2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#462729 - 30/04/08 10:41 AM v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see quite a few people, drooling over a possible v8 xterra.
What I was wondering, is why someone would want a v8. The v6 we have now is pretty peppy.
If you are an off roader, would that power come in handy? Not being an off roader I dont know?
I would like to see a diesel, which would extend our mileage, and produce more low end torque if needed. And going away from the electronic 4wd shift.
So tell me, why a v8 is desirable in this vehicle?
Stay safe

#462730 - 01/05/08 01:33 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

flatfoot,
I see your post and I gotta tell you, I have no idea... It seems Nissan is actually moving AWAY from the big push for a vehicle with better gas milage. I too, would like to see them put in a diesel or biodiesel option.

The fact that the Nissan engineers put that V8 into the Xterra may have only been to up the HPs and still be able to work with something they were familiar with. They would also be able to say that the engine was built by Nissan.

All in all, this is still a lot of speculation. Personally, I'd like to see Nissan develop something to compete with the Hummer HX as a stock vehicle.

#462731 - 01/05/08 04:30 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

One reason only. Cause there is a v8 in the pathy, which is almost exactly the same as the Xterra/fronty. Its an easy thing to do, which could increase sales and net profitability for as little capitol input as possible. Thats the bottom line of why they would consider it.

As far as MPG goes, it takes x hp to push x weight with x coefficient of drag at x mph. It takes x fuel to make that x horsepower. If tuned properly, you would only loose the mpg that it would take to push the extra weight of the v8 *this is assuming all other factors such as tires, etc stay identical*.

#462732 - 01/05/08 07:47 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for an engine swap I would love the inline 6 from my BMW dumped into my X.
Great torque at Low RPMS

#462733 - 01/05/08 08:13 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool The VQ40 V6, is already to strong for the--

--Existing Differentials, I would hope that Nissan IMPROVED them, before ANY changes in the engine !!

-- laugh laugh --JIMBO

#462734 - 01/05/08 09:20 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mynameis:
As for an engine swap I would love the inline 6 from my BMW dumped into my X.
Great torque at Low RPMS
As a side note, did you ever see that program on television(either learning, discovery or one of those)that takes you through the bmw engine factory, and shows how they build that inline 6, part by part. I think it was an hour program. Pretty detailed. I look to see it again, to show the wife, but havent seen it again. Makes you want one. LOL

Stay safe

#462735 - 01/05/08 09:46 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too can't see the point especially with the way gas prices are going. Nissan has produced the Pathfinder and Navara/Frontier overseas for years with 4 cylinder and diesel options yet we don't see them either. In New Zealand the Nissan diesels are recognised as being really good strong and long lasting motors.

We don't get the Patrol either V8 or diesel.

#462736 - 01/05/08 10:01 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nissan diesels are being built for the U.S. as we speak should see next year.

#462737 - 01/05/08 02:47 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would really like to see a cost comparison of a gas engine vs diesel. Some of the obvious variables would be:

1) Diesel engines get better miles-per-gallon, but diesel costs more per gallon.

2) Since the acquisition of a diesel engine itself almost always costs more than a gas engine, this would somehow need to be factored in.

3) Perhaps there are cost differences/advantages when long term maintenance is considered?

4) I also understand that there is more torgue with a diesel, but that is a plus only if you need it.

When I was younger and more foolish I considered the 2006 Jeep Liberty. Their new I-4 diesel was advertised as having the torque of a V-8, with the pep of a V-6, and the mpg of a 4 cylinder.

I am led to believe it was discontinued shortly after release because it missed one or more of those "benchmarks."

#462738 - 02/05/08 07:40 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoBudDog:
I would really like to see a cost comparison of a gas engine vs diesel. Some of the obvious variables would be:

1) Diesel engines get better miles-per-gallon, but diesel costs more per gallon.

2) Since the acquisition of a diesel engine itself almost always costs more than a gas engine, this would somehow need to be factored in.

3) Perhaps there are cost differences/advantages when long term maintenance is considered?

4) I also understand that there is more torgue with a diesel, but that is a plus only if you need it.

When I was younger and more foolish I considered the 2006 Jeep Liberty. Their new I-4 diesel was advertised as having the torque of a V-8, with the pep of a V-6, and the mpg of a 4 cylinder.

I am led to believe it was discontinued shortly after release because it missed one or more of those "benchmarks."
I'm not going to do too much with the math here except to say that diesel seems to be going for around $4/gal here and regular unleaded at $3.50/gal. That's roughly a 12.5% difference, so as long as the diesel's mileage is better than that differential, you're ahead. As for the overall cost of adding the diesel, you'd have to double the cost in gallons due to that differential to make up the difference. If it's a $1K increase, it'd take 2K gallons to offset that. At 17mpg, that's 3,400 miles, no?

So, 1 and 2 are probably handled there. I do believe that diesels are roughly similar in terms of maintenance, not 100% sure, but I think so. Especially since pretty much everyone has fuel injection now.

The biggest advantage I'd see is the ability for one to supplement their diesel purchases with some of the different biofuels - the used cooking oil, etc. It's not a long-term solution, but it's there.

#462739 - 07/05/08 09:47 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I'd like a V8 in the X because I love the sound and power of a V8 - that is all. I realize that adding a V8 would mean changes to the rest of the driveline, and I am OK with that.

As for the gas vs. diesel comparison, you'll want to factor in the cost of the fuel filters and oil filters. IIRC, filters for diesel engines cost considerably more than ones for gas engines.

#462740 - 08/05/08 12:36 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
If it's a $1K increase, it'd take 2K gallons to offset that. At 17mpg, that's 3,400 miles, no?
I think you meant 34,000 miles. The UK version of the Frontier has a diesel 4 cyclinder in it and it gets good mileage and lots of torque

#462741 - 08/05/08 05:51 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd just like to have the option for a V8. Then we as consumers can decide if we want one or not.

#462742 - 08/05/08 07:36 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The VQ40 V6, is already to strong for the--

--Existing Differentials, I would hope that Nissan IMPROVED them, before ANY changes in the engine !!

#462743 - 11/05/08 08:41 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mnemonic:
I'd just like to have the option for a V8. Then we as consumers can decide if we want one or not.
Ah...the old want vs. need theory

The 4.6L V8 in a new Ford Mustang makes roughly 35 more HP than the 4.0L V6 in a 2nd Gen Xterra.

Need it? Perhaps not. Want it? Perhaps.

#462744 - 11/05/08 10:30 AM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Quote:
The VQ40 V6, is already to strong for the--

[Spit] [Spit] [LOL]

#462745 - 15/05/08 01:23 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

V8? Why? Already has more power and torque than my previous Chevy 350 V8, and Ford 5.0L.

How 'bout a V6, just as strong as the current engine, but gets 25 MPG?

Better yet, a Titan with a V8 that gets 20 MPG? While it may be a monster on the drag strip, it's mileage is poor when compared to the competition. I'd own one, but 14 MPG in mixed driving ain't gonna cut it. I'm getting 18-20 MPG in the Xterra.

#462746 - 15/05/08 02:16 PM Re: v8 xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

ColoradoBudDog

Though this is not the complete answer, here are some interesting facts and fuel cost projections.

This information is from the Nissan UK website. The fuel milage numbers have been converted to US gallons.

Pathfinder 2.5 liter Diesel 171 HP, 297 lb-ft

Automatic City 18.3 Hwy 27.1 Combined 23.1
Manual City 19.6 Hwy 27.7 Combined 24.0

XTrail 2.0 liter Turbo Diesel 127 HP, 265 lb-ft

Automatic City 26.9 Hwy 42.2 Comb 34.9
Manual City 30.4 Hwy 44.8 Comb 38.2

From the Nissan US website

Xterra 2008 4.0 liter V-6 gas 261 HP, 281 lb-ft

4x2
Automatic City 15 Hwy 20 Comb 17
Manual City16 Hwy20 Comb 18

4x4
Automatic City 14 Hwy 20 Comb 17
Manual City 16 Hwy 20 Comb 18

So, with these numbers and using $3.60 per gallon for gasoline and $4.10 per gallon for Diesel the fuel costs for 1000 miles (using the combined milage) are:

UK Pathfinder 2.5 liter Diesel Auto $177.62, Manual $170.83
UK X Trail 2.0 liter Turbo Diesel Auto $140.97, Manual $128.80
US Xterra 4.0 liter gas Auto $211.76, Manual 200.00

Using the Pathfinder and Xterra automatics as examples, the diesel power is about 16% less expensive for fuel.

#490843 - 25/06/09 03:50 PM Re: v8 xterra [Re: Anonymous]
Cliff Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A
I would like a deisel because I tow a travel trailer. I am sure the fuel economy would be a lot better with the deisel.

#490861 - 26/06/09 06:36 AM Re: v8 xterra [Re: Cliff]
Ron ap Rhys Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
Worth noting is that many of us 2nd gen 6spd types are getting upwards of 19.5mpg on the highway. This is with nothing in tow, obviously, but those numbers appear to be conservative. I even hear of folks getting in the 20-21mpg range, though I'm guessing they live out in the flatlands with no traffic lights and 55mph speed limits everywhere.

Note that folks in the mountains or those with heavy feet may have a significant downwards variance.

#490879 - 26/06/09 10:19 AM Re: v8 xterra [Re: Ron ap Rhys]
Cliff Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A
If I drive my 06 Off Road 65, and not towing, I see between 20 and 21 mpg. If I run at 75 it is normally 18.5. I have been doing a lot of driving at 65 lately.

#492666 - 26/08/09 06:06 PM Re: v8 xterra [Re: Anonymous]
bent42 Offline

"So tell me, why a v8 is desirable in this vehicle?"

It's not. Give me a solid front axle option before a V8 any day. With more and more Soccer Moms going the "crossover" route, the Xterra needs to compete with the FJ (IFS) and 4 door Rubi (Solid Axle) as true off road vehicles. Ask just about anyone who owns a late model Xterra and wheels it what the first major modification they would do, money no object. The answer is SAS. The fact is that IFS sucks for off roading. It always has, and always will. There are race truck and Hummer exceptions, but the fact is that a solid front axle is stronger and easier to lift than the IFS in any current light truck offering.

Unfortunately from a manufacturing point of view, it's probably not economical to make a solid front axle an option, either they'd all have them or none would.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal