2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48262 - 04/06/02 02:56 AM K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
...is posted in the Reviews Section .

#48263 - 04/06/02 05:34 AM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Ian: you are not affraid to suck in water?

#48264 - 04/06/02 06:07 AM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Afterwards did it average out to normal or higher mpg ? (don't know your starting numbers)

#48265 - 04/06/02 11:40 AM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Ian: you are not affraid to suck in water?
Sucking in enough water to damage the engine is impossible unless the filter itself is submerged. In which case it would make no difference if it was an exposed element or the factory closed airbox.

#48266 - 04/06/02 11:50 AM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by xcanuk:
Afterwards did it average out to normal or higher mpg ? (don't know your starting numbers)
I would say slightly better or the same. Definitely not worse.

#48267 - 04/06/02 12:18 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]Ian: you are not affraid to suck in water?
Sucking in enough water to damage the engine is impossible unless the filter itself is submerged. In which case it would make no difference if it was an exposed element or the factory closed airbox.[/b]
i dont know how your air box is, but my air box is NOT too clean from outside, i know its all from splashing from fan, or just mud, water geting in through small openings under the hood, but i am just trying to picture what the filter will look like after a trip offroad, and running into a water/mud puddle

#48268 - 04/06/02 12:32 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
i dont know how your air box is, but my air box is NOT too clean from outside,
I think he means those splashes of mud and water aren't enough to hydrolock the engine.

#48269 - 04/06/02 02:39 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
Quote:
[b]i dont know how your air box is, but my air box is NOT too clean from outside,
I think he means those splashes of mud and water aren't enough to hydrolock the engine.[/b]
It won't necessarily hydrolock the engine, but I'd keep two filters. One in the truck, one clean and ready in a box. I'm sure it'll get plenty muddy and filthy on a good day's run.

Not sure if I want to do this yet. I like the added security of the stock airbox, the cleaner environment for the filter, etc. But I wouldn't mind a little more performance/mileage - especially later with an aftermarket exhaust.

Sigh... Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

#48270 - 04/06/02 04:26 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
XOC,

Thanks for the review smile

FYI currently the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK) is being tested on an Xterra & Frontier and will be CARB approved, street legal, and available soon after from what I’ve been told.

The possibility of water getting to the filter from splashing caused by the fan & the partially open exposure with this charger kit is a real drawback for me. I'm hoping the FIPK offers more protection?

#48271 - 04/06/02 05:47 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The oil in the filter element will repel water to some extent. You would have to be hard on the throttle and have a river coming in to suck a significant amount of water through, I think. I have other things like my alternator and my stereo amplifiers that don't like water anyway, so I've just made the decision to stay out of anything deep enough to reach those. Not to mention all the factory electrical on the floorboard and such. I would have to go deeper than that to hit the intake.

I will be interested in seeing how Ian's emissions come out. I would expect that there will be little or no effect and can't figure out why there would be. All the factory hoses are still attached and everything, so shouldn't be a problem. Hope not because I tossed my old intake shit away except for the accordian intake tube and the actual filter box. bye bye, no room for you! [Wave]

#48272 - 04/06/02 05:53 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
It won't necessarily hydrolock the engine, but I'd keep two filters. One in the truck, one clean and ready in a box. I'm sure it'll get plenty muddy and filthy on a good day's run.
I thought you guys had figured out how to drive correctly off-road by now [Freak]

Did you guys look at the inside of my engine bay in the pictures ? Look at my stock airbox. That's almost 3 years of 4 wheeling, and I have never washed it.

If you want to ruin your trucks by splashing through mud puddles at high speed go right ahead. If you drive through water and mud correctly, you will never have a problem.

We ran Medano Pass 4 times last week for a total of 40 water crossings (18-20" deep) and 48 miles of deep sand and dust and the filter is still as clean as it was when I installed it.

#48273 - 04/06/02 05:55 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
All the factory hoses are still attached and everything, so shouldn't be a problem. Hope not because I tossed my old intake shit away except for the accordian intake tube and the actual filter box. bye bye, no room for you! [Wave]
My thoughts exactly. I expect it to pass.

PNWX should put together a pool of money to rent a small storage unit to put all their parts in. laugh
Someday, someone is going to want to sell their Xterra, and those factory parts will add a lot to the resale value.

#48274 - 04/06/02 06:32 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
RabidRaider Offline

Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
I gotta say Ian...that's probably the most helpful thing I've ever seen posted in here. Nice install.

#48275 - 04/06/02 07:11 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
To quote Ian's review....."Performance is increased. Finally something that makes up for 32" tires and 500+ lbs. of gear on board. Down low, below 2000 RPM very little is felt, but above that, especially from 3000-5000 RPM the power increase is noticeable, and that's where I need it most for passing", "driving with my foot down to listen to the rumble of the intake."

Wooohooo!

Totally true! Buy one they are worth the money!

-Rick

#48276 - 04/06/02 08:05 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
[b]All the factory hoses are still attached and everything, so shouldn't be a problem. Hope not because I tossed my old intake shit away except for the accordian intake tube and the actual filter box. bye bye, no room for you! [Wave]
My thoughts exactly. I expect it to pass.

PNWX should put together a pool of money to rent a small storage unit to put all their parts in. laugh
Someday, someone is going to want to sell their Xterra, and those factory parts will add a lot to the resale value.[/b]
I was thinking about a storage unit just for all my parts and 4 wheeling stuff until I saw the cost on them. eek

Now I just hang on to stuff i think will be useful to someone at some point...like extra shocks and such.

#48277 - 04/06/02 08:15 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Quote:
[QB][/QB]
Please go get some dyno runs with and without as I'm curious to see performance numbers. Our trucks may be different vehicles, but a few members in our club have gotten before and after dyno runs and all have shown losses w/ the K&N FIPK despite the cool sound and thier all scientific seat of the pants dyno meter.
-Chris

#48278 - 04/06/02 08:33 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

It goes up hills in 4th that it used to require 3rd gear for. That's good enough for me.

The last thing I want to do is put my stock tires, stock exhaust system and stock intake back on to start running dyno tests. I also can't afford $225+ to have it done (3 or more tests in different configurations at $75 each at Dyno-Pro here in Denver).

If I can find a 5 speed Xterra in the Denver area with 32" tires and stock intake/exhaust, I will try some head to head tests.

#48279 - 04/06/02 08:43 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
If I can find a 5 speed Xterra in the Denver area with 32" tires and stock intake/exhaust, I will try some head to head tests.
Do you mean dyno comparisons? Pointless. Worthless data. If you dyno'd 10 Xterras of similar configuration, you'd get 10 different results. There is no way you can assume that someone elses truck would give you an accurate enough baseline for comparing your truck.

#48280 - 04/06/02 10:37 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
There is no way you can assume that someone elses truck would give you an accurate enough baseline for comparing your truck.
More of just a high school style drag race on a long deserted road laugh

#48281 - 04/06/02 11:15 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
More of just a high school style drag race on a long deserted road laugh
Definitely cheaper, and more fun. Well, fun and drag racing in an Xterra are two concepts that are difficult to integrate.

#48282 - 05/06/02 06:30 AM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Quote:
[b]There is no way you can assume that someone elses truck would give you an accurate enough baseline for comparing your truck.
More of just a high school style drag race on a long deserted road laugh [/b]
That's what ChuckH and I did, and I was still pulling away from him? We figure we are pretty close in weight but he has the Gibson exhaust!

-Rick

#48283 - 05/06/02 07:30 AM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
That's what ChuckH and I did, and I was still pulling away from him? We figure we are pretty close in weight but he has the Gibson exhaust!
Yeah, but we didn't do a straightline drag and you were in front of me the whole time. I couldn't accelerate any faster because you were in the way. :rolleyes:

If I put some street tires on, ditch my sandals, and we go side by side, I might be able to take you! [Finger]

#48284 - 05/06/02 04:34 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
Ecks Offline

Just the Aircharger made the difference between 3rd and 4th on a grade?

#48285 - 05/06/02 04:58 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Quote:
[QB][/QB]
Yea, if you don't have any money I'll let you off the hook. On the same note I just located a dyno shop here in Bakoland which charges $75 per hour w/ a $20 setup fee. I have about 6 runs planned including one w/ the K&N FIPK and the shop said I should be able to get all 6 runs done withen the hour.
-Chris

#48286 - 05/06/02 10:29 PM Re: K&N AirCharger Installation and Review...
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecks:
Just the Aircharger made the difference between 3rd and 4th on a grade?
That and my exhaust.
One doesn't work very well without the other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal