting a deer, jackrabbit, or other critter because of how much better I could see the road right in front of me. They were also great for navigating sections of slickrock at dusk.

To compare, the stock fog lights on my wife's Wrangler just create a sort of hazy glare in the distance, no matter how I adjust them.

#473696 - 12/08/05 08:01 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm waiting for Nissan to offer a fog light package. I know a buddy of mine got some for his Titan for like $150. It came with 2 lights, the stalk and mounting hardware. $300 seems rather steep to me.

#473697 - 12/08/05 08:23 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by Allahades:

IMO it's worth the money, especially for off-roading. I drove a lot of dirt roads this summer after dark, and I felt the fog lights made a big difference.
I would disagree with this... the fogs do not provide enough light to be worth anything over $100 for OFFROAD purposes. There are much better lights available if that is your need. For offroad, get 100w lights (preferably floods rather than pencilbeams) and wire them for easy removal. Also, if you do intend on upgrading the front bumper (winch in mind) then the fogs are a total loss. Just my thoughts... however... the fogs do look cool, thats for sure! smile

#473698 - 12/08/05 09:42 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really love these forums because they've been so helpful, I am a Jeep Wrangler YJ owner as well, and I didn't think there were as many hardcore fans of Xterras as well, So thanks for everyone's input on all subjects here. I'm still looking into the fog light situation for my X, if there IS anyone who is upgrading their OR or SE's front bumper and don't need their fog light units, shoot me an email or post, I'd be happy to help you relieve yourself of them for slightly less than dealer cost, I want a stock look, but the price is a bit steep, I'm looking into getting the factory stalk switch and figuring a way to rig up the wiring from an aftermarket set of lights with the preinstalled wiring. My big concern is fit, and what goes into the bumpers and mounts up without hacking away at the bumper. ANyone have suggestions as to what fits cleanly?

#473699 - 19/08/05 05:45 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

fastdrmr said:
Quote:
If you need more help with the electrical schematics I am sure you can find them here on XOC. The relay approach is the only way to go, and once you figure out the 87, 88, etc. meanings they are simple.
The wiring with a relay is pretty simple stuff. I just added backup lights and posted the wiring diagram here clicky . I included a Radio Shack part number for the relay that a lot of folks have used too. It's an easy substitution for other lights instead of backup lights. And the trigger source can also be any +12V connection as well. So with all this in mind, the diagram is pretty generic. Hope this helps anyone interested. Shoot me an email if you need more. Always glad to help a fellow X'er if I can.

-G-

#473700 - 19/08/05 07:43 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
5 trucks for you!!!

#473701 - 20/08/05 09:00 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

The bottom line is that the OEM fogs are underpowered, and comperably DIM. U can do much better after market, and u SHOULD already have the endings for the fogs attached to ur X. they come off of the same line so the harness should be the same, just minus the lights. Look in aftermarket lighting. U can do better than OEM

#473702 - 23/08/05 05:54 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

So has anyone actually installed aftermarket lamps into the stock holes on the S? I really want to put something in there, but I'm hoping to have a look at some pictures so I can plan out the install and make sure I have everything I need to do it in one weekend. I'm primarily concerned about brackets for mounting the lights and wiring of the switch.

#473703 - 23/08/05 12:02 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you think the OEM lights are not too bright, get some PIAA Xtreme white bulbs, H11 series. You will be amazingly surprised how white & bright they are. That is what I have on my X

#473704 - 23/08/05 02:19 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's what I did, installed factory fog lamp units into my S, got the replacement turn signal stalk and then swapped out the bulbs. I got 100w white bulbs, but for whatever reason, they didn't fit the light harness the way the factory bulbs did (they had an internal tab mounted opposite the factory so they were backwards). I had to shave off the internal tab then install the bulbs, but they are standard H11's and work pretty good. I also put replacement bulbs into my headlights and then got the silverstar silver replacement turn signal bulbs, makes the front end look a little different and the light is much whiter than standard halogen bulbs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal