2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#491670 - 20/07/09 04:41 PM Speaker Upgrade
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

So ... I'd like to upgrade all of my speakers in my truck within a reasonable range. I don't like to let quality suffer for price but do not like to pay 400 for 2 speakers. Can someone basically outfit my 2003 XE with all new speakers? I just feel like I dont get enough sound out of it. Maybe I need an amp? idk. Everything is stock except for my Pioneer DEH-P3000IB head unit. Thanks in advance guys.

#491701 - 21/07/09 10:05 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Roadwarrior Offline

Loc: Asheville
do you have the A pillar tweeters?
and
what are you looking for in speakers? of course your 6x9's in the back are going to be more of bass, and your 6 3/4"s are going to be more of mids and highs.

if your looking for more of bass, go with the rockford fosgates or pioneers. i put the pioneers in the back, and love them. Crutchfield only carries the Alpines, so i went to best buy (money hole for electronics) and looked. The guys there.. dont know what they are talking about. but i knew what i as looking for.

the 6 3/4"s are a whole different story. if you have the tweeters, and would like to replace them along with the front speakers. go to crutchfield and see what they offer in the "componet speaker system". these are the front speakers, without the tweeters, and they also include the tweeters in the "system". I put the Infinity Reference's in the front with the moving tweeter. i like that because my highs are projected to me and not my legs.

Also who makes a great speaker is Infinity Kappa. The Alpines are nice.. but pricy.

"What you pay for, is what you get"
buy cheap speakers, expect cheap sound.
buy moderate speakers, you may be suprised at how great they sound.

if you want any more help, just ask. im almost always on.

#491707 - 21/07/09 11:28 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Adam Offline

Loc: Upstate, SC
I like the Boston Acoustics for the Xterra. Good speaker, and the cone surround material won't crumble if you get it a little wet, the crossovers are sealed also.

If you want more bass, add a 10 or 2. I am about to sell my box and amp and 10's as I am stripping out the truck for a more purpose built vehicle.

If you were close I'd give you a good deal on them wink But I am assuming you are in MD.

"I don't know where we're going, but we're making GREAT time!"

#491709 - 21/07/09 12:13 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Roadwarrior Offline

adam, where are you in SC? im in NC and could be interested in them.

#491722 - 21/07/09 02:10 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

I do have the A pillar tweeters. Up front near the dash where the handles are correct? There are speakers there I just feel that I dont get enough volume out of the system without it sounding overloaded. I see the infinity references on there for $139 not bad. It says that the a pillar tweeters dont match any size and to call them for custom mounting. Did you do this? I just want something with more crisp and clean sound than what I have now.

#491737 - 21/07/09 07:26 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Roadwarrior Offline

i didnt do that. i just mounted them in the 6 3/4" holes, and tilted them towards me. i forgot that the Tweeters are a weird size. when you replace all of the speakers whether good or incredible, they will sound better. i may not have the Focus speakers that are about 800 a speaker, but my system still sounds really good.

#491744 - 21/07/09 11:11 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

Okay so I'll swap out everything but the a pillar tweeters. I guess I'll get the 6 - 3/4's with tweeters? Is this a bad idea? I like the infinity's for $139. I might try to do both the 6x9's and 6-3/4's both pioneer... as for the crossovers. I dont know much about them besides that they block certain levels of frequencies ie. low mid and high. So, with that being said what are speakers that are going to be good with my head unit (Pioneer DEH-P3000IB) with built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)? Sry I'm basically a noob to all of this.

#491749 - 22/07/09 06:03 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Have you gone on crutchfield.com? They have tools that'll show you everything that fits your vehicle. Great for comparison shopping. One caveat: I bought Pioneer 6x9s for the back and Crutchfield said they wouldn't fit but they did. I don't think they list any 6x9s for the back due to mounting depth, which you do have to watch.

Let us know what you end up with please.

#491771 - 22/07/09 01:58 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: BlueSky]
Adam Offline

if you get 6x9's with a large magnet, you will need a spacer, but they will fit fine. Your main problem is that headunit, it isn't powerful enough. I'd get one that does 50w RMS.

Edited by Adam (22/07/09 01:59 PM)

#491837 - 23/07/09 06:13 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

So now I'm looking at getting an amp and some speakers. It adds up so quickly... haha. Anyway is it understood that you can install any amp to any aftermarket head unit. I ask because I have an aftermarket head unit and am concerned about the HU'S amp outputting only 22 watts @ 4 ohms. I was looking at the Alpine MPR F-300 with the 6x9 Infinity kappa's for the rear. Still not sure about the front. All I see in stores are 6 1/2" not 6 3/4". Also I was told to be concerned about depth. What is the maximum depth I need? Sorry best buy and P.C. Richard and Sons aren't very helpful (Too bad circuit city closed). If someone might suggest some speakers for the front door panel? Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

#491838 - 23/07/09 07:00 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Roadwarrior Offline

at best buy if you buy the front speakers, then you have to get a bracket/adapter. it is free if you ask. that is what i did. at first i didnt have it. and then my speakers were shorting out on the door metal. so i got the brackets, reinstalled the speakers, and they work great now. so the 6 1/2"s work, but you need the brackets.

#491845 - 23/07/09 09:11 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

awesome thanks Roadwarrior. Still somewhat worried about the depth of the infinity kappas. Also, to amp or not to amp? It sounds confusing to wire everything up but I'm always up for a good project and can always go to best buy and pay them $3572903859023852 to install what I can't finish. If I get TOTALLY screwed. Even then I probably wouldn't do it. So maybe infinity's up front and infinity kappas 6x9 in the rear? IDK probably ordering from crutchfield or ebay. AMP or no amp? Thanks

#491847 - 23/07/09 10:38 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Roadwarrior Offline

without an amp= great sound
with amp= kick @$$ sound. you will get your total money value out of the speakers, and with best buy? there isnt anything wrong with the nerds installing your speakers.

so i just looked at the speakers i installed in my x. the 6x9's are at a 4 1/8" mounting depth.. i wouldnt go past that. but on crutchfield, i would look at this link and see what you like. in the areas of mounting depths..

this is what i think would best suit you in your price range
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS609/Alpine-SPS-609.html?tp=105&avf=N
this would match your front speakers (yes i know you cant see them.. but they are the matching set)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1089632CF/Infinity-Reference-9632cf.html?tp=105&avf=N
with 94db max, these will be louder (with an amp.. they would be SICK!!)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB691/Polk-Audio-db691.html?tp=105&avf=N
these are marine certified.. meaning you can soak them, and they will still play. if your into getting stuck.. in the ocean or river, or lake.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086929I/Infinity-Kappa-692-9i.html?tp=105&avf=N
and these are my favorites. in your price range, these are the best of the best.

and here is the link for the 6 3/4" the mounting depth is 1 13/16". but i have the shallow mounted ones.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html?tp=94&avf=N
Shallow mounts

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600/Alpine-SPS-600.html?tp=94&avf=N
great sounding speakers, and they would match the 6x9s if you got the matching set.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600/Alpine-SPS-600.html?tp=94&avf=N
great speakers, although you HAVE to use the bracket.. or else they dont fit (but that doesnt matter)

i would go with a 6 3/4" so you dont have to worry about the bracket, and i would also try to stay away from mounting depth higher than 2 1/2"

let me know what you think.. haha spent so much time.. crutchfield kept going into maintenence, so thats why this took so long

#491855 - 24/07/09 05:59 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Adam Offline

Install them yourself, use the factory brackets, I had to dremel mine out a bit to accommodate the 6.5 Boston Acoustics I used in the front, the tweeters fit fine.

The rears will need spacers to clear the magnet, mine are made out of 1/2" thick plastic, and they too fit with no obstructions.

The reason I say get a 50W headunit is amp mounting, there's really nowhere to put one out of the way except under the passenger seat, and you're limited there.

#491856 - 24/07/09 06:15 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Roadwarrior Offline

adam, what year is your x? when itook out my speakers, the bracket was attached.. so i had to use a bracket from best buy.

and my rear speakers fit, without the spacer.. what are you running for all of your speakers?

#491862 - 24/07/09 07:32 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

WOW thank you so much! That post that probably took you 2 hours really helped me out a lot. I am really leaning toward infinity reference and kappa. I heard them in the store and they sounded much better than the alpines that you also suggested. The deepest mounting depth you said you'd go was 4 1/8". The kappa's that you pointed out in your link are 3 7/8" depth. Kappa tech specs
Crutchfield doesnt show that they'll fit in the outfit my car area but I see that they're shallower than 4 1/8". They should fit without modification correct? As for the speakers you have in the front. They don't come with a crossover like the 6x9 kappa's do. My question is should I look at component sets that include crossovers? Kinda stumped on the front. As for the rear I lovvveee the Kappas. Thanks

#491872 - 24/07/09 11:51 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Adam Offline

you have to peel off the bracket, it's glued and screwed on. I have an 01.

I like Boston Acoustics, and have 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the rear driven by a Pioneer headunit that puts out 50x4 RMS

Boston only makes speakers, so they have to be good. Matter of factly, they make Dodge's new extremely high end factory system.

My bimmer has Carver branded speakers in it, and the factory system is THX certified. STILL sounds better than the X after over about $1500 of aftermarket stuff.

Just remember that midline speakers are plenty, the mounting locations you get in the X aren't the best in the world.

Edited by Adam (24/07/09 12:01 PM)

#491879 - 24/07/09 01:39 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Roadwarrior Offline

my front ones the speakers was apart of the bracket.. well anyways bracket or no bracket.. i agree with adam when saying that bostons are amazing.

if you want the cream of the crop, go with focus. but they are like hundreds, if not thousands for a set of them.

#491897 - 25/07/09 03:56 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Adam Offline

Originally Posted By: Oceancitysurf77
My question is should I look at component sets that include crossovers?

Yes, do a component set for the front. put the xover in the kick panels, and you'll be good to go.

http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/car/ca...;product_id=400

That tweeter comes off so you can mount it in your tweeter pod.

I would highly suggest this set for the Xterra though:
http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/car/ca...;product_id=338

These for the rear, you WILL need a spacer, as Boston uses HUGE magnets.

http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/car/ca...;product_id=343

Edited by Adam (25/07/09 04:02 AM)

#491901 - 25/07/09 08:24 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

Well I guess if you both say boston acoustics then maybe that's what it'll have to be. BUT! I am a little confused on what you mean about a spacer. What is the function of the spacer? Where is it placed? Is it a B*tch to install?

As I've said, I REALLY appreciate this guys. It seems for either infinity or boston acoustic, the fronts seem to fit right out of the box, As for the 6x9 rears, it seems that some mod. has to be done for both brands.

One more thing. If I have a 4 channel amp to power these at 50x4 RMS I will still have to program the high/ low pass filters even with the crossovers correct?

Thanks guys

#491908 - 25/07/09 06:04 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Adam Offline

the speakers in the front need a 3 hole to 4 hole adapter ring that is a spacer... I modified my factory one, a lot of people buy them from Crutchfield.

The rear if you use a 6x9 needs a spacer to space it out so the magnet doesn't bend your fender out.

The spacer is just a piece of wood or whatever to move the frame of the speaker out of the door or fender a little.

#491912 - 26/07/09 05:37 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Oceancitysurf77 Offline

Ok so i'll need to order that bracket from Crutchfield. Explaining it will be the hard part haha. Not sure what you mean by bend my fender out. When I think of a "spacer" I think of it adding to the overall mounting depth of the speaker. Maybe i'll google speaker spacers or something to get a better idea. Or do you mean on the inside where the cone is? So what i'm getting out of this is that a spacer makes it so the speaker bumps out a bit so that it has a bit more room to fit in to the space?
Do they make these or are they just fabbed at home?

#491916 - 26/07/09 07:45 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Oceancitysurf77]
Adam Offline

it reduces the depth of the speaker by putting the face of the speaker out further from the fender, and with the speaker, the magnet follows.

if you bolt the speaker in as is and the magnet is too big, you will A) Bend the speaker basket... or B) Dent your fender. both very bad.

If you buy your speakers from Crutchfield, the brackets are free.
For your existing head unit that makes 14 watts, you need to go with a smaller magnet... I'd choose these for the front:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SL60/Boston-Acoustics-SL60.html?showAll=N&tp=105

and these for the rear:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065S65RC/Boston-Acoustics-S65RC.html?showAll=N&tp=105

They will supply both the front and rear adapter plates and wiring harnesses so they plug in.

The reason I wouldn't recommend the 6x9 for the rear is your power out on the headunit, it won't push the 6x9 effectively...

#491922 - 26/07/09 10:11 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Adam]
Roadwarrior Offline

adam, your second link is for a pair of 6 1/2"s were you thinking of mounting them in the back instead of the 6x9's that way you could have decent sound, without straining the headunit?

#491930 - 27/07/09 03:27 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade [Re: Roadwarrior]
Adam Offline

yep.

And ordering from crutchfield, you'll get the mounting plates you need to adapt it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal