Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#474019 - 09/12/05 04:35 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

My pressure warning light comes on at about 32 psi. I've tested them over and over, but at least one of my four sensors must have been calibrated wrong. At some point, I will have to get the dealer to fix this.

#474020 - 15/12/05 03:22 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow...so much info and posts on this. I'm shocked!

So, my Low Tire Pressure warning came on one(1) day after I had it new from the dealership. I know that the system has to be synched up to the sensors during the PDI(Pre-Delivery Inspection) process. The only way to do this is by having the dealership technician plug into the OBD II port for the computer and synching/reseting the system. Something i'm having the dealership do next week. I agree, the warning alarm for it is truly obnoxious. I've checked my inflation every few days since I don't have much to do since the accident. All tires are remaining @ 32psi. I don't get too many hot/cold variances since I live in Southern California and we don't really have "weather" here.

I'd love to know how many people experienced this problem shortly after they got their XTerra brand new. I can't believe that the technicians flagg 3/10ths of an hour for 2 or 3 minutes worth of work to do this.

I love my new XTERRA! I've wanted one since they first came out in 2000. After my Ford Expedition got wrecked and was deemed a total loss, I went out and got myself what I've been craving for years. Now i've got it and couldn't be happier about the choice. Although in Southern California, it took some searching to find an Off-Road model in 4WD and a manual transmission...but I GOT IT!

Great site, will remain a life-long member if possible. Great tips and tricks too!

B.

#474021 - 15/12/05 03:26 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might want to pump your tires up to at least 35 psi to see if the alarm clears.

I have found mine will not clear at 32 psi.

Could save a visit to the stealer.

#474022 - 15/12/05 04:13 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my 2005 two weeks ago on Thursday Dec 1st. Right after I pulled out of the dealership I went home and packed my stuff for my snowboard trip to Mammoth. So I was on my first road trip 2 hours after I drove off the dealer smile Anyway, so I get to about 30 miles before Mammoth and it was snowing, so I turned on my 4x4 and left it on all 4 days. About 30mins after the low tire presure light goes on. I checked the tires the next morning and they were fine. The light was on the 4 days I was there. It finally turned off about 40mins away from Mammoth, by this time I had it back on 4x2. Someone told me it was the below freezing temps and high altitude. I'm hoping that's true and not that something is wrong with my sensor. Does this make sense to you guys? I'm no car expert smile

#474023 - 15/12/05 04:21 PM Re: Pressure sensor
zates Offline

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
The recommended psi is located on the inside door jam of the driver's side. Mine is 35 psi (05 SE). I would make certain that your tire pressure is at this level. My pressure sensor light came on, and my tires were actually low. Once filled to 35, and after a short drive, the light went out.

#474024 - 15/12/05 08:45 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, Cold temps make the pressure lower relative to the outside.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_Monster:
I got my 2005 two weeks ago on Thursday Dec 1st. Right after I pulled out of the dealership I went home and packed my stuff for my snowboard trip to Mammoth. So I was on my first road trip 2 hours after I drove off the dealer smile Anyway, so I get to about 30 miles before Mammoth and it was snowing, so I turned on my 4x4 and left it on all 4 days. About 30mins after the low tire presure light goes on. I checked the tires the next morning and they were fine. The light was on the 4 days I was there. It finally turned off about 40mins away from Mammoth, by this time I had it back on 4x2. Someone told me it was the below freezing temps and high altitude. I'm hoping that's true and not that something is wrong with my sensor. Does this make sense to you guys? I'm no car expert smile

#474025 - 16/12/05 06:40 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Make sure you are using a good quality tire guage. The sensor goes off at 28psi. If you are using a cheap gauge then there is a chance that the pressure is below 28psi and the gauge is showing 32.

But yes, temp plays a big part in tire pressure.

#474026 - 16/12/05 07:24 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had mine go off the other day here in Maryland when the temp dropped to about 15 degrees. Checked the tires and they were all showing about 28 pounds. I inflated them to 32 or 33 and drove like 3 feet and the light went off. The light had never come on before so I'm pretty sure it was the cold temps. They must have been sitting at 29 or 30 for the last couple months.

#474027 - 16/12/05 10:59 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

My God this whole pressure detection system seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Cold temps, one tire down a few pounds, alarms going off...it is ridiculous.

Find a way to disable the damn thing and just check the pressure every so often or when something feels really strange. When a single tire is down to about 15 psi you will feel a pull...it is not like the truck is going to flip on next curve.

The whole tire wear thing is "overblown" as well. A few pounds mismatch will not significantly reduce wear. If you check pressure pressure every few months this will not be a problem.

Plus, if you off-road (or play in deep snow), you will be constantly changing pressure.

I like many of the 05 enhancements, but the whole tire pressure thing is more for BMW's and mall crawlers, not the X.

#474028 - 17/12/05 02:26 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

re: cold temperatures and lower tire pressure...

I'm going from memory on this, but I think you lose 1 PSI for every 10 degrees the temperature drops.

#474029 - 17/12/05 02:52 PM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RedDog:
Find a way to disable the damn thing and just check the pressure every so often or when something feels really strange. When a single tire is down to about 15 psi you will feel a pull...it is not like the truck is going to flip on next curve.
I agree, anyone good with wiring schematics? I'd love to just bypass the whole system. Our 300M has the TPM system but that actually tells you what pressure is in what tire, even the spare. If the X is just going to tell you something may be off, who cares? Anyway, it would be nice to know if there were an easy way to disable this thing. Any takers?

#474030 - 19/12/05 07:44 AM Re: Pressure sensor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RedDog:
My God this whole pressure detection system seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Cold temps, one tire down a few pounds, alarms going off...it is ridiculous.

SNIP
Well, I have an 05, and let me tell you from experience, it works as advertised.

People that don't own one thinks the alarm keeps going off. Not so. It'll sound one time, then the idiot will stay on. It won't sound again until the system has been reset. No need to pull fuses, or rewire the X. The system works perfectly.

SUVs are top heavy, and more prone to rolling. With the added weight, they are also more likely to roll a tire off the bead. Lots of data online about this topic.

Mine went off once, I had a low tire. Later that day I shot 35 PSI in all of them. Problem solved, alarm reset, hasn't sounded again in a month.

If you haven't read the new regulations, here ya go:

In April 2005, NHTSA issued a rule requiring automakers to install systems in all new passenger cars and trucks by the 2008 model year, beginning a phase-in with 2006 model year vehicles.

All vehicles will have this soon...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal