Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47822 - 27/10/02 04:23 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Mine does have it. It's a 2000 with a 4/00 build date.

As far as I know it hasn't ever come on. If it has, it's awfully quiet. I always hear the elec. aux fan on my "second car," it's hard to miss. Is this one reeeeeeally quiet or does it have to be as hot as the sun out to kick it on??

#47823 - 28/10/02 12:45 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Xman6,

How is the fan attached, brackets or thru-core? Has it ever come on, and if so, when? Does it look like for those who have the wiring harness in their truck for this fan option, would it be an easy install (with a stock fan)?
Well I think I have heard it come on as I can hear a fan kick on and off. I say think because I have never stood and looked at it to make sure it is it and I don't like to assume. I am away from the X (work) righ now so I can't answer about how it is attached right now but will look later.

#47824 - 28/10/02 07:06 AM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I think it kicks in only when the A/C is turned on, correct? It might operate at other times, but I don't think so.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#47825 - 28/10/02 12:02 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
It looks to be mounted with brackets to parts of the body and a metal bracket that goes from one end of the radiator to the other. Not sure if everyone has this or not. As far as when it kicks on I don't believe you are right Brent but I can't be sure. I hardly ever {usualy never)run my air and and I know I have heard it kick on while sitting at a drive through without the air on. Again something I wont sware to but can almost be sure. If needed I can take pictures and also see when it kicks on and off. Guess I never really paid much attention to it before.

#47826 - 28/10/02 12:35 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I had an electric fan in my 2000 model, as I remember distinctly taking the truck to an outdoor fair at the Bass Pro Outdoor world in Atlanta and having a guy ask if he could look under my hood, as we were talking about 4x4's.

He said to me, did you install the electric fan? I said nope, I just thought that it was another cooling fan.

My 2002, I believe, has one as well. I will go out and check.

#47827 - 28/10/02 12:52 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
In the 2000 the extra fan is turned on by the ECU. The A/C switch and the engine temperature sensor are simply inputs to the ECU which decides whether or not the fan should be on.

#47828 - 02/11/02 10:50 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
My 2002 SE SC does not have the fan.

Build date of 8/02

On a side note, there is pleanty of room up in front for one heck of a fan! I was suprised at how much space is between the grill and radiator.

#47829 - 07/11/02 01:54 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I think it kicks in only when the A/C is turned on, correct? It might operate at other times, but I don't think so.
I have A/C in my 2001X, but I have no fan.

XMAN6 and I basically have the same Xterra (same year, same packages), but he has the Towing package while I do not, and he has the fan and I do not.

Just a guess, but the fan would be useful in maintaining the engine temp which could increase under the xtra strain of towing a load.

That is the only reason I see for this difference between our X's.

edited to add: Now the question I have is were the X's with the fans pre-2001, and was the hitch on the X without the fan bought as part of the factory package, or purchased after the original sale like mine?

#47830 - 07/11/02 02:03 PM Re: Factory electric fan in front of radiator
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
Plugging a potentially high current device into an unknown connector is very likely to cause you grief and expense.
Ken, do you have a wiring diagram for a 2001 X which indicates what this mystery plug is wired to???

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal