2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49109 - 16/10/04 04:18 PM I no longer have a first gear...
Zaskoda Offline

Loc: Austin, TX 2000 Green XE M...
I've always had clutch problems. Before I hit 20k, my clutch sometimes got "stuck" when making normal take-offs and would hang halfway out.. I would have to reach behind it with my toe and pull it out.. and it would smell like.. well, like bunch clutch. I took it into the dealership, but they were never able to reproduce the problem... and it kinda went away.

I'm just almost at 100k now. A few days ago, I noticed my stick would wiggle when taking off (how many times in life do you get to say that?). Anyway, the wiggle got worse quickly, such that it would pop out of gear easily... then, it would pop out of gear every time... and by the end of that day, there was no more first gear at all. I now have to take off in 2nd.

I was considering replacing the clutch anyway, and I'm hoping it's clutch related... but it's only first gear and everything else is smooth and clean... so I'm worried it's the transmission...

Anyone have any insight for me?

#49110 - 16/10/04 09:30 PM Re: I no longer have a first gear...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, you need 1st gear, 1st gear baulk ring and the 1-2 synch sleeve. Which basically means you need a trans rebuild. Probably should put all the baulk rings (synchronizers) in at the same time. Look at the bearings (you can get an aftermarket bearing kit with all the seals included as well) at the same time.

As far as the clutch hangine up, you may have a worn nose cone. It's what the throwout bearing rides on. A new one is probably in order.

Get a new clutch while your at it. Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bushing. Be sure to have the flywheel resurfaced, stepped, of course. If you off road it, then you may consider getting a heavier duty clutch, with a stronger pressure plate, and a little beafier disk.

#49111 - 17/10/04 12:49 PM Re: I no longer have a first gear...
Zaskoda Offline

wow, that sounds like a couple grand...

what are the chances that I really need to replace the 1st gear itself?

#49112 - 17/10/04 01:17 PM Re: I no longer have a first gear...
Anonymous
Unregistered

100%.

The engagement teeth have sheered off. The synch sleeve might be saveable (if you plan on selling it) as well as the baulk ring. Ignore the rest of the trans and put it all back together and it might be perfectly fine. But it does need to come apart and have 1st replaced.

#49113 - 19/10/04 01:15 PM Re: I no longer have a first gear...
Zaskoda Offline

thanks for the info.. a shop told me today that I'd be looking at between 1200 and 1500 after parts and labor :-/

#49114 - 19/10/04 01:30 PM Re: I no longer have a first gear...
Zaskoda Offline

Aye, sorry about the double post, had a couple of more questions come up...

I also forgot to mention that I am running oversized tires (32")

Ok, I read in another thread that the torsion bars have to be removed to replace a clutch - does this mean I'll be needing to get an alignment done? Is this a good oportunity for me to replace the torsion bars with something stronger (I have an ARB bullbar).

Among the parts I need to replace, are there any wise upgrades I can make in the process?

Thanks again :-)

#49115 - 20/10/04 07:33 PM Re: I no longer have a first gear...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Calmini torsion bars would be a good upgrade. Help with the weight of the front end. But yeah, unless they get the ride height perfectly back to where it is at now, then you'll need an alignment.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal