Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47797 - 14/10/02 03:10 PM Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
I've noticed some trucks have an electric fan in front of the radiator and some don't. Anyone know what option package included this fan or why it's there in the first place? My 2002 XE-S/C doesn't have it. This weekend we had 8 trucks and I didn't see why some had and others didn't. I thought it might have been part of a tow package, but 2 of the trucks with the fan didn't come with hitches and 1 with the factory hitch didn't have it.

One odd thing coming back from GOX there were 3 of us driving together and the 2 with the fans were having overheating problems.

#47798 - 14/10/02 03:38 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
c.chang Offline

Loc: Northern, VA
Do you have a/c?

#47799 - 14/10/02 03:52 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
I believe Nissan ditched the electric fan for 2002.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#47800 - 14/10/02 04:25 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
I saw an x that had a/c but no fan. confused
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#47801 - 14/10/02 04:59 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Aero Steve Offline

All of the X's I looked at had AC. Also some of the trucks without it were 2001's.

#47802 - 14/10/02 05:58 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's an auxillary fan that comes on as a backup when the main fan isn't enough; such as when idling and when the A/C is on. I've never seen an Xterra that didn't have one so you've baffled me. Then again I've never looked closely at the '02's and I've never seen an Xterra so stripped it didn't ahve A/C.

One thing though: Are you sure the others that were missing hadn't removed the factory fans altogether and installed electric fans behind the radiator? A few people have done that with mixed results. Generally the electric fans installed to replace the engine driven fan don't pull as much air through so that could be why they were overheating. More than likely that's what you saw at GOX.

confused

#47803 - 14/10/02 07:09 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Aero Steve Offline

None of the guys in my club have removed it. We weren't aware some had it and some didn't. The owner of the 2001 SE without the fan is very minimally modified: Tires, Surco Rack, ARB and lights. He didn't know about the fan either.

#47804 - 15/10/02 07:00 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I have a fully loaded 2001 SE, and I DON'T have this "mystery fan" people are talking about either. I've also NEVER had an overheating problem in the year I've owned my truck. A while back I posted a thread about a "mystery plug" I have tucked up near my horn that is not connected to anything. I bet this open plug is for this fan in question.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#47805 - 15/10/02 07:45 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Aero Steve Offline

I noticed the mystery plug on mine last week, and wondered how it was wired. I couldn't find the fan or mystery plug in the ESM.

#47806 - 15/10/02 10:18 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Takeabreath Offline

Loc: Indianapolis,IN
Only the 2000's, the real SUV's, have the fan stock. I believe Nissan removed the auxilary fan for 2001 possibly to save money (but still charge $400 more than the MSRP the year before). Nissan also rearranged the wiring and hoses under the hood to not make it look like such a rat's nest, for 2001, and then again in 2002 and 3 to allow room for the SC. There is also something else omitted from the 2001-2003's under the hood, wiring-wise, but I can't recall right now what it is.

#47807 - 15/10/02 11:06 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
ChuckH Offline

Well, FWIW I don't think the Aux fan is needed. Aside from saving money they probably realized it wasn't doing anything. I think mine has come on maybe 3 times since I bought the truck in October of '99 and all three times it was very, very hot out and I was sitting idling. Even so the temp was not much beyond what we normally see. Nissan probably figured out that it wasn't needed.

Guess I'll have to start looking more closely at other trucks now.

#47808 - 16/10/02 05:20 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I have a 2000 w/ an electric fan and I've had overheating problems. Of course, I also had a cracked manifold - could that be related to the overheating?

My overheating occurred when it was really hot out (~95) and I was driving on a steep uphill at about 80 with the A/C on. Turning the A/C off and slowing to about 70-75 would usually stop the temperature from rising, and but it would remain high until I started to go downhill again.

#47809 - 16/10/02 12:17 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Weird. All Xterras have come with A/C, even the bare-bones 4-cylinder models. The AC evaporator should have an electric fan on top of it in front of the driver's side of the radiator. If this has been dropped, I have no idea why.

I know on some Frontier models there was some discussion of a second electric aux radiator cooling fan, not for the A/C, and the extra harness connection behind the grille that was still there after it was dropped from production. Or something like that. Regardless, I would think all Xterras have the A/C fan at least.

A picture of the fan can be seen in this Ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1866666539

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#47810 - 16/10/02 03:03 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Mel Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area (sillycon valley)
I have the same problem with overheating. I've been battling this problem for 6 months now. I've changed the thermostat, had the radiator rodded out, and still it overheats. Dealer didn't see any problems the first three times i took it there.

#47811 - 16/10/02 07:45 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
c.chang Offline

Loc: Northern, VA
Anyone going to, or have, plug in an electric fan into the mystery plug and see if it works. I m curious, if I had the time I d do it. smile

#47812 - 16/10/02 08:51 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by c.chang:
Anyone going to, or have, plug in an electric fan into the mystery plug and see if it works. I m curious, if I had the time I d do it. smile
keep in mind that after you plug it in you'll have to let your truck sit out in the hot sun idling with the A/C on for a long time before the thermo switch would kick the fan on. Of course if they left out the fan they probably left the thermo switch out too!

#47813 - 16/10/02 09:40 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Takeabreath Offline

Loc: Indianapolis,IN
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckH:
[QB]Well, FWIW I don't think the Aux fan is needed. Aside from saving money they probably realized it wasn't doing anything. I think mine has come on maybe 3 times since I bought the truck in October of '99 and all three times it was very, very hot out and I was sitting idling. Even so the temp was not much beyond what we normally see. Nissan probably figured out that it wasn't needed.

That's three times it was needed, apparently. The X was not made just for normal use, but also for those extreme uses where temps may go "out of range."

#47814 - 17/10/02 03:16 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by c.chang:
This is an bad idea, kind of like "what does this big red button do?".

Plugging a potentially high current device into an unknown connector is very likely to cause you grief and expense.

#47815 - 17/10/02 05:52 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
jimbo Offline

I didn't see any "extra" plug in front of my radiator. I did see a plug though (that looks like the one in your picture from ebay) that is used for the temperature probe for my rear view mirror. It is located right near the one connector for the horn.

#47816 - 17/10/02 10:50 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Sean Offline

I have the fancy temp/compass mirror, and I have the "mystery plug".

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#47817 - 25/10/02 06:27 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
OnlyOneDR Offline

On the Frontiers it was present until September of 2000 on the '01s, afterwards it persisted on the SC trucks through the end of the model year. The rest retained the wiring harness. For '02 it was dropped altogether, along with the harness. Most report that it only ran when the A/C was on. I have the harness but no fan on my truck, and am looking to add the fan to help my A/C get colder in this Texas heat. My truck has never gone beyond the halfway mark on engine temp.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#47818 - 27/10/02 12:36 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Mine has the fan

2001 XE with tow package. Weird
Never had any overheat problems either.
Pic of the fan behind the calmini bumper

#47819 - 27/10/02 04:13 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Sean Offline

Xman6,

How is the fan attached, brackets or thru-core? Has it ever come on, and if so, when? Does it look like for those who have the wiring harness in their truck for this fan option, would it be an easy install (with a stock fan)?

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#47820 - 27/10/02 08:16 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
I didn't get the package that allows power windows/locks, ect. My foglights didn't come prewired so it's no surprise to me that I don't even have the mystery plug.

#47821 - 27/10/02 10:33 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
My X, a 2001 (build date of 5/01) does not have the fan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal